1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

It's time to create a thread where you all can ask questions about topics such as:

How much am I going to pay in duties if I order from XX webshop?
    Who marks down the value of parcels? (not the best thing to advertise, but everyone seems to ask this question)
    Which carriers are the worst at charging duty/customs fees? (we all know it is UPS, Fedex, and DHL, but people still ask)

OK, there you go. Let's keep this discussion out of the Official Sales Alert Thread. If someone wants to compile a list of shops or carriers that are good to work with, have at it.

1 person likes this.
  2. crucialkc

crucialkc Well-Known Member

LOL thanks for this

3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

It's a Festivus miracle! Seriously, great thread. (0)

1 person likes this.
  4. radrodant

radrodant Active Member

I've been charged customs by End Clothing as well as Meermin.
    Haven't been charged by Tres Bien

5. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Well-Known Member

i was told this included iphone cases :)

6. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Subscribed. Thanks.

7. cl smooth

cl smooth Well-Known Member

LN-CC, antonioli, and Tres Bien are reliably duty free.

End, Wrong Weather, Norse store are guaranteed to get hit with duties.

anyone know about Oki-Ni?

2 people like this.
  8. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

End Clothing is pretty terrible as far as customs/duties. They mark sale priced items full value. I had to send the actual receipt to the Fedex guy so they wouldn't charge me customs. I still had to pay the $35 handling fee.

9. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think I'll pass on their sale then, to avoid the hassle.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever received anything shipped SDA (Italian carrier, I guess?)?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Zissou, can you elaborate? Do you mean you sent the receipt to show the price you paid so they only charged you customs/duties for the sale price and not the full price? IE you still had to pay, but less?

12. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Generally, you have to pay US import duties on purchases over $200. I paid something like $185 for an item on sale at End when the retail price was ~$300. End marked $300 as the value, and Fedex wanted to charge me the $35 fee plus duties since the order was over $200. I sent them the actual invoice showing them that I paid $185, and they didn't charge me duties, just the flat $35 fee. It was worth the cost at that point.

Interestingly, I think that's the only time I have ever paid any fees/duties/whatever, and I have ordered from a lot of UK/EU shops.

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Wish I'd known back in early Fall when I ordered some McNairys from End. Still a great deal though. We'll see how FedEx likes me next time.

14. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Well-Known Member

For all my Canadian bros:

Avoid DHL whenever possible when shipping from the UK. I have routinely been hit with the highest customs fees from this courier (as much as 35-40% of the item value).

15. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

16. elwood49

elwood49 Well-Known Member

Just ordered 2 pairs of shoes from Carmina to the US. Anyone get hit from them?

The cost is so much lower ordering directly from them that it should be lower even with duty.

17. Mesta

Mesta Well-Known Member

ordered two stuff from ln-cc :
    one purchase was 88, duty fees of 38
    second one was 340, duty fees of 168...
    fuck dhl?

18. ennui

ennui Well-Known Member

I'm in the US.

Ordered ~$200 item from End on Black Friday - no customs bill yet from Fedex (knock on wood)
    Ordered ~$350 item from Roden Gray last year - no fees
    Ordered ~$300 item from Nomad last year - no fees
    Ordered ~$130 item from Our Legacy last year - no fees
    Ordered ~$800 worth of shoes from Wrong Weather 2 years ago - got hit with around $200 of duties. Folks doubted me at the time, but sounds like my experience is common.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

You guys need to distinguish between fees charged by the carriers versus the amount of duty assessed.
    Also there are a mind boggling number of different categories with different charges for items based on country of origin, content, construction etc.

Barbour jacket from Oi Polloi a few weeks ago. Shipping form stated country of origin for it was made in the UK but it was made in Romania or somewhere like that.
    Got hit with 8.9% duty (HTS 6202.92.2061) on the cost of $373 for $33.20.
    DHL charged me $6.50 in fees.

I've ordered Tricker's many times from Bureau Belfast and have never been hit with a Fedex bill.

I've actually been hit with duty assessment on an Express mail/USPS package from Malaysia.
    It was for a swiss watch. Total was around $80. If the shipper games the system and declares some large
    percentage of the value of the watch being for the movement, there's a very small flat fee for it. Memory is somewhat hazy since this was
    about 10 years ago, but the majority of the $80 was due to duty on the strap. Shipment was also delayed because it had to stop in Alaska
    somewhere for Fish and Wildlife Inpsection due to the croc strap. If the shipper hasn't filled out the proper form for croc, you're fkded.

Oh, and USPS is COD for the bill. Same with UPS and you have to badger them if you want a bill with a breakdown of charges.
    Fedex and DHL will send you a detailed bill after delivery.
    Fedex fees are going to be something like $25 plus an advancement fee which is some percentage of duty or a minimum of $5.

Fedex might also call you and make you fill out an Importer of Record form before they'll deliver.
    If the shipper spells your name wrong, you might have to do this a few times. Don't ask me how I know.
    Also depending upon the country of origin of the goods Fedex might ask you what factory the items was made in.
    No idea why they would expect you to know. This bizarre question was when I bought a bag from Paul Smith made in China.

20. EvanM

EvanM Well-Known Member

My experiences with various couriers buying stuff shipped to Canada from other countries:
    • UPS/Fedex - if shipped via ground, hit with a fairly hefty brokerage fee (~$35?) on top of taxes (12%) upon delivery. If shipped via air, the brokerage fee is incorporated into the shipping cost so it's up to the individual retailer whether or not taxes are paid up front or upon delivery.
    • DHL - by far the quickest delivery option, but they always seem to collect the maximum amount for duties, regardless of whether or not your item should be hit with them or not. Expect to be hit with 18% duties + taxes (12% for BC) + whatever brokerage fee they charge. Mr Porter breaks down the split between duties and taxes with their DHL shipping, and I'm even being charged duties on items made in the USA by Brooks Brothers - and we have a free trade agreement with the US!
    • USPS - it's generally up to CBSA when it crosses the border, but if you're charged at all, it's typically a reasonable $8 brokerage fee + taxes. I don't know how they make the calculations though - I placed an order from Epaulet for over $800 with a friend and our fees came out to less than $50 for the entire package. Probably the safest option for buying goods from the US.
    • Royal Mail - UK equivalent of USPS and my experience has been the same as USPS.

Also, some online retailers allow you to pay the duties/taxes up front and avoid all the hassle upon delivery (DDP - Delivery Duties Paid). Amazon, Bodybuilding.com and mrporter.com all do this, for example.

2 people like this.