• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Debating the merits of hand sewn moccasin-style shoes

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
An old pair of Sperry Gold Cups gave up recently; I damaged the soles wearing them around stain and paint thinner. The rest of the shoes were fine. As I debated replacements, I weighed getting another pair of Sperry shoes against other options - made-in-the-USA shoes from Quoddy and Rancourt, on one hand, and LL Bean. I still have a few other pair of Sperry handsewns around, the pair I'm looking at was made in Indonesia. No matter, the leather on the shoe is very nice, it's well-made, and it has been a durable, comfortable shoe.

I surprisingly ended up on a pair of LL Bean bluchers, and I thought it would be helpful to drop a few photos and comments in. Apologies, I tried to flip the photo showing the place of manufacture, but it didn't take.

First, I didn't go with Sperry not due to any concerns about the brand, but I already have two pair in different shades. I also don't like the white boat shoe soles, so I only look for something with another option. For what it's worth, another, comparable pair of Sperry shoes cost around $160.

Second, I had a hard time justifying handsewn moccasins in the $250-300 range. These are very casual shoes, I mostly wear them without socks, and the goals are comfort and durability. I know the Rancourt brand from a pair of loafers made of chromexel leather that I really like - excellent quality and feel. I'll pay for good shoes; my favorite dress shoes are Alden shell cordovan, and my other shoes are either Alden in regular leather or some old pair of Allen Edmonds that pre-date some of their recent manufacturing follies; I just keep maintaining and re-soling.

Third, my initial impression of the LL Bean shoe is good. The shoe has been around for decades in some form or another. They're now manufactured in El Salvador. The leather is full-grain and reasonably soft - perhaps not quite as much as Sperry's 'glove leather' boat shoes, and unlined vs. the leather lining in some of the Sperry shoes, but a leather that should last and mold to one's feet, as these kinds of shoes are supposed to do. The laces aren't leather, more of a boot lace. I can't recall the last time I had laces break on a pair of moccasins, so this is a style choice primarily. Boot laces would probably outlast leather.

The soles are OK. You can see they're molded and stitched on from the photos. The soles have razor cuts in them, like boat shoes, though not as many, and the sole material isn't as grippy as some others I have worn. Functionally, that shouldn't be an issue; if you want really great traction on wet surfaces, look for something built for people on boat decks. The shoes have a thin insert; unless you buy a moccasin with a more robust midsole and sole, none of the shoes in this category provide much if any arch support or contour.

The shoes run true to size for length and a little wide. I normally buy E width dress shoes; the 'D' is fine for me in these, I'm glad I didn't purchase them in wide/EE - but that's an option if you need it.

Durability, of course, remains to be seen.

I'm pretty impressed with the comfort and appearance considering the price. I had heard LL Bean had gone downhill. I can't compare these shoes to vintage Bean, but they are on par with Sperry. Unless they fall apart, I'll probably wear them happily for a long time.

If you want or need the absolute top-quality option, go with Quoddy or Rancourt. Quoddy makes them to order, lots of choices - for $295. Rancourt has a number of options, including at least one in suede, for $250, but not the same made-to-order choices Quoddyu offers. Just be prepared to pay for it.

Attachments

• image_67199233.JPG
    image_67199233.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image_67215105.JPG
    image_67215105.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image_67162369.JPG
    image_67162369.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image_67214593.JPG
    image_67214593.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads