• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe formality hierarchy

Jdroberto

Reaction score
So is it correct to say that a whiskey colored longwing is almost always too casual to wear with a suit?

New to the forum and really enjoying it so far. Wish I had checked it out before I made my recent suit purchase.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So is it correct to say that a whiskey colored longwing is almost always too casual to wear with a suit?
New to the forum and really enjoying it so far. Wish I had checked it out before I made my recent suit purchase

depends on the fabric.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes, it depends on the fabric and probably color as well, a mid grey suit should work with a whiskey longwing in my opinion

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mebbe, with country suits.

Curious how EG Audley's would be classified? Plain toe, high strap with a Balmoral line. To me, definitely a reasonable pairing with a worsted suit.

Audley_burgundy_NT1.jpg

Last edited:

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Curious how EG Audley's would be classified? Plain toe, high strap with a Balmoral line. To me, definitely a reasonable pairing with a worsted suit.

View attachment 1015914
I would wear this with a suit without giving it a second thought.

I live in Chicago and work in one of the most conservative business dress environments one can find. I wear a suit almost everyday. For the record, when it really matters, I wear a navy suit, white shirt and black plain toes. Period. For all other days (ie not a first time big client meeting or with significant influencers) I wear the gambit of balmorals- all colors/styles

I have no issue wearing a brown plain cap toe or walnut Wing tips.
I also wear a number of shell cordovan with suits.
I have even wore suede with a flannel suit. Monks too.
However, I will never wear a blutcher with a suit.

Bottom line is black plain toes are at the top
And then there is a range of balmorals that will work with suits depending on color, fabric, and occasion.
Then there is a line that should not be crossed. Blutchers are that line.

txm22

Reaction score
n.

I always find these types of statements way too sweeping. I think a sleek two/three eyelet derby is plenty appropriate for wear with suits in a conservative business dress environment, arguably more so than many balmoral shoes (e.g., light browns, medallion toes, some brogues, etc.). Hell, Sean Connery pulled it off as Bond (http://www.bondsuits.com/2-eyelet-derby/).

Formality of the shoe depends on the shoe itself more so than the category of shoe (i.e., not all cap toe bals will be more suit-appropriate than all plain toe derbies).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear this with a suit without giving it a second thought.

I live in Chicago and work in one of the most conservative business dress environments one can find. I wear a suit almost everyday. For the record, when it really matters, I wear a navy suit, white shirt and black plain toes. Period. For all other days (ie not a first time big client meeting or with significant influencers) I wear the gambit of balmorals- all colors/styles

I have no issue wearing a brown plain cap toe or walnut Wing tips.
I also wear a number of shell cordovan with suits.
I have even wore suede with a flannel suit. Monks too.
However, I will never wear a blutcher with a suit.

Bottom line is black plain toes are at the top
And then there is a range of balmorals that will work with suits depending on color, fabric, and occasion.

I completely agree with you regarding pairing the EG Audley with suits. That was my take and recently picked up a pair. Without a doubt, they are the most elegant shoes I own. Although I work in an environment that absolutely is not a conservative business dress setting (and BTW don't even own any black dress shoes because my work attire does not require it. I personally consider dark brown to be richer and more elegant than black anyway). And I would not hesitate to wear my Audley's with the finest suits I own (Cesare Attolini, Super 210's), for occasions when I either choose or that warrant more formal attire. However, my interpretation of formality is not strictly defined by conservative business dress norms.

It is clear that your work social context is quite different, and your personal "rules" about shoe pairings with suits reflects your experience in that culture and setting. Totally understandable and appropriate.

I came across this relevant piece from the Parisian Gentleman that I found to be an interesting commentary on how the dynamic between the social/business contexts that we function in have continually evolved and defined/redefined the contemporary norms of the and conventions of "formality". It is also a nice commentary on the concepts of formality vs. elegance.

https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2014/10/21/shoes-and-sartorial-rules-the-time-and-the-place/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads