• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

kevin204

Reaction score

Does anyone know if i will get any extra charges like duty if i buy a sweater from END and they ship it to canada? END is located in the UK.

The last time i bought a bag from another store from the UK and it was shipped to Canada I was hit with some duty fee in addition to the sales tax (the sales tax was expected, but the duty fee wasn't). 
anything that comes into Canada is subject to duties. DHL/ups/FedEx will certainly charge duties. USPS/royal mail is hit or miss for duty charges. Usually 18% duty and 13% HST I think.

Cark

Reaction score
anything that comes into Canada is subject to duties. DHL/ups/FedEx will certainly charge duties. USPS/royal mail is hit or miss for duty charges. Usually 18% duty and 13% HST I think.
that's a bummer =(

now i got to decide should i buy something this VIP sale or wait it out later in the season for a deeper discount since i wont be saving much due to the extra 18% charge on top

do americans doing online shopping to the UK have to put up with an extra 18% on the list price on your final bill at the door?

Last edited:

Whirling

Reaction score

that's a bummer =(

now i got to decide should i buy something this VIP sale or wait it out later in the season for a deeper discount since i wont be saving much due to the extra 18% charge on top

do americans doing online shopping to the UK have to put up with an extra 18% on the list price on your final bill at the door?

No, but our government doesn't cover our health care or tuck us in at night with a glass of warm milk. :)

cmninja

Reaction score
FedEx International "Priority" is garbage. Package from END was shipped yesterday and it's still in the U.K. I doubt it's getting here tomorrow morning and I'm going out of town for two weeks on Thursday.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FedEx International "Priority" is garbage. Package from END was shipped yesterday and it's still in the U.K. I doubt it's getting here tomorrow morning and I'm going out of town for two weeks on Thursday.
Eh, you can't really expect anything going international to be too quick given there is customs, etc.

Whirling

Reaction score

Eh, you can't really expect anything going international to be too quick given there is customs, etc.

I am in Philadelphia and have gotten plenty of purchases next-day from Britain and Canada. 2nd day from Italy and Holland. This was with FedEx, DHL, and UPS. I have gotten things in about a week with the postal service from Finland, Australia, and other places...

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Conversely, I was shocked when I orderred from Frans Boone with UPS Express Saver last night and, lo and behold, UPS shows having departed the Netherlands today and due stateside by EOD Thursday. Looks good so far!

Last edited:

kevin204

Reaction score

that's a bummer =(

I still bought CP Achilles low cause at 288 cad with maybe 100 or so in duties it'll still be cheaper than ssense if they even reduce it further. Americans have a threshold of tax free until over $800 usd I think. It was $200 for them and was changed recently to $800

Cark

Reaction score
I still bought CP Achilles low cause at 288 cad with maybe 100 or so in duties it'll still be cheaper than ssense if they even reduce it further. Americans have a threshold of tax free until over $800 usd I think. It was $200 for them and was changed recently to $800

yeah, SSENSE is crazy expensive, I am surprised they can stay in business, it must be rapeage for selling highend clothes here in canada. I almost ordered something from SSENSE and after I placed the order they had the nerve to cancel my credit card for no reason and wouldn't tell me why. So i never ordered from them after that BS.

mdubya

Reaction score

Lmao our packages were likely shipped out together and are on the same truck. Its unusual, that's fore sure, usually I get things from GB the nextday. This one has been in transit to London airport for a full 24 hours. Unsual for fedex, for sure.

Edit: did yours just get updated a few mins ago and get scanned through Standstead? That means its on plane over. The fact that I know the intricacies of all the different courier's tracking systems means I probably buy too much s***

Last edited:

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lmao our packages were likely shipped out together and are on the same truck. Its unusual, that's fore sure, usually I get things from GB the nextday. This one has been in transit to London airport for a full 24 hours. Unsual for fedex, for sure.

Edit: did yours just get updated a few mins ago and get scanned through Standstead? That means its on plane over. The fact that I know the intricacies of all the different courier's tracking systems means I probably buy too much s***

hopefully his is delayed, whining before it's even delayed, complaining about 2+ day shipping from the UK to the west coast on christmas week

mdubya

Reaction score
hopefully his is delayed, whining before it's even delayed, complaining about 2+ day shipping from the UK to the west coast on christmas week

Haha, true, however depending on if it was a big-ticket item that he's been hyping up in his head for months and finally pulled the trigger, its easy to get obsessed/anxious to get it. I've been there. I have a pair of Alden 975s coming that I've been eyeing for a year or so and its easy to get wrapped up in it all.

But once you step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath you realize we're here discussing high-end apparel that most people don't have the luxury of enjoying, and getting upset that its delivery is been delayed a couple of days is quite pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads