• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retail's prejudice against the slim

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as we are talking about retail's prejudice against the obese, how about their prejudice against the slim? It is impossible to find a size 36S jacket, or even a size small shirt / polo / sweater, let alone an XS. 14.5 shirts as well are impossible to find RTW.

Jon.

ATM

Reaction score
As long as we are talking about retail's prejudice against the obese, how about their prejudice against the slim? It is impossible to find a size 36S jacket, or even a size small shirt / polo / sweater, let alone an XS. 14.5 shirts as well are impossible to find RTW.

Jon.
And what about 32" as the shortest sleeve length?.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ April 18 2005,16:01) As long as we are talking about retail's prejudice against the obese, how about their prejudice against the slim? It is impossible to find a size 36S jacket, or even a size small shirt / polo / sweater, let alone an XS. 14.5 shirts as well are impossible to find RTW. Jon.
And what about 32" as the shortest sleeve length?.
Well, its not a good thing, but at least sleeves can be shortened. Jon.

Tyto

Reaction score

Jon.
I toyed with starting this thread--glad you stepped up.

[rant]

36S is not only difficult to find, but it's rarely even *made* by many firms. I think BB has one Brooksease suit in 36S, JPress is a little bit better (their tropicals are available in 36S, but I couldn't find anything else last fall), but Southwick RTW doesn't go below 38, and many places that stock Southwick at great prices don't carry anything under 40 anyway.

And we can just forget about so many of the really great deals at places like McGee, Orvis, Polo, because even if they make a 36S or a small or XS (rare), they're long gone by the time the sales hit. Okay, Polo sometimes has some 36S, but unless you want black or black pinstripe, forget it.

Also, the Small/XS/36S/14.5 clothing, when you can find it, seems like little more than a shortened and re-collared 15.5. I'm not exactly emaciated, but I can't count the number of 14.5 shirts that still billowed on me.

[/rant]

We had a short/slim thread going right around December or January (basically a compilation of places we could get 36S/14.5 or below), but I've been unable to find it in the archives. Does anyone have a link to it?

Also, re: the boys' dept. We could shop there (and I have, on occasion), but what about when you want the quality stuff? not too many makers have canvassed or 1/2-cavassed suits for boys, let alone the nicer fabrics.

I remember a BB salesman telling me how lucky he thought I was that I could fit into a boys' Brooksease, thereby saving myself upwards of $200 (and, really, he was right in a sense). But what I really wanted was the beautiful gray flannel across the aisle in the mens' department, a suit that came in 38R at the smallest.

stache

Reaction score
Guys you should be shopping in the boys' dept.

Ed13

Reaction score
It is as it is. Whether extremely fat or small and thin, you are going to have problems with buying clothes. I wear a 16.5 shirt with a 36" arm and I find almost all makes extremely baggy. Everything in North America seems to be cut for guys with fat beer bellies. I have the shirts darted and move on. Be thankful you aren't a "normal size" (5'9" and look 6+ months pregnant). It would suck to be normal.

Brian SD

Reaction score
This is why American RTW is vastly inferior to European RTW, in which smaller sizes are almost always stocked in boutiques (in great numbers, as well).

gj555

Reaction score
We should also call this manufacturers prejudice against the slim. So many manufacturers create clothing that is cut really wide.

For example, a 15 shirt fits perfectly in the neck but is so big in the arms and torso. (14.5 will not do up on me). Who in the world has a 15 neck with massive biceps and pecs?

I notice the same problem for pants. 31 or 32 may fit (or nearly fit in the waist) but is too big in the legs and just below the but (letting out a 30 1.5 inches fits better than taking in a 32 .5 inches).

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nonsense... Most of wht I carry in the RTW caters to these sizes. And while I dont have yet many styles in 34S and 36S next season will be different. These are the suits that A Harris rated in this thread. http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....;t=4845 Shirts, sweaters etc. are already available in the small sizes. Stop complaining. Â Start Shopping...
smile.gif
EDIT: Â Clod...Wrong thread... Also The suit that DietCookie is wearing in the Reveal yourself thread page 37 is from me... http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....;st=360

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Okay guys, I understand that there is a paucity of stylish clothes made for smaller people, but it's not quite the same as the situation for the obese.  For one thing, if something is too big, it's easier to alter it to fit because you have material to work with.  When something is too small, that luxury does not exist.  

As BrianSD mentioned, you can always move into the European or selected American designer lines that are cut for your bodies.  If you're on the other end of the scale, those options become Casual Male and the King Size catalog, both of which are atrocious.

The point of the other thread was that salespeople mistreat fat people.  If you can prove to me that someone has seen a small person and treated them badly just because of that in a regular retail environment, then please accept my apology.  But I don't think it happens much, if at all, and the very existence of this thread smacks of a mocking tone towards the struggles of our fatter bretheren.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
And what about 32" as the shortest sleeve length?.[/quote]
Humm, most retailers stock that sleeve length. Also, the 14.5 in dress shirts. But not enough are sold to enable them to inverntory more that a few.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
Nonsense... Most of wht I carry in the RTW caters to these sizes. And while I dont have yet many styles in 34S and 36S next season will be different. These are the suits that A Harris rated in this thread. http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....;t=4845 Shirts, sweaters etc. are already available in the small sizes. Stop complaining. Â Start Shopping...
smile.gif
EDIT: Â Clod...Wrong thread... Also The suit that DietCookie is wearing in the Reveal yourself thread page 37 is from me... http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....;st=360
Exactly. If the store you shop at does not carry your size, go to a different store. Nordstrom carries a vast size inventory. Check it out.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36 Shorts are the coolest people around..
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(zjpj83 @ April 18 2005,19:55) 36 Shorts are the coolest people around..
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Which kind of puts the topic of this thread and Steven's correct comments into perspective. This issue isnt about slim its actually about short.
I don't see chaps who are 5'10" with a 42 inch chest and a 32 inch waist too thrilled with their RTW options either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads