• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post the Friday Challenge. Wanting to wear something that spoke of summer, but without resorting to seersucker or linen, I chose the ensemble below. The inclusion of a hat is the momentary inspiration from Don Cologne's posting.

Suit - BB Fitzgerald
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hermes
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
PS - no name brand
Shoes - C & J Maltons
Hat - Seifter Associates

jasonmx3

Reaction score
Rarely post pics (mostly a lurker in this thread) but I figured I should participate sometimes. Sorry about the wrinkled pants. Noticed them only after the pic was taken.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
California Tuxedo Friday. I can save you one piece of criticism right off the bat and say that the PS turned out too matchy for my taste - should have gone with another colour or just cream silk - but hindsight is 20/20...

Close-up etc:

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guise-
Clags, elegant
Nathan Lane, sorry, it's you DC, nice fit
smile.gif

Pingson- that's a great jacket- 2 great jackets really, and a fantastic tie- so subtle, so dry

Would appreciate opinions on which is better below?- with the blue linen, or same fit, brown escorial tie.
Cream poplin shirt, white linen PS

Deets..
Lite Blue Linen- Hober

Escorial wool tie from Panta

Vass Italian Oxford

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great color combos, but I'm not convinced on the shirt. Looks decidedly business-y for a cool and relaxed summer outfit. Besides, all that glorious linen next to a crisp white shirt? Seems a little incoherent. Everything else though? Glorious!

From the summer fit challenge:

Sea foam blue linen jacket
Silk and linen pink tie
Cream tropical weight trousers

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have a bias towards Panta - I have that same tie and wore it earlier this week. Some might say it's too much brown with the jacket, but I like it. Generally I don't really like light colored ties at all.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the summer fit challenge:

Sea foam blue linen jacket
Silk and linen pink tie
Cream tropical weight trousers

At first blush, I liked this fit and it will undoubtedly read as well-dressed to everyone you meet today. The square's colours & pattern are the perfect foil for the jacket in particular.

Having said that, there are things that task me, as Ahab or Khan would say...
- the tie is a little pale for the look, given the brightness of the jacket; something darker in the middle of your frame would probably centre the look better.
- like Ianiceman mentioned upthread, I really don't think wearing boots with this look makes any sense.
- but my biggest issue is with trousers which exhibit my personal bete noire with some summer weight items: visible pocket outlines due to the fabric being that sheer. I had to return a lightweight suit a while back because of exactly this problem. Once you see it, it's terribly irritating to know the problem's there. I bet the rear pockets also stand out in a similarly annoying way (esp. irritating to know they're visible if you take your jacket off; likely in hot weather!) and because the fabric's so gauzy, in bright sunshine, beware people being able to tell what you're wearing underneath or creating a young Diana effect!
smile.gif

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Clags - if you're a big made-in-the-US guy for shoes, I'm surprised you haven't tried Alden yet.
I actually don't care all that much. More of just a "that's what I've always purchased" sort of thing. Not a huge fan of Aldens; I suspect my next shoe will be Carmina, though only because I have all the AE's I'd be interested in. I'm not a shoe guy, clearly.

Once you see it, it's terribly irritating to know the problem's there.

Ah, so thanks for letting me know so I can see it and be irritated ^_^

Fortunately, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist. I have no problem with people knowing I prefer light blue boxer briefs. However, should it ever be an issue, I can always have some cotton lining sewn in (I hope).

As far as the boots...I figured nobody would notice I'm wearing boots walking around. The cognac looked so nice against the cream I couldn't resist. It is probably a crime that will be committed again

@cm: Agreed about the shirt. Next time this outfit gets worn, I'll use my oxford spread collar. I don't want to wear the tie with a patterned shirt for fear of detracting from the tie's texture.

Last edited:

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Minus the tie...I like. Deets on the SC?
Re Claghorns outfit: Please clarify for me?

Is it that you do not like the tie and recommend he choose another one to wear with this outfit?
or
Is it that you like the tie but think he should not be wearing a tie with his outfit.?

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi guise- Clags, elegant Nathan Lane, sorry, it's you DC, nice fit
smile.gif
Pingson- that's a great jacket- 2 great jackets really, and a fantastic tie- so subtle, so dry
I love that Vanda tie :inlove:
Would appreciate opinions on which is better below?- with the blue linen, or same fit, brown escorial tie. Cream poplin shirt, white linen PS
Deets.. Lite Blue Linen- Hober
Escorial wool tie from Panta Vass Italian Oxford
I don't like the blue tie - too light. Brown is better from a distance, but I don't like it as much in the close-up photo where the different shades of brown of the tie and SC, IMHO, clash. A a darker blue might actually be the best option.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I have a bias towards Panta - I have that same tie and wore it earlier this week. Some might say it's too much brown with the jacket, but I l:nodding:ike it. Generally I don't really like light colored ties at all.

I know rite? I find lite ties tricky too. The escorial has a nice hand..

I love that Vanda tie :inlove:u
I don't like the blue tie - too light. Brown is better from a distance, but I don't like it as much in the close-up photo where the different shades of brown of the tie and SC, IMHO, clash. A a darker blue might actually be the best option.

I agree about the lite blue. Maybe with a fawn linen SC then.
the Vanda doesnt present so well in pics i find but dammit its a nice tie
Clagsi see HFs point but generally your hitting it outta the park evry fit
Of course if u raise the camera a foot or so those sternum-hugging issues will fade away..

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- but my biggest issue is with trousers which exhibit my personal bete noire with some summer weight items: visible pocket outlines due to the fabric being that sheer. I had to return a lightweight suit a while back because of exactly this problem. Once you see it, it's terribly irritating to know the problem's there. I bet the rear pockets also stand out in a similarly annoying way (esp. irritating to know they're visible if you take your jacket off; likely in hot weather!) and because the fabric's so gauzy, in bright sunshine, beware people being able to tell what you're wearing underneath or creating a young Diana effect!
smile.gif
I've just decided if this is going to happen, it's going to happen. I'm wearing the lightest weight and color I can in summers. I have these pants and am wearing them. I see the issue and just let it happen. Like wrinkles in linen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members