• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to the old heads for the stimulating dialogue today.

And please, people, please, let's discuss the fits a little more! This stupid "like" button is making the thread worse, not better.

This.

Spoo's capacity for sartorial skulduggery is something to behold, to be sure, but the deft eye, which I possess but wield judiciously, trains briskly to Manton's superior clothing - his lofty collar, the comely drape of his jacket, the augustness of his metered color pallette.

A closer study, however, reveals the two share an appreciation for that which distinguishes captains of industry, royalty, and quarterbacks betrothed to Brazilian supermodels from the unwashed masses of shoddily-clad nincompoops that litter the formerly hallowed threads of this rapidly twilighting forum.

I have no idea what any of that means, but I like it anyway.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Jesus boys. I leave the bar and come home to this. I think I need another drink.

I hope this passionate/informed/at-times-heated banter is not just a flash in the pan and exclusive to this evening. Us n00bs never got first hand insight from y'all. Nice to actually hear from the dudes we are supposed to search for every time an inside joke or esoteric subject comes up.

Either way, digging WAYWRN lately. Awesome start to the Fall.

sellahi22

Reaction score

The Spoopoker/Manton comparison photograph that I posted earlier can be used for a lot of things.

Some examples:

1. Both guys often, or even usually, take terrible photographs of themselves, typically from an above-midpoint, close-in angle. Their typical shot often keystones the photo. These two shots are some of the most objective since they are among the few that are relatively straight on. Both are slim, healthy, low BMI guys. In fact, Manton is taller and heavier in about the same approximate proportion as Spoo, based on what each has told me about their height and weight. Neither is athletic. WAYWRN's most prolific Russian, who is strong like bear, is. He would bend both like beet-infused pretzel and then have his tailor pick stitch them around their edges. Their postures are different, and that is very important, but Spoo and Manton are basically skinny dudes. Most of you are chubby, they are not. They are good clothes hangers.

2. When you look at the photos, what is the reaction? Not specifically, but overall? It seems to me that if you cannot tell Manton is by far better dressed...as Spoo, good guy that he is, instantly recognized...then you will never, ever get it...or you're an Underwear Typist.

3. Why is Manton the better dressed? First of all, he should be. He is knowledgable, mature in his aesthetics, deeply familiar with the form and meaning of tailored clothes, grew up among males in coat and tie, and has more money and leisure time for clothes than Spoo, who works night and day like a dog when he's not amassing iammatt-like post counts on SF. Spoo is younger, Manton is older. Will Spoo catch up or will it be Zeno all over again? Who can say? But, please don't tell me they are the same unless your intent is to invalidate everything else that you write...or you are attempting an amusing game. But then, be amusing.

4. This will be unpopular, but here goes: Manton's look requires more knowledge (certainly), more sophisticated taste (maybe, but that's what I think), but in the end, it requires more money. Cashola. [Shout it out, brutha Reevolving!] It requires that because tailors who produce that look are not cheap and do not sell stuff through Gilt Groupe. There are not many of these tailors. Their numbers and availability decline as each day passes. The products that they produce occupy narrowing niches in everyday life. Three of them might comment in that new SF-MC fit thread, but there is one overall meaning to their commentary: your tailor sucks.

Court dress, day dress, evening dress, lounge clothes, all circle the drain, spiral, spiral, until the sink is but dry. What is left is coat and tie as amusement wear. One year it's the ripped stonewashed jean. Another?

Ovadia and Sons.

What do the rest of you see in the photos? Tell the truth.

Thought provoking post.

I personally think that taste is the only absolute prerequisite to dressing well. Obviously examples exist of people without knowledge and/or money dressing well, but we can debate about the numbers.

A subtext I read into your post, or maybe this is my imagination, is that people should not make excuses for not dressing well, even if it's for budgetary reasons. If you can't afford bespoke and don't pull off RTW well, it's not the end of the world, there are more important things in life. But don't persist under the delusion that your best effort at the thrift shop or Gilt Groupe makes you look great, and don't post your photos on the internet expecting a big group hug.

Maybe another principle is that each bad fit posted degrades the quality of the forum, just as each good fit improves it. Perhaps this is what pisses off those of us who want to see the forum standard return to excellence. Some people want this board to be a comprehensive state school, others would prefer for it to be a exclusive school for the gifted.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is going down like this when only now at 11pm I find myself with time to post.

Yes, that suit Vox posted is probably the worst fitting suit I own. Its the loosest fitting suit I own. I got it late in the summer and wanted to give it a few rolls before having it worked extensively over the winter to be perfect for next summer. (Its an Oxxford, BTW).

In terms of fit, sure Mantons fits exponentially better, not only in that picture but generally. He has a hard to fit frame that pretty much requires bespoke. I have a very good natural frame (whoever said ex-athelete, god bless you but no. I have never once seen the inside of a gym, not a single day of my life) that takes RTW pretty darn good. What my learning process here has shown me is to focus more on fit. When I first saw that photo comparison, it was really evident how much I need to take a look at that. I am a creative type - I see in color and harmony. Whoever said emotion, and emptym nailed it by saying I dress passionately (or however it was phrased), thats right. I look for a harmony in color. Last year, I started to work on texture, and thats been a big challenge to overcome - Ill find the right colors to work, but not the right textures. Scale was another that I really focused on. But fit is the last hurdle to overcome. I have not made many new RTW purchases lately, but the ones I have are looked at with different eyes than the ones that bought all the other stuff. So, thanks to the forum for giving another eye opener I suppose.

But, I do want to summarize with this, and crucify me if you wish - but I do not wish to attain perfection on any day I dress. I don't care if "the rules" tell me that my socks should not match my tie. I don't care that the rules say I should not wear bracelets with a suit. I do have a strong passion for clothes and I love looking my best as we all do. However, I do it for me. Not you, not you, and not you - I do it for me. That means that I like to match my socks to my tie, and wear my bracelets. Its me. Its my style. I do respect opposing viewpoints who will tell me when something is severely wrong, sure. And I think I don't make too too many of those. But style is very subjective, especially based upon the wearers personality and environment. I can only assume that Manton, Foo, other conservative business dress-ish guys work in extremely conservative environments. I do not. I have the luxury of being me, which is really great. Do I need to learn more about classic dress and the traditions that these things are steeped in? Sure, of course. Don't know much about it. Many of you have been doing this before I knew what a suit was. But you know what? That does not really apply to my daily dress. I know, I know - you can't go off and do advanced trigonometry before you master arithmetic.. but hey, I skipped a grade in school, call it the overachiever in me. And Id rather try some new stuff and have a few fails that I can learn from than play it safe 5 days a week. Cause gosh darn it, I look good, I feel good, and Im happy to be me. :lol:

Sorry if that was all over the place, but you guys were everywhere today lol. I think tomorrow its a blue suit, white shirt, blue tie, and Ill just go hide in the corner. :D

jj-moody

Reaction score
Thought provoking post.

I personally think that taste is the only absolute prerequisite to dressing well. Obviously examples exist of people without knowledge and/or money dressing well, but we can debate about the numbers.

A subtext I read into your post, or maybe this is projection, is that people should not make excuses for not dressing well, even if it's for budgetary reasons. If you can't afford bespoke and don't pull off RTW well, it's not the end of the world, there are more important things in life. But don't persist under the delusion that your best effort at the thrift shop or Gilt Groupe makes you look great, and don't post your photos on the internet expecting a big group hug.

Maybe another principle is that each bad fit posted degrades the quality of the forum, just as each good fit improves it. Perhaps this is what pisses off those of us who want to see the forum standard return to excellence. Some people want this board to be a comprehensive state school, others would prefer for it to be a exclusive school for the gifted.

You are slightly sad, but mostly irksome. You want sartorial education, then read a book. This forum wasn't made to make you happy. Also, what is most funny is your longing for the days of yore...feeling nostalgic? When is anything ever uniformly good?

Post your own fits and improve the state of things..

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jj-moody

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is going down like this when only now at 11pm I find myself with time to post.

Yes, that suit Vox posted is probably the worst fitting suit I own. Its the loosest fitting suit I own. I got it late in the summer and wanted to give it a few rolls before having it worked extensively over the winter to be perfect for next summer. (Its an Oxxford, BTW).

In terms of fit, sure Mantons fits exponentially better, not only in that picture but generally. He has a hard to fit frame that pretty much requires bespoke. I have a very good natural frame (whoever said ex-athelete, god bless you but no. I have never once seen the inside of a gym, not a single day of my life) that takes RTW pretty darn good. What my learning process here has shown me is to focus more on fit. When I first saw that photo comparison, it was really evident how much I need to take a look at that. I am a creative type - I see in color and harmony. Whoever said emotion, and emptym nailed it by saying I dress passionately (or however it was phrased), thats right. I look for a harmony in color. Last year, I started to work on texture, and thats been a big challenge to overcome - Ill find the right colors to work, but not the right textures. Scale was another that I really focused on. But fit is the last hurdle to overcome. I have not made many new RTW purchases lately, but the ones I have are looked at with different eyes than the ones that bought all the other stuff. So, thanks to the forum for giving another eye opener I suppose.

But, I do want to summarize with this, and crucify me if you wish - but I do not wish to attain perfection on any day I dress. I don't care if "the rules" tell me that my socks should not match my tie. I don't care that the rules say I should not wear bracelets with a suit. I do have a strong passion for clothes and I love looking my best as we all do. However, I do it for me. Not you, not you, and not you - I do it for me. That means that I like to match my socks to my tie, and wear my bracelets. Its me. Its my style. I do respect opposing viewpoints who will tell me when something is severely wrong, sure. And I think I don't make too too many of those. But style is very subjective, especially based upon the wearers personality and environment. I can only assume that Manton, Foo, other conservative business dress-ish guys work in extremely conservative environments. I do not. I have the luxury of being me, which is really great. Do I need to learn more about classic dress and the traditions that these things are steeped in? Sure, of course. Don't know much about it. Many of you have been doing this before I knew what a suit was. But you know what? That does not really apply to my daily dress. I know, I know - you can't go off and do advanced trigonometry before you master arithmetic.. but hey, I skipped a grade in school, call it the overachiever in me. And Id rather try some new stuff and have a few fails that I can learn from than play it safe 5 days a week. Cause gosh darn it, I look good, I feel good, and Im happy to be me.
lol8[1].gif

Sorry if that was all over the place, but you guys were everywhere today lol. I think tomorrow its a blue suit, white shirt, blue tie, and Ill just go hide in the corner.
biggrin.gif

I am at my computer, in my underwear, sweating from having had relations with Christie Turlington, but mostly crying from the emotional outpour in your post. Bravo!

Last edited:

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damn Spoo ... your emotions were definitely evident in that post. I gained some more respect for you with that response. Talk about wearing your emotion on your sleeve.
You are slightly sad, but mostly irksome. You want sartorial education, then read a book. This forum wasn't made to make you happy. Also, what is most funny is your longing for the days of yore...feeling nostalgic? When is anything ever uniformly good?

Post your own fits and improve the state of things..
your post count does not do you justice. surely you are a reincarnation of another senior member ... lol.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But, I do want to summarize with this, and crucify me if you wish - but I do not wish to attain perfection on any day I dress. I don't care if "the rules" tell me that my socks should not match my tie. I don't care that the rules say I should not wear bracelets with a suit. I do have a strong passion for clothes and I love looking my best as we all do. However, I do it for me. Not you, not you, and not you - I do it for me. That means that I like to match my socks to my tie, and wear my bracelets. Its me. Its my style. I do respect opposing viewpoints who will tell me when something is severely wrong, sure. And I think I don't make too too many of those. But style is very subjective, especially based upon the wearers personality and environment. I can only assume that Manton, Foo, other conservative business dress-ish guys work in extremely conservative environments. I do not. I have the luxury of being me, which is really great. Do I need to learn more about classic dress and the traditions that these things are steeped in? Sure, of course. Don't know much about it. Many of you have been doing this before I knew what a suit was. But you know what? That does not really apply to my daily dress. I know, I know - you can't go off and do advanced trigonometry before you master arithmetic.. but hey, I skipped a grade in school, call it the overachiever in me. And Id rather try some new stuff and have a few fails that I can learn from than play it safe 5 days a week. Cause gosh darn it, I look good, I feel good, and Im happy to be me. :lol:

Sorry if that was all over the place, but you guys were everywhere today lol. I think tomorrow its a blue suit, white shirt, blue tie, and Ill just go hide in the corner. :D

please dude, i know you do it for me. :uhoh:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and +1 to feeling the emotion you put into that post. very real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads