• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label jumper £2000 made in China

SONY007

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I hope everyone is well and looking forward to the festivity.

So here's the thing, I live in London, England and purchased a RLPL jumper which originally retailed at £2000, I'm aware RL always hick the prices initially before reducing it somewhat, so eventually it went down to £1000. Now I really liked this jumper and I had no real intentions on buying another jumper as I have quite a few that are coming up to 12 months that I still haven't worn by RL but because I really like these jumpers I wanted to make sure I had them as I think personally these particular jumpers will not become dated as well as I think I just simply like to collect things that I like within reason.

Anyhow, I purchased this jumper in the end for £800 from the Bond Street flagship store in the UK. The jumper itself wasn't for sale on the website I just saw it when it was showing of some it 2017 fall collection it's site.

This is how it describe the jumper:

'Select sweaters from the Fall 2017 collection are exclusively available at Ralph Lauren global flagship stores. A distinctive jacquard sweater [above] contrasts the casual nature of a crewneck and with a painterly Himalayan mountain-scape and tiger motif in eight colors of felted cashmere-and-wool yarn. The tonal dragon relief encircling a wool-and-cashmere turtleneck references ancient Chinese and Scottish depictions, which are modernized through a complex design of engineered cables and hand-embroidered with cashmere, linen, silk, and wool thread. Artisans spend up to 400 hours hand-knitting Italian wool-and-cashmere yarn into graphic Aran cables, which are hand-placed to create the collection’s most luxuriant silhouette.'

I thought it was a unique looking jumper compared to what RLPL were pushing on their website.

I received the jumper today and the first thing I done was to look at the label, now I tooth's point assumed all RLPL were made in ITALY, this jumper was made in CHINA.

Now I'm not bothered were things are made as long as the quality has not been reduced in anyway because of it. I got on the phone to the store and was told China is one of the locations where products are made especially knitwear, so either Italy or China for RLPL.

I asked him whether the quality would have been compromised but hey he's a sales person what would I expect to say I guess, so yeah he said the quality can even be better than jumpers made in Italy. So I mentioned to him if that is the so why then on all your RLPL jumpers/cardigans in the description you clearly state 'MADE IN ITALY' to use this as a selling point, I've never once seen a RLPL item state 'MADE IN CHINA' as it almost seems obvious why, he proceeded to say "I do see your point, but I assure you the quality will be the same. I then asked him had the label said 'MADE IN ITALY' would it have been the same price in your opinion, he said probably not it would be more expensive.

So the thing is I'm really not sure if I want to keep the jumper now, as I'm probably not going to be wearing it anytime soon and when I do after reading a few articles elsewhere about made in china stuff not hold their shape and stuff, holes emerging from nowhere, also the 'MADE IN CHINA' not being mentioned in the description felt to me deliberate, I don't know.

Has anyone had a similar concern and if so what was your final decision and do you think you were right?

Don't get be wrong I do like the jumper but I think we automatically has this assumption when we hear/see 'MADE IN CHINA' thats all.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 23.07.49.png

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, that whole outfit you posted is ridiculously good.

I've seen RLPL made in China a few times, but quality is good. Would you have noticed if it didn't say it was made in China? It's a badass garment, keep the thing and rock it.

IChen

Reaction score
They do make some pieces in China. I don't know if it's just they do Chinese cashmere or they just finish some pieces there. Piece looks cool. If you like the color, keep it.

Some Italian made stuff aren't great. But they get a country buff for price increase.

SONY007

Reaction score
Now, that whole outfit you posted is ridiculously good.

I've seen RLPL made in China a few times, but quality is good. Would you have noticed if it didn't say it was made in China? It's a badass garment, keep the thing and rock it.

No I definitely would not have notice that the jumper was made in China upon feel & look.

Oh I had already made up my mind to keep the jumper after doing a multitude of searches online just to get that piece of mind that the manufacture location being in China doesn't necessarily mean the quality of the item has been compromised.

Axxl

Reaction score
Funny how some people, mostly of UK or US origin think chinese production means cheap and bad. Is your IPhone cheap or bad? And what about your Chevy, Ford, Lincoln or Cadillac?

These days the brand defines the quality of a product, not the manufacturer. The latter delivers what he is asked for, or paid for.

Just think about it..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads