• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on "Steampunk" fashion

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything, but I'd guess the it'd be some ambient music that wasn't vocally lead. I'm intruiged.

morse9443

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
so, what kind of music do "steampunks" listen to???

I associate steampunk with a lot of the imagery and lyrics from Modest Mouse. Issac Brock seems to always be describing old time traveling circus, cobbstone streets, street urchins, etc. Cool 1920's type of vibe. I find Cotton's look to be very well put together and very different. Being more of a jeans and t shirt guy, I really admire the originality.

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
The final word on steampunk:

Goblin

Reaction score
There was a tabletop RPG called Castle Falkenstein in the 90s that had a heavy steampunk influence and was made of equal parts Victoriana, gears, and win.

I've been on blogging hiatus for over a month now, but I recently did a short blurb about Madame Talbot's Victorian Lowbrow -- http://the99thproblem.blogspot.com/2...-for-evil.html -- and picked up her "Man's Ruin" print. Victoriana isn't one of my principal interests, but I do think it's neat, especially the morbid stuff (memento mori, mausoleum keys, poison bottles, etc.).

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this thread is utterly devoid of visual kei.
visual-kei.jpg

Cotton Duck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacques Cousteau
The final word on steampunk:
reaction to the above video...

what to say...

"love the cog shirt mannnn" (10)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
There was a tabletop RPG called Castle Falkenstein in the 90s that had a heavy steampunk influence and was made of equal parts Victoriana, gears, and win.

I've been on blogging hiatus for over a month now, but I recently did a short blurb about Madame Talbot's Victorian Lowbrow -- http://the99thproblem.blogspot.com/2...-for-evil.html -- and picked up her "Man's Ruin" print. Victoriana isn't one of my principal interests, but I do think it's neat, especially the morbid stuff (memento mori, mausoleum keys, poison bottles, etc.).

Yes, I find the morbid aspects fascinating--taxidermy, hair jewelry, elaborate tombs--compounded with all that strict Christian modesty.

Surfrider

Reaction score
The gentlemen in the op's article have very cool costumes, but, please; they'd wear such things in real life? Really? I think Cotton does it right, though; his dress is influenced by a novelty style, but not of said novelty style.
Originally Posted by totally epic
Steampunk keyboards are sweet. http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml
Impracticality be damned; those things look awesome! Cotton- I think you're approaching the clothing/costume line, but are safely on this side of it; you look great, in a slightly eccentric manner. Well played, sir.
fing02[1].gif
(edit: Though, may I offer a small critique? Honestly, eh, I'm not too sure about the strings on the hats...)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
The fellows in the op's article have cool costumes, but, please; they'd wear such things in real life? I think Cotton does it right; his dress is influenced by a novelty style, but not of said novelty style.

Well yes, they'd wear it in their real professional lives as a "neovaudevillian performance troupe". They also use their facial hair and body language to communicate a Victorial nobility. The women pictured earlier pay no such attention to detail. Their hairstyles are anachronistic- or perhaps just insufficiently anachronistic- and their clothing fails to achieve stylishness in the style of any era, so instead they just end up looking like nerds playing dress-up.

Hugo

Reaction score
Sure it can be cool, I like the jacket to the left on the picture above.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like pretending you're a runway model every hour of the day.

Except you aren't a runway model and the clothes for runway shows generally aren't wearable!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads