• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Going casual today as well...

I feel pretty decent about my ability to put an outfit together in terms of materials, textures and colors, but I dread the full-length shot. :fu:

Dont dread the full length shot. You look good in this pic.

Trouser waist height good, trouser length (break) good. Shirt fits well and collar stand height good. Colour contrast good between shirt and SC. SC tail hem length is about an inch short but not very noticable. PS is dowdy in colour and fabric too heavy with the corduroy.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have definitely done the above before. A while back GQ told readers to size down on suits/SCs until they did not fit, then go one up. :facepalm:

What does GQ know about style anyway. They deal in fashion, dont they!!

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gee Kevin I think you must have touched on an extremely raw nerve there Bud.

The Lady protests too much, she must be a closet case.

Far too close to home I'm afraid Darling!!

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

oh come on guys ... you know me well enough. i have always said using the ignore function is for females ... i will never put anyone on ignore ... no matter how i feel about them. i have seen too much in life to be affected by people i don't know, who i won't ever hang out with, whose opinions mean nothing to me.

needless to say my big head and i are hanging out in Buenos Aries right now with beautiful models who are saying things i can absolutely not understand ....

818f104f.jpg

have a great night all ...​

love how they have their little hats on.

Are you in BA for work?

kcc

Reaction score

From today. Dressed more for the weather. Pretty boring.

Tie is twill for some texture, but :fu: bad quality camera.

Love this look; black shoes and a non-tv-fold square would have completed the look, IMO.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, you can exchange pm's if you want to discuss ethics of namecalling in context of homosexuality.

+ 1 to your comment Luftvier. Your avatar reminds me of a Norwegian metal band from early 90's :laugh: its cool :devil:

It's Abbath of Immortal. So you're right to be reminded of them. Note, however, that Immortal is still around making albums and touring.

i would have to say UC has the best consistent fits of WAYWRN these days.

Lufty rocks too much sack, and i am still not a fan of the sack. at the same time i appreciate his concerns about his work environment, and walking the line there between looking good and looking too good. i also deal with this, although not on a daily basis.

UC always looks sharp. He and I have a different approach and stylistic preferences, I think, but similar elements. Also, I'd be careful about using the terms "rocks too much sack" out of context. :happy:

I nearly spit out my coffee.

:lol:

I'm sorry, and regardless of how funny it was, it was an intentional insult. End of.

It wasn't an insult, it was a playful quip. Perhaps we should have a playful quip font?

I'm beginning to feel that for the vast majority of people who don't have normal builds and don't want to spend for bespoke, the sack is the best silhouette. Which makes sense, if you remember its historic roots as one of the earliest successful ready-to-wear silhouettes, since it is designed to suit the vast majority of men. Luftvier has me thinking about going to the Southwick Douglas model through made-to-measure, since my build precludes ready-to-wear.

Not all of my coats are sack coats, nor are all of my suits. However, it's become the style I prefer most. It "suits" the most because it's anonymous. This is sort of my goal - which I realize is also silly since we're discussing this on an forum where folks are obsessing over fit.

Flusser's thoughts:

The Sack, or Brooks Brothers Natural-Shoulder, Suit

The sack, or the Brooks Brothers natural-shoulder, suit has been, for almost a century now, the backbone of American clothing. First popularized near the turn of the century, it was a silhouette characterized by a shapeless, nondarted jacket with narrow shoulders (which were soft and unpadded) as well as by flap pockets, a single rear vent, and a three- or four-button front. Designed large in order to fit many sizes, it was the first mass-produced suit and it looks it. After all, it was not called the sack suit for nothing.

Perhaps the biggest strength of the sack silhouette is also its basic weakness: it hides the shape of its wearer and takes away any sense of individuality. The reason it has managed to exist successfully for such a long period of time is simply that it appeals to the common denominator. Since it is so anonymous, it offends no one, enabling the wearer to walk into any environment and be acceptably attired.

For those seeking anonymity in their clothing, or wishing to hide an ungainly figure, this may be an acceptable style. But for anyone else, the sack-style suit is woefully inappropriate.

Teh Gay Panic is hilarious. I love how that fella went straight to Pistols At Dawn when Kevvy Kev said he looked like a twink.

For those who're worried about it or think it's insulting: Think about how many times you've called someone "gay", or other more derogatory terms for gay men, in jest. Now get over being called a twink, or powerbottom. It was an OTT comment meant to poke a little fun at the OTT response to being called twink. Provocative? Perhaps, but it was meant only to highlight the total overreaction.

I just noted this ad from 1961. Note the price of $145. That's about $1,050.00 today, accounting for inflation. Prices really haven't changed all that much.

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As you may remember, I thought you were an abominable dresser back then. Now you are probably the best consistent poster in this thread. Good job.

Yes, I remember, and you were right.

But that you consider me among the more consistent in this thread speaks more about the absence of the old guard than any of my own acts.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UC, please tell me those are not light or skin socks.
Are you wearing white socks?
cloud.gif
smile.gif
:lookaround: Not white, but not much better. I rushed out yesterday morning, popped the suit in the car, saw that I didn't have socks in my go bag, & asked my wife to grab me a pair of socks. When she asked me what color I was wearing, I said blue, and she brought me those. Didn't have time to change. :embar:
Lufty rocks too much sack, and i am still not a fan of the sack. at the same time i appreciate his concerns about his work environment, and walking the line there between looking good and looking too good. i also deal with this, although not on a daily basis.
Luft's look may be relatively staid, but the components he chooses elevate it from being just another "suit." It doesn't stand out, but it still looks good. There's something to be said when an outfit is more than just the sum of their parts. It's when someone adds to their suit a tasteful shirt & tie, a well-chosen pair of shoes & socks (although don't look to me for advice on the latter). One doesn't have to go for "WOW!" Just wear something that fits and don't wear anything ugly. If the look is pleasing to the eye, one has succeeded. Pretty much as simple as that.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lookaround: Not white, but not much better. I rushed out yesterday morning, popped the suit in the car, saw that I didn't have socks in my go bag, & asked my wife to grab me a pair of socks. When she asked me what color I was wearing, I said blue, and she brought me those. Didn't have time to change. :embar:

Brilliant excuse. :)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_3815.jpg

Jacket - Turnbull & Asser
Shirt - Truzzi
Glasses - Oliver Peoples
PS - Rubinacci
Trousers - Mabitex
Socks - Pantharella
Shoes - Herring

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are assholes!
*insert gay joke here*

anyway
I am here to learn how to dress up properly
So lets stick to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads