• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Review: Italian Broletto 'Fasano' Double Monk Strap Shoes - Nordstrom (incl pics)

mahranch

Reaction score
This is my review of the Nordstrom house brand "Broletto Fasano Monk Strap Shoes". I purchased the shoes a few weeks ago from NordstromRack.com for $137. These shoes are made in Italy, full soft calfskin and fully lined. They have a leather sole with (I believe) a Blake welt. An excellent price given the luxurious features of the shoe. But is it worth it? Let's find out...

First Impressions:

First impression of the shoe out of the box was that they were a bit longer/pointer than I had anticipated. The pictures on Nordstrom's website alluded to the toe being rounded and a bit shorter (they mention an "almond shaped toebox"). I believed the shoes (the profile) would be more rounded (or stubbier) due to a comparison with another, different Broletto double monk strap model they have for sale which claims to have a more chiseled toe. This wasn't a disappointment, just different. After wearing them for a couple weeks now, I don't really mind.

Pros:

The construction is what impressed me the most. Stitching was virtually flawless as well as no visible (obvious) defects out of the box. After I first tried them on, I immediately noticed how soft and comfortable the shoes felt. Especially compared to my newer Allen Edmonds. The shoes also appear to be relatively true to size. I wear a size 9.5 E or EE in AE, 10.5 in Aston Grey, 10.5 Rockports and a size 10 D in Broletto. The shoes are also quite gorgeous. They look incredibly nice and have a nice sheen or shine to them right out of the box. They also take polish well too.

Cons:

Unfortunately, I don't believe these shoes will hold up to heavy wear or heavy abuse (wearing them daily). They're too soft, too luxurious. They're not like Allen Edmonds Strands, the leather is way softer and as a result, will wear/break down quicker. They also crease quite easily. That isn't to say the construction is shoddy, it isn't, but that it wasn't made to be durable. It was made to be luxurious. They're extremely formal shoes. Oh, and they're quite loud. I didn't expect them to be that loud. I know some people like that aspect, I don't -- If anyone has any way to quiet these shoes down considerably, I'd love to hear it. I tried putting those Kiwi sole savers on both the heal and sole. It helped on the sole but the heal is the loudest part. It didn't help any there.

Conclusion:

In my opinion, I'm extremely happy with my purchase so far. I would buy this brand again if I needed too. I think they're basically Ferragamo shoes without the hefty name markup. I would go so far as to say the build quality between the two are incredibly similar. I was impressed with these shoes and I would definitely recommend them to others. For the price, I honestly don't think you can do better. To tell the truth, I don't think you can come close. Shoes of this build quality typically start in the $250s and go up from there.

These pics are of the Broletto Fasano double monk straps. Pants are Alberto Ceramica in black (modern fit).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads