• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Skin Young

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Exercise. Drink water. Don't smoke or eat like ****. Do yourself a favor and forget all that bullshit you posted.
What my dermatologist told me. Plus a >25 spf rain or shine, and prescription-strength retina A now and then.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
What my dermatologist told me. Plus a >25 spf rain or shine, and prescription-strength retina A now and then.

Any ideas for a light face lotion with high-SPF, that won't promote oil or acne?

youdee

Reaction score
A high SPF is pretty useless unless it's backed up by a strong PPD rating which will protect you from UVA-induced ageing and sun damage. Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF55 probably has some of the best protection you're likely to find in the states - high protection, oil control and shouldn't break you out as long as you wash it off thoroughly. There are more suggestions here.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
A high SPF is pretty useless unless it's backed up by a strong PPD rating which will protect you from UVA-induced ageing and sun damage. Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF55 probably has some of the best protection you're likely to find in the states - high protection, oil control and shouldn't break you out as long as you wash it off thoroughly. There are more suggestions here.

Anyone know what PPD the Olay Complete 15spf has?

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Anyone know what PPD the Olay Complete 15spf has?
Had a look on a suncreen simulator and it looks like it's between 6 and 8. Great for sensitive skin that only has incidental or short sun-exposure.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
retin-a is what i used when i had a bad acne problem. it works because the reason why you gets zits is bc dead skin cells get trapped in your pores, get infected and turn into a pimple.

the retin-a helps your skin exfoliate at a faster rate - so you don't get a build up of those dead skin cells - and your skins creates collagen at a faster ate to replinish the skin thats been exfoliated.

side affect for me was my face was dry and flakey from all the dead stuff needing to be sloughed off - so exfoliating all that **** off and keeping very moisturized was a big deal.

thus . . . . this is why retina/retinol is being used in anti aging creams bc its makes you exfoliate faster, so your skin makes room for the newer younger fresher skin under it.

sunscreen is a must bc, your skin doesn't have as much of a protective barrier as usual, bc its being exfoliated at more rapid rate

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
My skin was a mess until I started washing and moisturizing. Whether or not any of the other stuff is useful, I'd be have terrible skin if I didn't wash it regularly with a good cleanser.

we were talking about keeping skin young not about getting out of puberty ..

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exercise.
Drink water.
Don't smoke or eat like ****.
Do yourself a favor and forget all that bullshit you posted.

+1 The OP is looking at this from the completely wrong angle.

Do everything quoted above, as well as using a good moisturizer and sunscreen frequently. If you are really into keeping your skin looking good, you should see a good dermatologist instead of spreading worthless marketing hype all over your face. Some very simple derma procedures make a big difference and will actually end up being cheaper than all the stuff out there that offer minimal results.

Liam

Reaction score
Exercise.
Drink water.
Don't smoke or eat like ****.
Do yourself a favor and forget all that bullshit you posted.

Agreed. Water is a huge factor, a lot more than people think.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be sticking to what I have been doing then until I see any reason otherwise. Nothing more than the moisturizer and with sunscreen.

One more question though. I'm seeing people recommending a really strong sunscreen. Does that mean that if I'm not overly fond of the idea of being pasty white that I might as well accept earlier wrinkling as an inevitability?

Thanks for the input so far.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
It looks like I'll be sticking to what I have been doing then until I see any reason otherwise. Nothing more than the moisturizer and with sunscreen.

One more question though. I'm seeing people recommending a really strong sunscreen. Does that mean that if I'm not overly fond of the idea of being pasty white that I might as well accept earlier wrinkling as an inevitability?

Thanks for the input so far.

Even the strongest suncreen won't keep you pasty white- that requires you avoid the sun completly. Use self-tanning moisturizer or a bronzer if you want more color.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Even the strongest suncreen won't keep you pasty white- that requires you avoid the sun completly. Use self-tanning moisturizer or a bronzer if you want more color.

As in raid my girlfriend's makeup bag bronzer? I'm all for looking excellent, but makeup might be a bit overboard.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
Had a look on a suncreen simulator and it looks like it's between 6 and 8. Great for sensitive skin that only has incidental or short sun-exposure.

So basically it's useless as an all-day sunscreen?

What is a good replacement for the the Olay Complete 15spf moisturizer that has a better PPD but is also good for sensitive skin and doesn't have lots of crap in it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads