• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe formality hierarchy

Geezer

Reaction score

Geezer, you must be a rare exception.
I work in the Square Mile, in one the UK's ever-popular investment banks. I wear black monkstraps on occasion but very rarely see another pair. What I do see are lots of square-toed loafers and the occasional pair of ridden hard, put away wet Derbies.
Having worked in the City on and off for the last twenty years I can confirm its reputation for any sort of male sartorial elegance is grossly inflated.
The best dressed City workers I've seen are in Tokyo, the twenty and thirty something office workers there were almost universally well-dressed.

This proves my point.

Geezer

Reaction score

Very interesting that you say this because to my knowledge the only difference between the 888 and the 82 is in the shape of the toe. To say that the 888 is over-elongated and the 82 is not strikes me as a bit strange.

Maybe, but my 888s feel too long, and my 82s do not. Perhaps because the latter are more pointy, but 888s definitely have more out front.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about something like the C&J Edgware?

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Edgware-Darkbrown

It's an oxford, but the slight brogueing and the floating medallion sort of make it hard to place in the formality hierarchy. Also, am I right in assuming Manton will hate the floating medallion?
Fred

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DressedWell

Reaction score
A black oxford is a formal shoe that can be worn black tie and for formal occasions.

Everything else is less formal.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jermyn

Reaction score

Wholecuts to me are newfangled and don't belong on any list, much less feet. Definitely not the dressiest shoe because they are too untraditional.

+ a gazillion

I've always found the opposite to be the case.
My opera pumps are a type of wholecut. It doesn't get more formal than that.

Here is Simon Crompton of Permanent Style's list, in order from most to least formal: http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/08/sliding-scale-of-formality.html

Shoes Trousers

Wholecut Oxfords - Worsted wool

Toecap Oxfords (quarter brogues) - Worsted wool/linen or cotton

Monk-front shoes - Worsted wool

Half-brogues - Worsted wool/linen or cotton

Derbys (Bluchers) - Flannel/worsted/cords or khakis

Smart slip-ons (Norwegian split-toe) - Worsted/cords or khakis

Full brogues (wingtips) - Flannel/cords

Suede/Nubuck - Anything but worsted

Deck shoes - Cords or khakis/jeans

Driving shoes - Khakis/jeans

I don't necessarily agree with all of it (I wear brown suede half brogues with a navy suit and think it looks great) but broadly it seems right, at least in London.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've always found the opposite to be the case.
My opera pumps are a type of wholecut. It doesn't get more formal than that.
Here is Simon Crompton of Permanent Style's list, in order from most to least formal: http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/08/sliding-scale-of-formality.html
Shoes Trousers
Wholecut Oxfords - Worsted wool
Toecap Oxfords (quarter brogues) - Worsted wool/linen or cotton
Monk-front shoes - Worsted wool
Half-brogues - Worsted wool/linen or cotton
Derbys (Bluchers) - Flannel/worsted/cords or khakis
Smart slip-ons (Norwegian split-toe) - Worsted/cords or khakis
Full brogues (wingtips) - Flannel/cords
Suede/Nubuck - Anything but worsted
Deck shoes - Cords or khakis/jeans
Driving shoes - Khakis/jeans
I don't necessarily agree with all of it (I wear brown suede half brogues with a navy suit and think it looks great) but broadly it seems right, at least in London.

reread what manton wrote.

tbh, i don't give a **** what SC does. no offense.

Jermyn

Reaction score

reread what manton wrote.

Manton wrote that he considered wholecuts to be 'newfangled' and untraditional.
I disagree because one of the most formal and long established of shoes, the opera pump, is a wholecut.
The lack of embelishment (in this case stitching) is what gives the shoe its formality.

tbh, i don't give a **** what SC does. no offense.

A needless lowering of the tone.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Manton wrote
that he considered wholecuts to be 'newfangled' and untraditional.
I disagree because one of the most formal and long established of shoes, the opera pump, is a wholecut.
The lack of embelishment (in this case stitching) is what gives the shoe its formality.

great

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton wrote that he considered wholecuts to be 'newfangled' and untraditional.
Wholecuts may resemble an opera pump to some degree, but neither has history or tradition in the business world. If you are referring to evening wear, then I think that an opera pump is the most formal shoe. I still wouldn't know where a wholecut fits in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads