• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mano

Reaction score
I will say that I was partly serious, in the sense that I am far more likely to keep a bottle too long than to open it too young.  Finding the happy medium in all cases is ... hard.
Manton, I predicted you would say that.  I am the only qualified person on this forum to know that the unconscious always seeks to reveal itself.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, you guys drink your wine young, like Frenchmen. I'm more of an Englishman in this regard. Wait until the cork rots, the edges in glass are brown, and the tannin is such a distant memory you wonder if it was ever there.
Given your sartorial proclivities, I would have been shocked to the very marrow of my bones if I had found out that you were obsessed with finding the latest big-name CalCab.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find a great red Burgundy to be far superior to a great cabernet-based wine; there is something ethereal about a great pinot-based wine that other grapes simply cannot match.

I agree completely. At their best, Pinot-based wines are earth-shaking, whereas I've never had a Cabernet-based wine that was anything better than a good bottle of wine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
At their best, Pinot-based wines are earth-shaking, whereas I've never had a Cabernet-based wine that was anything better than a good bottle of wine.
I agree that the very best burg is better than the very best bord, but I defy anyone to taste (say) an 82 Pichon Lalande, or a 64 Latour, or an 83 Palmer and conclude that it is merely "a good bottle of wine".

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that the very best burg is better than the very best bord, but I defy anyone to taste (say) an 82 Pichon Lalande, or a 64 Latour, or an 83 Palmer and conclude that it is merely "a good bottle of wine".
Superlative idea. Are you buying?
wink.gif

shoefan

Reaction score
Manton: If you are buying, count me in.
thumbs-up.gif
While you're at it, though, perhaps you could add a DRC Romanee Conti and perhaps a Henri Jayer or two. Also, shouldn't we start with a Lafon or DRC Montrachet, just to wet our whistles?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
While you're at it, though, perhaps you could add a DRC Romanee Conti and perhaps a Henri Jayer or two.  Also, shouldn't we start with a Lafon or DRC Montrachet, just to wet our whistles?
I have never tasted so much as a drop of any of these wines. But I still have a ways to go yet, and I know some people with astounding cellars, so who knows.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rotting cork and brown edges are bads sign when opening any bottle of wine.
I don't understand this. Corn is ready for picking when the hairs turn brown at the edges and begin to rot. At that point, what's inside is puuuurfect. The Sea Island cotton we grow here in East Hampton has similar indicators of readiness for picking. Wine (except, of course, for the toe-lint) is also a naturally grown substance. Where is your logic, naysayers? Manton is obviously correct even though he's trying to cover it up by claiming 'lame joke'. Of course, he's also trying to hide the fact that he's actually a tailor ...

novalis

Reaction score
Lame joke disclaimer: Following joke is entirely and purely fictional. Views expressed herein do not represent the views of black suit enthusiasts, brown in town violators, shirtmakers, authors, psychiatrists and any other elitist and common profession
smile.gif
A man in a black suit walks into an old gentlemen's club and sits at the elegantly polished 30 foot mahogany bar. He leans forward and motions the bartender over. He asks "Do you have a rule against serving patrons in black suits?" "No sir, we don't." The man in black leans back and places his right foot, beclad in a dark walnut balmoral bespoke by Lobb, on the bar. He demands of the bartender "Do you have a rule against brown in town?" "No sir, we don't" The man in the black suit then proceeds to unzip his fly (beautifully handstitched, in the shape of a boat) and places ********** on the bar. Again he turns to the bartender and asks "Do you have a rule against serving peckers?" A silence falls over the patrons at the bar. All eyes turn toward the bartender. The bartender says "No sir, we don't. What will you have?" The tension visibly dissipates in the air. The man in black says "Give me a vodka martini." Not batting an eyelash, the bartender glances down and says "Sorry sir, we don't serve cocktails here."

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the Bdx/Burgundy debate is going to take as long as this original thread and probably never be resolved, but I personally like cabernet based wines quite a bit more, and I enjoy new world cabernet/pinot based wines as much as I do the old world style. They are just different styles, earthiness, richness, and subtlety in the French style, big bold colorful fruity wines painted on a larger canvas in the California style. I do drink wines fairly young (I noted that I had a 2000 Leoville Las Cases in the Food/Drink forum last week, and that particular wine, in 20 years, may be as good or better than anything we've discussed to date) but usually not French ones, except the occasional Beaujolais (infrequently, not my fav style of wine). Many Cal Pinot and Cabs are meant to be consumed early despite being extremely high quality.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh - when it comes to the expensive wines I am outclassed and uneducated... you may as well be speaking in Attic Greek now :)

I must endeavor to better myself so it is off to Wal Mart to buy every 3 liter bottabox they have so that I can catch up.

Sadly I can differentiate between many of the $50 bottles and the $10 bottles but $50-$500 I can't tell much. What a shame.
Disgracefully, my 'cellar' is one of those 36 bottle wine refrigerator thingies.

Tyto

Reaction score
Sigh - when it comes to the expensive wines I am outclassed and uneducated... you may as well be speaking in Attic Greek now :)
True of me, too: I must rely on the hospitality of those more fortunate and better educated than I for opportunities to learn about the truly good stuff. I'm coming to the bourbon debate a bit late, but I agree with the Blanton's and Hirsch lovers. For those of you fortunate enough (depending on your POV) to live in the LA area, the Wine and Liquor Depot in the San Fernando Valley offers Hirsch 16 for $56 (IIRC). They may even have some Hirsch 20 still, but I think they want $250 for it. In addition to the bourbon, they have a staggering single-malt collection, ranging from Glenlivet 12 to $1,000 Signatory, Cadenhead, and other specialized bottlings. Unfortunately, they don't ever seem to have Ardbeg 17. For those not in the LA area: although you can't view the selection or order the bourbon online, they'll ship.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Until it was referenced in another thread, I never thought to open this one because the answer to the original question is obviously no. :)

But my god, the posting opportunities missed.

And irrespective of the merits of the respective arguments of the principal posters, should one be forced to choose a side to take, Manton is clearly the better dressed.

Will

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That picture is so embarrassing. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a RTW coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads