• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on "Steampunk" fashion

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So they wear top hats and you wear aviator caps?

That's about the biggest difference, really.

Cotton Duck

Reaction score
OK, 3rd time, I get it now, not your thing. Thanks for sharing your insights, go back to worrying about calories and shaping your muscles now.... edit: post is likely to derail, I apologize in advance...

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotton Duck
OK, 3rd time, I get it now, not your thing.
Thanks for sharing your insights, go back to worrying about calories and shaping your muscles now....

edit: post is likely to derail, I apologize in advance...

You've gotta realize, why is incapable of parsing metaphor; pastiche, homage, and especially any combination of the two, are going to be well beyond him. In a way, it's not his fault.
laugh.gif

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
You've gotta realize, why is incapable of parsing metaphor; pastiche, homage, and especially any combination of the two, are going to be well beyond him. In a way, it's not his fault.
laugh.gif

Flawless Victory. Fatality. Thread Over.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
So they wear top hats and you wear aviator caps?

That's about the biggest difference, really.

I think the biggest difference is if Cotton Duck loses the hat a lot of people would not even classify his taste under an overall banner.

I like his look and individuality. He pulls it off and is actually IMHO opinion unique. Unlike all the people in the other pictures who seem to dress the same to prove they are unique.

Great job Cotton Duck.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I always thought that this was the james gang...
jamesg~1.jpg
did Joe Walsh get some work done?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

EmKay73

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotton Duck
Funny, that picture is exactly what I was about to post, while the James gang look like they look at it from a "lifestyle" perspective those people in those park shots just look like cosplayers, like it's a costume they put on when to go to a "steammeet" (or whatever the **** they'd call it)...
They just put on their plastic welders goggles and a waistcoat (if they can find their size that is...) but totally miss the swagger or confidence to actually pull it off well.
the James gang do this without a problem, on the other hand I could see their look be completely raped/butchered by the black eyed peas or someone along those lines for a new videoclip...

Here's a aviator hat I did for myself from salvaged leather (please excuse the stitching, my machine isn't exactly made for multiple layers of leather):
2403966588_7641e9bc37.jpg

Also, if people are interested I could post up some fits of mine where the steampunk influence is more apparent...

I'd be more interested in some basic patterns for accessories like the one for this aviator's hat!

If you have one I'd love it if you passed it on!

Thanks!

baigarman36

Reaction score
I have to agree with TraumStarke. I loved steampunk even before it was... "steampunk" and when my friends considered it "Sky-pirateesque" and it really is such a wonderful and beautiful... well culture if you will, and it would be a shame if it became mainstream because then everyone would ruin it and try to make it something that is not. Plus I can't stand the people who say: "I started wearing this first!" when they obviously did not.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baigarman36
I have to agree with TraumStarke. I loved steampunk even before it was... "steampunk" and when my friends considered it "Sky-pirateesque" and it really is such a wonderful and beautiful... well culture if you will, and it would be a shame if it became mainstream because then everyone would ruin it and try to make it something that is not. Plus I can't stand the people who say: "I started wearing this first!" when they obviously did not.

Was a 2 year old thread ;p

That being said Engineered Garments is a bit steampunkish to me which I guess is part of why I like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads