• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on "Steampunk" fashion

TheDroog

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on Steampunk fashion?

I've know of steampunk as a genre of science fiction and Japanese anime, but I never heard about it as a fashion movement until today's NY Times article.

It's "an adventurous pastiche of neo-Victorian, Edwardian and military style accented with sometimes crudely mechanized accouterments like brass goggles and wings made from pulleys, harnesses and clockwork pendants, to say nothing of the odd ray gun dangling at the hip. Steampunk style is corseted, built on a scaffolding of bustles, crinolines and parasols and high-arced sleeves not unlike those favored by the movement's designer idols: Nicolas Ghesquiere of Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen and, yes, even Ralph Lauren."

It sounds weird, but the picture of the James Gang in the NYTimes article looks eccentric in a good way.

Has anyone actually seen people wearing this? Do you think it can influence mainstream fashion in any way? Thoughts, opinions?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's an unfortunate hijacking of an otherwise interesting concept. Who needs goggles and mechanized accoutrements when wearing a 3-piece tweed suit with an ipod is anachronism enough?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's kind of neat. I've seen it on people, mainly at places like Otacon in Baltimore. It's gaining momentum as being a "geek" is becoming less of a thing to hide and what constitutes Steampunk is expanding.

My watch movement cufflinks are supposedly Steampunk (because it has exposed gears I guess), so it seems I'm in it.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steampunk as applied to clothes is trying way too hard. Most of the things that many of us wear easily qualify.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Steampunk as applied to clothes is trying way too hard. Most of the things that many of us wear easily qualify.

Oh yeah, for the most part, I think that's the point. It's like wearing a costume.

Some of the things we wear would qualify, but I think I need to articulate to all passers-by that I'm the guy from the Avengers today.
laugh.gif

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea that 'steampunk' existed, either as a fashion concept or as a word, but I had often envisioned 'alternate history'-style outfits influenced by Jules Verne/H. G. Wells imagery. Personally I would reverse the aesthetic to be modern with antique accents, rather than the overtly period and costumey look in some of the photos I've (just) seen. (the guys in the NYT photo look like they've got busy in a Civil War movie wardrobe - I can barely see the concept in the outfits)
I think some items from recent Lanvin collections have been close to what I have envisioned. The Lanvin sneakers with the copper toe immediately struck me as being along these lines, with the contrasting toe resembling some sort of brass hardware. On the whole the sneaker is poorly executed, though.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It appears very Jules Verne-like.

I assume that the "steam" from steam punk comes from the period from which the clothes derive? I've always found that period interesting - where the highest technologies were mechanical.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been aware of the "steampunk" movement for some time. To my mind, they are just another subset of costume enthusiasts. Certainly nobody I'd look to for sartorial inspiration, anymore than I would look to the SASS crowd, SCA, the Sherlock Holmes Society, the Count Dracula Society, Renaissance Faire buffs et hoc genus omne. I don't begrudge anyone their harmless pleasures, but costuming is not one that appeals to me in the least.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Too costumey, imo. I doubt this movement will gain, ahem, steam.

paper clip

Reaction score
Reminds me of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". Costume, IMHO - but looks like fun! Would make for an interesting night out.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paper clip
Reminds me of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". Costume, IMHO - but looks like fun! Would make for an interesting night out.

That is a Steampunk movie throughout. Stuff like Van Helsing, Hell Boy, etc... Gizmodo.com is claiming Iron Man is too.

Gizmodo is a good place to catch-up on the whole steampunk thing.

halter+antiqua.jpg

thumb463x_1HM2GI.jpg

computationalengine4.jpg

Yes, that is a Steampunk computer... or "computational machine"

http://gizmodo.com/search/steampunk watch

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Wild, Wild West", the television show and the movie, would be steampunk - for those of you looking for inspiration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads