• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawless Denim & Co (Phoenix, Arizona)

H Markopolos

Reaction score
I sometimes think that both companies and consumers could be spared a lot of pain by not being too greedy. And it really is a problem with both sides. Companies should not offer something that is fundamentally unsustainable. I mean, of course someone is going to buy if you promise the world for very little money, but that's extremely shortsighted. On the flip side, consumers should expect to pay more if they want the world. Either that, or you settle for something you are more comfortable with, pricewise.

Look, if you want a pair of MTM jeans, here are some from Luxire: http://custom.luxire.com/collections/pants/products/luxire-denim On sale at $80, down from $100, I suspect just because they want people to try them out. And they can afford that lower price because it's not their core business, and they can make up the margins elsewhere. They are using, from what I've read, decent denim, but not a name brand denim, They could probably get that for you, but probably at an upsell. They also own their own production facilities, and their business is based on MTM, so there is already a considerable cost savings there. One off MTM from a production faciltiy in LA will result in a considerably upcharge. And they are not using American labor. Indians are just as good at making a pair of jeans as are an LA factory. Are you going to get an incredible, unique, denim for that price. No, that is also available, but you are looking at 2x that price, for RTW. For Luxire, even, if you look through their site you'll notice that while their standard offerings are extremely inexpensive, if you want a Molloy&Sons tweed sportsjacket, it is going to run you $650. A heavy sashiko jacket made from imported Japanese fabric? $399.

Also, to clear up a common misconception, a vendor cannot afford to sell to the puiblic that wholesale. This is a common misconception. The POS system, the fulfillment, is all much more complicated. They can afford to sell for lower than the price of what a retailer would have to sell at, yes, if they have a direct to consumer model, but they have to account for the additional overhead, which is significant.

I agree with your conclusion in your last paragraph. As far as someone who sells close to "wholesale," I submit that Josh Gustin has a keen fashion sense/perspective and business acumen that Mr. Lawless only dreams of!! I also submit that your elementary explanation of basic accounting and business fundamentals should be required reading for the born again accountants on the Selvedge and Style Forum.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. H Markopolos must have been one of those dudes who ordered twenty pairs of jeans because the price was so great. That's the only reason I can think of for his raging bitterness.

H Markopolos

Reaction score
Haha. H Markopolos must have been one of those dudes who ordered twenty pairs of jeans because the price was so great. That's the only reason I can think of for his raging bitterness.

Nope!! Just fighting for truth, justice and the American way.

I will say since the start of the LD&CO farce in early November of 2014 I have received about 8 pair of Gustin denim jeans along with 2 pair of chinos as well as several of their shirts and accessories that I am thoroughly happy with. In addition, I have ordered and received 2 pair of Samurai's, 2 pair of Momotaro's, 2 pair of Iron Hearts, a pair of Oni's and a pair of Roy's. I guess I am one of those individuals who likes to get what they paid for and can afford it?

Dirty Denim

Reaction score

I will say since the start of the LD&CO farce in early November of 2014 I have received about 8 pair of Gustin denim jeans along with 2 pair of chinos as well as several of their shirts and accessories that I am thoroughly happy with. In addition, I have ordered and received 2 pair of Samurai's, 2 pair of Momotaro's, 2 pair of Iron Hearts, a pair of Oni's and a pair of Roy's. I guess I am one of those individuals who likes to get what they paid for and can afford it?

I don't think anyone is saying you are wrong to feel as u do. Stop arguing with people that are feeling the same as you

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Seriously. I buy one new pair of raw denim each year, which is plenty when you add them to previous years' jeans.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^Seriously. I buy one new pair of raw denim each year, which is plenty when you add them to previous years' jeans.
I usually end up buying 2 pairs a year. But I wear denim pretty much every day.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, you went from ok denim to top of the line in less than a year!

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I personally believe Roman continued to take peoples money, knowing that he would probably never be able to deliver the goods as promised. This was in an attempt to try to save his business. Is that a scam? To me, yes, it is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally believe Roman continued to take peoples money, knowing that he would probably never be able to deliver the goods as promised. This was in an attempt to try to save his business. Is that a scam? To me, yes, it is.
If this is the case, then yes, you are right. But even now, I hear about desperate attempts to get people something. I've known real flimflam artists, and this is simply not the way they work, ime. But every case is different.

GTFan712

Reaction score
Finally threw in the towel earlier this week and requested a refund for my November 2014 order that still has not been fulfilled. Four days later, still no response.

Made an account on the new site to see if I could find anything about my order. Apparently the order was "fulfilled" in June, although my payment is pending? The payment that Lawless has had since November?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ag8562828