• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernstyle

Reaction score
Semi Trad fit for the second to last day of work:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*laughin* some folks are overwhelmed by some color and pattern. I like it

I'm sorry, Liverano or not (the suit is obviously well made), this really hurts my eyes. There's just too much going on, IMO, and the tie and shirt are way too loud with the muted suit colours. Since that suit is such masterpiece, I'd have chosen to let that take centre stage and toned down the shirt and accessories...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Green shirts are a pain; I should know, I've owned several over the years as I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes. Having said that, beige trousers are a good choice for them. I think I'd like that shirt more if the stripes were much wider, or if it was a gingham.
Re: the trousers Leaving length aside, I'm not a huge fan of cuffing summer trousers; somehow I don't like how linens, cottons, etc look when turned up. I think turn ups look nicest on "fluffy" fabrics like flannel. I appreciate that this pretty idiosyncratic, but there it is. I also think a (slightly) higher rise might flatter you more, but again, that's a personal preference and IIRC you've mentioned before that you don't like higher rises.

thanks for the feedback HF. im not sure what i prefer more when it comes to cuffs and chinos, so i cuffed some and not others.

Like the combi and fit In Stitches. How much break do you usually get on your trousers?

thanks, meng. i usually aim for a teensy weensy bit of break on my wool dress trousers, and prefer erring on the side of no break than more break. with my casual pants, i like a little more break.

i dont know if you recall the great rise debate of not so long ago, where i made a huge ass of myself, but i go by my outseam since i wear all my pants at the same point across my waist. ideally 37.75 inches, and 38 inches for most of my chinos. tailor doesnt always get it spot on tho. : (

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sothernstyle, new job or vacay?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diaz this silhouette is excellent; shoulders are cut close; like the slope too; waist and quarters suit yr build perfectly. Wouldn't this look great in a Fox chalk stripe? Or in say a light Fresco-style cloth perhaps with a little less roping.

Originally Posted by RDiaz

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL - I don't usually go all out with this suit, but I had a bit of a bet to fulfill today. I'll tone it down for you next time, Eliod.
biggrin.gif

Haha, that's ok, to each his own!
smile.gif
I missed it was a bet, though. What was the bet about?

*laughin* some folks are overwhelmed by some color and pattern. I like it

Well, since we are discussing matters of style here, and this is the 'classic menswear' forum, an outfit like this is sure to raise some eyebrows. Nothing wrong with some colour or pattern per se, it's how it is done that counts.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diaz this silhouette is excellent; shoulders are cut close; like the slope too; waist and quarters suit yr build perfectly. Wouldn't this look great in a Fox chalk stripe? Or in say a light Fresco-style cloth perhaps with a little less roping.
Thanks! Yeah, widening the wrap gave the jacket some shape again. But this was MTM and it's a hit and miss, because the factory never gets it right and the next jacket could be completely different. In fact this one has a couple problems: back balance is slightly long and waist shaping is placed too low, so the vents, while not gaping constantly, "like" to do it. I started saving for bespoke a few months back, and perhaps by september/october I will be able to start with my first commission, hope it works out well! I've already chosen a new tailor.

And yep, I agree a flannel chalk stripe DB would definately be awesome
smile.gif

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah Diaz pity cos that cuts looking good

itstaken me a loong time to work out how I think I should wear this FU.

G&H Worsted Tweed
Drakes Macclesfield + Kelim
H&H shirt (okay it's yellow)
Flannel- flat fronts
EG

Last edited:

Jazz3Pickz

Reaction score
What shoes are those? They look like a mix between boat shoes and penny loafers and driving moccasins. They look very comfortable.

I'm pretty sure they're Allen Edmonds Kenwood. I have a pair and they are very comfortable :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Clearly. I am just surprised that some people actually think it looks good.

Like I said, I don't think there's a single element that I like. But somehow I just enjoyed the whole shameless FU-ness of the effort.

G&H Worsted Tweed

What a splendid jacket. Great stuff!

Giving seersucker a rest so I can try it with the dark blue pants tomorrow.
Lovely combo: even the orange looks good.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The weather persists in being hot, and Cinderella, having come home from yesterday's ball at the Frick with both slippers, but damp from sweat, as opted for a more casual look today.

Shirt, trousers, shoes - all BB

One of the merry band of posters here criticized me for wearing my hat with the brim down all the way around - Quentin Crisp was invoked in comparison. In addition having far greater personal hygiene than Quentin (I met the man once, many years ago), I don't really see the equivalence. As an experiment, I snapped the back of the brim up, and took a photo - one can compare it with the candids taken last night at the museum. There's virtually no difference to my eye, but others may differ on this.

A couple of photos from last night's event - forgive the cell phone quality. The event had at least four professional photographers at it - the woman in the background in the outdoor picture (the sliver of an arm cradling a large camera) has been at this event the last four years, and seems to be the official photographer for the museum. She took a few photos of my partner and myself, outside - we'll see if they end up ever being published.

Crusty is as dapper as Healey Willan who was considered to be the "dean" of Canadian composers. Willan once described himself as "English by birth; Canadian by adoption; Irish by extraction; Scotch by absorption."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads