• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

That's a great lapel width for a slim cut. I prefer lapel to not be narrow so 3.375" is good.

So you have to go contemporary to get 3.5" lapels? Is so, that's good to know. If I ever order a suit I'll have to order contemporary and have it tailored. I'd prefer a little bigger than 3.5.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you have to go contemporary to get 3.5" lapels? Is so, that's good to know. If I ever order a suit I'll have to order contemporary and have it tailored. I'd prefer a little bigger than 3.5.

MTO one in the slim fit measurements with bigger lapels. With 30% currency advantage your value is insane.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No MTO. 30-35% more if I remember correctly, you can change some styling details, like pockets and lapel size.

But if your comparing sale price & tailoring vs MTO, than yes its a good option. As long as you can get the right fit.

Last edited:

TommT

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

I'm a big fan of your company and after seeing a sample of one of your suits.

I recently purchased a 3 Piece Blue Small Check - Contemporary Fit and 3 dress shirts during the Black Friday sale. I was so impressed by the quality and attention to details of the shirts i ended up buying 4 more.

I had a few questions.

Will you be offering more 3 Piece suits in the future? Can I add a vest to an existing OTR suit?

The selection of Sports jackets was limited, will there be more Sports Jackets coming in?

Also, I noticed you didn't have any black shirts in slim for the OTR. When will new selection of dress shirts be coming in?

Thanks!!

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their mtm is twice as expensive. That doesn't really make sense. I'd rather order contemporary and have it tailored.
S&M's custom program only cost about 450 USD (House fabrics). I think is a pretty sweet deal considering what you can do with it.

Check back in a few weeks, I actually commissioned a custom suit when I was in last time and its a bit outlandish, but exactly what I want. Pics to come. ( also got a shirt too)

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Rick,

I'm a big fan of your company and after seeing a sample of one of your suits.

I recently purchased a 3 Piece Blue Small Check - Contemporary Fit and 3 dress shirts during the Black Friday sale. I was so impressed by the quality and attention to details of the shirts i ended up buying 4 more.

I had a few questions.

Will you be offering more 3 Piece suits in the future? Can I add a vest to an existing OTR suit?

The selection of Sports jackets was limited, will there be more Sports Jackets coming in?

Also, I noticed you didn't have any black shirts in slim for the OTR. When will new selection of dress shirts be coming in?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the support!

We don't have immediate plans for 3-piece for the upcoming SS group. But you can add a vest to an existing suit for an additional $150 CAD. Takes about 4-5 weeks.

We are working on a small new group for spring to slowly re-introduce our sportcoat line. The new hopsack will be the first to roll out. The major release will be for FW16.

We have black solid shirts in the pipeline, but I don't have a solid date on their release just yet. We have new shirts arriving in store on Tuesday. Should be up online about a week after that.

S&M's custom program only cost about 450 USD (House fabrics). I think is a pretty sweet deal considering what you can do with it.

Check back in a few weeks, I actually commissioned a custom suit when I was in last time and its a bit outlandish, but exactly what I want. Pics to come. ( also got a shirt too)

If you are in the GTA area, we have custom suits starting at $399 for some decent beater cloth. Very limited, but good to test for fit, styling etc. We also have a group of House Cloth from Filarte that is $499. These are all great office suits in Super 110's. Some good patterns available. Limited stocks, of 5-8 suits only in each cloth.

As mentioned, by jdrizzy, we do our best to accomodate all styling requests. Lapel width, gorge height, button stance, pocket size, etc can all be customized in our MTM program.

MTO is based on our OTR cut, so can't do too much to the fit, except Take in/Let out Waist, lengthen/shorten sleeves/jacket length. But you can change lapel width, lapel style, Make the jacket 3 roll 2, select pocket style. This is Reg. OTR + 30%, so $583 CAD or $440 USD at current exchange. This would only apply to OTR fabrics as well. There is a surcharge for fabric upgrades, which opens the program up to hundreds of fabrics.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Thanks for the support!

We don't have immediate plans for 3-piece for the upcoming SS group. But you can add a vest to an existing suit for an additional $150 CAD. Takes about 4-5 weeks.

We are working on a small new group for spring to slowly re-introduce our sportcoat line. The new hopsack will be the first to roll out. The major release will be for FW16.

We have black solid shirts in the pipeline, but I don't have a solid date on their release just yet. We have new shirts arriving in store on Tuesday. Should be up online about a week after that.

If you are in the GTA area, we have custom suits starting at $399 for some decent beater cloth. Very limited, but good to test for fit, styling etc. We also have a group of House Cloth from Filarte that is $499. These are all great office suits in Super 110's. Some good patterns available. Limited stocks, of 5-8 suits only in each cloth.

As mentioned, by jdrizzy, we do our best to accomodate all styling requests. Lapel width, gorge height, button stance, pocket size, etc can all be customized in our MTM program.

MTO is based on our OTR cut, so can't do too much to the fit, except Take in/Let out Waist, lengthen/shorten sleeves/jacket length. But you can change lapel width, lapel style, Make the jacket 3 roll 2, select pocket style. This is Reg. OTR + 30%, so $583 CAD or $440 USD at current exchange. This would only apply to OTR fabrics as well. There is a surcharge for fabric upgrades, which opens the program up to hundreds of fabrics.

ETA of the hopsack spoatcoat??

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
I placed my first Spier & MacKay order and the wrong sized shirt was packaged. I sent 2 emails (to 2 addresses) last week to arrange return/exchange but have yet to receive a reply. What is your expected turnaround for email inquiries? I am content with the shirts received in the correct size but wish to address the other asap. Thanks.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I placed my first Spier & MacKay order and the wrong sized shirt was packaged.  I sent 2 emails (to 2 addresses) last week to arrange return/exchange but have yet to receive a reply.  What is your expected turnaround for email inquiries?  I am content with the shirts received in the correct size but wish to address the other asap. Thanks.

What's your order number?

Normally we respond within 24 hours to emails. Recently weve been incredibly flooded with the black Friday, but emails are still being answered. I'll look into this and get that sorted for you ASAP. Please pm me the order number.

Apologies for the mixup.

Billyum

Reaction score
Rick, I received the 2 suits I ordered during the Black Friday sale. Thank you being able to swap pants as long as they are available. I was worried since I saw the orders were being shipped quickly, but my request was granted and I received the different pants I had asked for.

I can't wait to get the suits tailored and add them to my rotation!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads