1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Retail's prejudice against the slim

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Apr 18, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Well-Known Member

I also need 16.5 and 36 and also find that the shirts that fit my collar and arms are tents. Worse yet I found a grand total of three places where I can get these. So all my recent shirts are MTM.

Mathieu, in a small country of small people

2. alchimiste

alchimiste Well-Known Member

Concerning the lack of small sizes: I think it is the manufacturers not the stores which are to blame. Singaporeans are rather short and slim but stores in Singapore generally don't have anything smaller than 38 or so. I guess that they lose quite a bit of business because of that, so if smaller sizes were widely available to the stores they would make them widely available to their customers.

Concerning the tents: There have been trends towards the baggy (rappers, skaters) in recent years so this may be an contribution. But I think that the main reason is that people are more likely to buy something to baggy than something to tight. Make the shirts slimmer and you lose more business from the fat than you get from the new thin customers.

Mathieu

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Incorrect... Sizes are European, and if you want exact measurements for any particular sweater I would be more than glad to do so. PS: Dont you live in Boca, FL? As in very hot close to the Equator Boca??? [​IMG]

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

(imageWIS @ April 18 2005,22:10) Jon, Am I correct to presume that the sizes on your website are American and not European? If so, whilst I like the look of your sweaters and am wanting to purchase one to try it out, there does not seem to be any in my size. Jon.
    Incorrect... Sizes are European, and if you want exact measurements for any particular sweater I would be more than glad to do so. PS: Dont you live in Boca, FL? As in very hot close to the Equator Boca??? [​IMG]
    A) it does get chilly enough to use sweaters in the winter B) I do travel Just to be clear: Size: 44 Size: 46 Size: 48 Size: 50 Size: 52 Size: 56 Really equals: Size: 34 Size: 36 Size: 38 Size: 40 Size: 42 Size: 46 ? Jon.

5. imageWIS

Addition to above post ^ : sizes on your website.

Jon.

6. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

I think its all about inventory, and controlling costs. The more sizes you have, the more it costs. And, the fact is that an overwhelming majority of americans are overweight rather than slim. What's the point of stocking sizes if there isn't an audience for it?

7. imageWIS

There are enough slim people to justify at least some production. After all there is a reason why The GAP makes almost everything available in XS.

Jon.

8. imageWIS

I have heard however that in Japan small sizes are abound.

Jon.

9. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Correct.

Again... I will measure any sweater you want me to.

10. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Hmm well if you don't want to look into the boys 'dept. consider vintage. People used to be smaller and there are some beautiful pieces out there.

11. thelakes

thelakes Active Member

Kabbaz you should come to the midwest were all that size. 6' 210 36 inch waist here. Its the german food I tell ya.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Heh. I thought that this thread was about me. But NOOO its about *skinny* people.

13. imageWIS

Hahahahaha [​IMG] Jon.