• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Stop posting propaganda / false information about non-iron shirts and formaldehyde

teknique22

Reaction score
I didn't suggest that you were.

I have no clue why you and the poster above you responded to my post stating your personal fabric preferences and why you despise non-iron. It literally has nothing to do with the point of my post, which is to articulate why members of the community are wrong about scientifically inaccurate facts as to the safety of such materials. I clearly outlined that the concern is about the false information being spread about its safety, not that it should be chosen above all other fabrics or that it's even better than other fabrics. The thread was not directly calling Andy57 out and telling him he should wear non-iron fabrics. It has nothing to do with your choices of what you want to wear. It's literally just about how stupid some members here are being in pushing false claims as to the nature of the fabric's safety. That's all.

Perhaps, but there sure is a lot of energy being expended defending Formaldehyde. I don't understand, of all the things to get agitated about, why this one?

Might come off as agitated but really just a product of me looking on my own about where to find non-iron shirts and reading 10+ threads on this very forum from members telling me it's not smart to wear due to formaldehyde. I did actual research and came to the conclusion nobody here knows what they're talking about and when you bring up non-iron fabrics at all, it appears to elicit a response similar to some members previously walking in on their wife pleasuring herself with non-iron fabric and somehow feeling cheated on.

teknique22

Reaction score
Is the OP from the formaldehyde lobby? Seems to be taking this awfully seriously.

I take it semi-seriously when members who have no clue what they're talking about open their mouth on subjects they lack even the basic high school level credentials to speak to. If you'd like to keep a sheet over your head and keep running around stating false information and having the community be continuously misinformed, that's your preference and you shouldn't continue reading the thread. If, however, you care about people continuously stating fake facts that are not true whatsoever, then take it more seriously. It hurts the community (of which I'm not even a regular member of) tremendously and hurts your credibility as a whole if you continue stating incorrect facts.

teknique22

Reaction score
You are very loquacious

Very astute. Not trying to start an argument over this. Literally just trying to clear up something that most people are misinformed about. I don't care what anyone here prefers in terms of fabric choice - that's an entirely separate thread and one that I wouldn't even want to read or participate in. This is simply a statement of fact for the community and for some reason people are coming in to tell me how their baby-soft Gerber skin can't handle the rough surface of a non-iron shirt. I honestly don't even know why people feel compelled to tell me that. It has nothing to do with what I was saying.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which node is the OP?

I buy 100% cotton shirts because they're the best not for health reasons, but finding it funny how triggered you are over this stuff

http://news.muckety.com/2012/10/07/the-mighty-formaldehyde-lobby/38441

94BF4F0C2CB8360BDDE085156C44A9B2.png

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are they paying you to clog up the CM forum with this non-issue? Or are you on your own time

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are very loquacious

Far too loquacious - I smell mischief and decline to be educated by someone who still commends non-iron shirts over pure cotton having just returned from the land of the undead. Maybe we should stop feeding the troll.

Does a great of 'bumping' on curious subjects, troll starving? No history of talking about non-iron shirts and has previously been buying MTM shorts and asking a myriad questions about them. This subject has not been raised and there is no foundation for the lengthy posts from the past.

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, any top shirtmaker who uses the best shirt fabrics uses that crap.

The few non iron shirts I have seen were on cheapo shops and made of 100% polyester.

If any ever says cotton 100% would be fake, since the huge amount of polymeres added on the finishing process would be a certain %.

I disslike fabrics as most of the Albini ones since they abuse of the chemicals on the finishing, hence some feel as touching a plastic bag, that are the chemicals!

Buy Carlo Riva and Romentino fabrics, the most pure and the less processed and leave this toxic waste.

CloudLi

Reaction score
So what? I don't care what is used to make fabric "wrinkle free". Non iron shirts are ugly, feel horrible, and are not even remotely actually wrinkle-free (or non-iron, or whatever). Apart from that, I guess, they're fine.
So, what is anyone to do? Demand to know what chemicals have been used in the manufacture of the garment? I doubt any shop assistant would have a clue - many would not even know of formaldehyde.

I don't touch 'non-iron' shirts (or trousers), they are nothing of the sort but each to his own.
Yeah, I can’t quite recall but the OP might be someone I remember starting trouble before. Apologies if I’ve got the identity wrong but something about that name stands out in a bad way.
People despise non-iron fabric as whole are stupid and not worth the effort to save their souls. If you never see soft breathable non-iron fabric, it just because you never see. Dont waste your time on their ignorance OP

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People despise non-iron fabric as whole are stupid and not worth the effort to save their souls. If you never see soft breathable non-iron fabric, it just because you never see. Dont waste your time on their ignorance OP

Each to his own but everyone should aspire to far better than such things as non-iron, fallacy that it is.

OfRoguesandRakes

Reaction score
The “scientific” article posted to defend plastic wrinkle free shirts can be found on none other than Proper Cloth’s website, used to defend the safety of their own formaldehyde dipped non-iron shirts. Whether you believe its harmful or not, as for me, I am not going to put formaldehyde anywhere near my skin, just like I am not going to put anti-perspirant anywhere near my lymph nodes. Put your big boy clothes on after you iron your shirt busy man!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads