• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a bunch of multiquotes saved, but losing them just capped off a long ass and annoying day.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your opinions... I felt the jacket was Okaaaaayy... not great, but as Nii said, I was experimenting, because Im so tired of putting a navy blazer with red pants... c'est la vie...

A few of you had good stuff today too.... you know who you are, LOL

Doxe

Reaction score

SCENE
Philadelphia. August. Early Morning. Underground, on the Westbound El by the Courthouse.

Random Old Guy: (walking up to me as we exit the El) Hey, counselor, are those brown shoes?

Me: Oh, no, they're burgundy.

ROG: Eh? Well, they look brown to me…(pregnant pause}…The judge is gonna throw you outta court for that, you know.

Me: Have a nice day! (walking away briskly).

EXEUNT.

I know of a judge who refuses to hear lawyers who are not wearing black shoes. Brown is for farmer :(

Google justice Mary Southin. A hard ass's hard ass.

Nonchalant

Reaction score

The problem with Kevin's look becomes really apparent in black-and-white:

1000x500px-LL-674f5d05_015.jpg

The shirt and suit blend together, and the tie is lighter than the shirt.

V V- While your point regarding the similarity in tone of the subject's shirt and suit may be valid, I don't believe your method of substantiating it is applicable for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not aware that anyone's color blindness is so extreme that they see in black and white and secondly reducing any two adjacent colors to black and white can result in matching shades of gray depending on the hues and saturation. One could easily post a picture in color of a red rose on green grass that in black and white would appear as two identical shades of gray. Point taken... but process not so much.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

V V- While your point regarding the similarity in tone of the subject's shirt and suit may be valid, I don't believe your method of substantiating it is applicable for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not aware that anyone's color blindness is so extreme that they see in black and white and secondly reducing any two adjacent colors to black and white can result in matching shades of gray depending on the hues and saturation. One could easily post a picture in color of a red rose on green grass that in black and white would appear as two identical shades of gray. Point taken... but process not so much.

It's just a tool to help diagnose, something that I learned working in graphic design. It's not a hard-and-fast rule.

A.J.V

Reaction score

very nice - particularly like the play of the print in the tie to the pants.

Thanks Nii!

SCENE
Philadelphia. August. Early Morning. Underground, on the Westbound El by the Courthouse.

In Finland it's enough that you just have some shoes to go to the court :D

You have a nice vibe going on. Even though I don't share your love to sack suits and some shoes that are a bit "clumsy" for my taste, this is maybe the forth or fifth fit in a row that I've liked a lot!

Happy Friday eve girls. Wider tie, longer collar..
p1030956.jpg
p1030948x.jpg

P1030952.jpg
p1030955l.jpg
Love about everything in this one. It's simple and it's working!

freedom_fries

Reaction score
ah, this tie and collar - i purchased the tie (jil sander) on impulse for next to nothing from an outlet store, but don't really know what to do with it. although i like narrow ties, it's too narrow for most of my lapels, too shiny for a casual outfit. oh well.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know Victor is killing it on this threat but can I get some feedback with the fitting of my jacket? It would be greatly appreciated.

tbh, it just doesn't fit you well. Collar, shoulders, arms - they all look "uncomfortable" sitting on you. A jacket should rest on a body; yours doesn't appear to do so in the pics posted. Since you mentioned Victor, compare how his jacket rests on his body compared to yours (feel free to substitute any of the bespoke or even very careful MTM wearers in the thread). It's not a matter of yours being too big or too small; it just doesn't have the right general shape around you in lots of little ways that add up to it looking a bit off. Sorry to be so harsh.

(It's also too short, but that's a matter of personal preference.)

Anyone else notice that our other well-dressed Russian friend, IST66, disappeared right around the time that Victor showed up?
lookaround.gif
Vox and IST left around the same time. ....Did someone scoup out their brains and transplant them?

Dr Mengele has clearly been busy. First StyleForum itself, now vox & IST. The experiments continue...

I had a bunch of multiquotes saved, but losing them just capped off a long ass and annoying day.

I'm trying to stop multiquoting, and use the Thumbs Up feature instead for positive feedback. You can provide a quick comment in the box with constructive feedback as well as the bits you liked. It would compress the thread nicely if others also chose to use it this way, I think. You can then reserve the multiquote feedback for longer/more-detailed advice. Much less time-consuming that way.

But since I've quoted you anyway(!), I'll comment here instead: nice top half; trousers a bit too bright. A few shades darker red and it would have worked better IMO.

i purchased the tie (jil sander) on impulse for next to nothing from an outlet store, but don't really know what to do with it. although i like narrow ties, it's too narrow for most of my lapels, too shiny for a casual outfit.

Keep it for casual looks, but use it at night, where the sheen (and informality of width) works to your advantage.

First time I've worn anything particularly SF-y this week I think:

2sUre.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit - BB GF Regent
Shirt - The Shirt Store, NYC
Tie - BB
PS - BB
Cufflinks - Charles Tyrwhitt
Shoes - C & J Edgwares

IMGP0867417x1280.jpg

IMGP0868664x1280.jpg

IMGP0863999x1280.jpg

IMGP0864838x1280.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the love you Americans have for brown / burgundy shoes with formal wear is nauseous.

You mean nauseating. We Americans are nauseating. :teach:

That's why no one ever immigrates here.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You mean nauseating. We Americans are nauseating. :teach:

That's why no one ever immigrates here.

Nauseous. Nauseated. The first means “sickening to contemplate”: the second means “sick to the stomach.” Do not, therefore, say, “I feel nauseous,” unless you are sure you have that effect on others. Strunk & White 1979: 53.

Hence to me it is Nauseous.

Yours,

A. Pedant.

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nauseous. Nauseated. The first means “sickening to contemplate”: the second means “sick to the stomach.” Do not, therefore, say, “I feel nauseous,” unless you are sure you have that effect on others. Strunk & White 1979: 53.

Hence to me it is Nauseous.

Yours,

A. Pedant.

Strunk & White make me both nauseous and nauseated. See, e.g. What Not to Do as Writer.

I remain, every faithfully
Your S.,
-L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads