• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PRPS Denim - Any Opinions?

culture

Reaction score
I saw some PRPS Wrkshop jeans the other day, a google search came up with zero info on them.

Theyre made in the USA, they dont have the side snaps, the back tag and leather patch are different and they seem to be a thinner material than PRPS. Anyone have any info on them?

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eckblk
here's the fit guide from UK's/Asia distributor.

http://www.indigofera.co.uk/fit-guide/

Their prices are marsupialed.

From the fit guide: "Although designed by PRPS in the States as a 'tight' fit, by European standards this is a 'slim' fit which narrows at the bottom with a lower rise."
Owch, I didn't know Europeans really saw Americans as that fat. Look at the comparison of American vx. European fit guides at the bottom.
I agree with them though, my black ramblers really aren't very tight, they're about the same as my new standards with a slightly larger leg opening. Great pair of jeans, tho. The denim is super comfortable despite being raw. The black on black selvage is starting to fade around stress points and on the folded black pockets, not so much on the whiskers or combs yet. (Got em off gilt, wouldn't pay full retail for them.) It'll be interesting to see how the fades turn out. Anyone got a pair of faded black ramblers they'd be willing to post?

mike f

Reaction score
I have quite a few pair, mostly barracuda. Generally, the denim I believe is zimb cotton actually loomed in Japan. They are generally a heavy weight, straight cut, some interesting washes, and very high quality. I like Earnest Sewn a lot, but love PRPS, they have a great feel of the Levi's from 30 years ago loomed on older looms, and yes, I'm old enough to remember. But I would say the slim fit is more of a regular fit than slim. Pretty low cut rise too. The do have a great slub to them too. But as someone said, they do distress the jeans a lot and some of the more interesting washes come complete with rust, paint, dirt, sulphur or oil. So you either have to get used to it or avoid them. I think I have 11 pair and only 1 wash was so loaded I had to wash or soak them before wearing.

chomeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike f
I have quite a few pair, mostly barracuda. Generally, the denim I believe is zimb cotton actually loomed in Japan. They are generally a heavy weight, straight cut, some interesting washes, and very high quality. I like Earnest Sewn a lot, but love PRPS, they have a great feel of the Levi's from 30 years ago loomed on older looms, and yes, I'm old enough to remember. But I would say the slim fit is more of a regular fit than slim. Pretty low cut rise too. The do have a great slub to them too. But as someone said, they do distress the jeans a lot and some of the more interesting washes come complete with rust, paint, dirt, sulphur or oil. So you either have to get used to it or avoid them. I think I have 11 pair and only 1 wash was so loaded I had to wash or soak them before wearing.

Jesus. 11 pairs?
worship.gif

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought about 5 different pairs of PRPS recently trying to find a properly fitting pair... ad to return/sell them all. buying online sucks + prps sizing is all over the place.
frown.gif

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
From the fit guide: "Although designed by PRPS in the States as a 'tight' fit, by European standards this is a 'slim' fit which narrows at the bottom with a lower rise."
Owch, I didn't know Europeans really saw Americans as that fat. Look at the comparison of American vx. European fit guides at the bottom.
I agree with them though, my black ramblers really aren't very tight, they're about the same as my new standards with a slightly larger leg opening. Great pair of jeans, tho. The denim is super comfortable despite being raw. The black on black selvage is starting to fade around stress points and on the folded black pockets, not so much on the whiskers or combs yet. (Got em off gilt, wouldn't pay full retail for them.) It'll be interesting to see how the fades turn out. Anyone got a pair of faded black ramblers they'd be willing to post?

My Ramblers are quite a bit slimmer than my APC NS, and the ramblers also have a smaller leg opening... I would APC NS compare more to the Barracuda fit.

culture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
i bought about 5 different pairs of PRPS recently trying to find a properly fitting pair... ad to return/sell them all. buying online sucks + prps sizing is all over the place.
frown.gif

I own close to 10 pairs of prps in various cuts and am a 32 in every one, with the exception of an aged rinse from the first or second season which is a bit tight.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culture
I own close to 10 pairs of prps in various cuts and am a 32 in every one, with the exception of an aged rinse from the first or second season which is a bit tight.
Then they must have redone sizing, because the Barracuda fit jeans I ordered from Gilt measure out to be around 2" bigger in the waist than the same sized Ramblers I own.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Then they must have redone sizing, because the Barracuda fit jeans I ordered from Gilt measure out to be around 2" bigger in the waist than the same sized Ramblers I own.
+1.... its marsupialed bc a size 32 in cudas measure out to 34s in the waist and if you go below a tagged size 32, the inseam drops to 32" which is too short for me.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
My Ramblers are quite a bit slimmer than my APC NS, and the ramblers also have a smaller leg opening... I would APC NS compare more to the Barracuda fit.

Huh, in fit pics the cudas always looked really loose to me. Upon closer inspection/comparison, the ramblers have a *slightly* smaller opening than my NS, but they def. fit a bit looser. Although that's probably because I'm a true 31 and bought my NS in 29/ramblers in 32.
Regardless, the denim is starting to fade after only about 10 wears. The white core of the warp threads is starting to show, but its not nearly as noticeable as on ecru weft denim. Wish I could post pics, but I don't have a decent camera...

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd buy another pair of PRPS tight fit/ramblers if i could find my size.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'd buy another pair of PRPS tight fit/ramblers if i could find my size.

If/when gilt has another sale I'm totally coppin a pair of the raw tight fits. How's the sizing on those, poly, both compared to the black-black ramblers and, say, NS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads