• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impressions of Vienna

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those small, independent, one-off boutiques are the sort of shops that make a city great and unique. It looks like a wonderful city mostly untouched by the cancer of globalism/multiculturalism.

Degendorff

Reaction score
I guess that Knize makes their money mainly with bespoke, if the shop is always that empty. After all, the son of the owner Niedersüß has his own bespoke business at www.niedersuesz.at .

Fuzzypuppy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Those small, independent, one-off boutiques are the sort of shops that make a city great and unique. It looks like a wonderful city mostly untouched by the cancer of globalism/multiculturalism.

If globalism is a cancer, then as an investment banker I am a proud and unapologetic carcinogen.

Death to the little guy!
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Not claustrophobic, but there was a certain deathliness about it, and the salespeople seemed a bit bitter. Almost like Cable Car Clothiers.

I hope it survives. The Braun & Co. a few doors away is now an H&M.

They were really nice to us at Knize, surprisingly nice. Maybe they just knew that I was a sucker for bespoke tailor shops that also sell perfume.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I personally feel that you should get a better fit around the upper ankle - and hence better ankle support from boot lasts. That is one of the strengths of ankle boots, and fear that you risk missing out on that by having ankles boots made up on shoe lasts. Thoughts? Opinions?
Just my thoughts and opinions based on my personal experience. If you take Chelsea's for example. Not only the elastic is "doing the trick". The fit ought to happen around the heel and instep. IMO, that's the criteria. The fit around the ankle should be somewhat "loose", other wise it wouldn't be comfortable. I have seen last-attachements for ankle boots, but at the end I didn't care too much. I trusted the maker. A Jodhpur is adjusted with the strap as all other strap boots are supposed too. Not? Thoughts? Opinions?... PS: ...or as Bengal use to say: There are more ways to skin a cat.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Great pics. One of most elegant cities on the continent and often passed over by tourists. Did you get to the opera?

There are still plenty of tourists...most of the younger ones go to the opera with standing room tickets, at least until intermission. Standing room tickets only cost about 2 Euro.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
There are still plenty of tourists...most of the younger ones go to the opera with standing room tickets, at least until intermission. Standing room tickets only cost about 2 Euro.

7 Euro if I remember correctly. I wouldn't compare Vienna to Prague/Amsterdam/Barcelona when it comes to young tourists.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
7 Euro if I remember correctly. I wouldn't compare Vienna to Prague/Amsterdam/Barcelona when it comes to young tourists.

True, Vienna is certainly not overrun by tourists, thank goodness. As for the standing room ticks, they are either 2 or 2.50 Euro, can't remember exactly. Last time I was there a few months ago I was standing room, the time before that in the 9th row on the floor for 160 euro...I prefer standing.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention too, was the discrepancy between makers in the use of boot lasts. Balint uses shoe lasts for ankle boots, and only make Stiefelleisten (boot lasts) for top boots eg riding boots such as Wellingtons. Other makers such as Scheer and Maftei use boot lasts for ankle boots.

Golding in “The Manufacture of Boots and shoes, etc“:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manufacture-...7288555&sr=8-2

Boot lasts are made much thicker at the sides than other lasts and are thus made to accommodate the extra thickness required for ankle boots.

Shoe lasts. They are flatter in the waist than boot lasts and have a greater spring in the toe. The sides are thinner, corresponding to the thinness of the foot below the ankle bones.
Spenle1.jpg

Shoe last

Spenle2.jpg

Boot last

Spenle3.jpg

Riding boot last

http://www.spenle.de/

This means of course, that if you order boots after initially ordering shoes, you have to pay another lastmaking fee.

Tthere is a difference between shoe- and boot lasts. In practice, as workshops try to maximise their profit, they don’t like to make different lasts for the same customer, and just adapt the last they have stored for that particular customer. They should not charge a new last-making fee,

Exception are different heel heights and varying toe spring. Or the boot last is required considerably bigger to be worn with heavy, hand knitted hunting hoses. Equally riding boots and other boots without opening need the instep increased, to enable the foot to turn the corner.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Please don't wear Knize Ten when we're having lunch.

He'll wear Rubinacci per lui.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

There is a difference between shoe- and boot lasts. In practice, as workshops try to maximise their profit, they don't like to make different lasts for the same customer, and just adapt the last they have stored for that particular customer. They should not charge a new last-making fee

Maftei, Scheer - and to my knowledge also Koji Suzuki - do charge a new last-making fee. I should also mention that at Balint I was told that they will not make a slip on shoe for the first order. I asked if they make specific slip-on lasts, and was told that do not, but nonetheless still modify the fit a little (presumably to avoid heel slippage). I wonder if some makers do make a new last for a slip on.

I don't really object to paying an additional last making fee. I would rather that than have them use the same lasts for everything.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Please don't wear Knize Ten when we're having lunch.

You don't have to worry, way too strong for me.

Originally Posted by RJman
He'll wear Rubinacci per lui.

It isn't bad, kind of like a more subtle AdP. I don't like citrus, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads