• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score
I will not comment on discussions me. This is a position of principle. Thank you for your understanding.

Back to the subject of style!
nod[1].gif

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of whom no longer post fits here, unfortunately. And I don't think many people who know what they are talking about are claiming that Victor is 'better' than any of those posters. Why not concentrate on giving the kind of feedback you think is useful to whoever deserves it and posting some great fits yourself (i.e. leading by example), rather than being negative?

I try to give as much feedback as possible, both to regular and newer members.
I'd like to share fits of mine but I do neither posses the clothes nor the camera to do so, but I have never stated differently.

I think I/we should listen to Victor and bring this thread back to the discussion about style, I apologise for the distraction.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a few clients this morning then an outdoor party so went a little more casual. Wanted to give a fall element to my royal blue SC so I went with new caramel chinos I got from J.Crew. Obviously the quality is not as good as something from epaulet or howard yount, but the fit on the new 484 chinos is perfect in the seat and waist for me and tapers very nicely without being skinny and decent on sale for price. I got them in some non staple colors for fun in the fall (rust, caramel, purple, light blue). Outdoor pictures capture color best

Edit: wore brown suede BB peal chukkas

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/7989376693/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/7989380924/]
[/url][/url]

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chest looks very pronounced in the mirror shot but that might be due to the angle the picture was taken.
The jacket's sleeves seem long, we can't see the shirt's cuffs.
I love the colour of your pants and the triple patch pocket jacket!
The shirt is great as well, even though I don't like non BD collars worn without a tie.
What kind of shoes were you wearing?

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score
Victor, I really like the cloth the suit is made out of, it looks really great!
However, I'm not so sure about patch pockets on a suit, that doesn't do it for me personally. And I also have this thing about tassel loafers
confused.gif

Recently, I wore only summer jackets and suits.

All are made from mixtures of fabric linen / silk / wool. And, by definition, are not strict, and summer casual variants.

Therefore, a choice of pockets, as less formal.

On the subject of shoes: as these all Summer suit casual fabric linen / silk / wool, the use of Loafers, which is predominantly a summer footwear - it seems very appropriate.

Collars on shirts, yes, I totally agree that they are not very good, but what the hell, I can not alter a 100 my sewed shirts!
smile.gif

It is very expensive and generally lazy.
shog[1].gif

Here are the new shirts will be booking with the corrected collar.
Thank you for helping me to understand this question, guys!
worship.gif

As for my style - I think I need a lot more work and learn that it was good.
I very much do not understand and try to learn what to understand.
To do this, it takes years and years.

Thanks a lot, guys, what can I learn from your example and your comments.
Thanks to you, I'm starting to understand a little.
And I am happy that I can continue to learn from people on this board!
worship.gif

I consider myself weak newcomers in a style that is still much to understand and learn.
shog[1].gif

I am very far from just up to the "not bad" and even further to "good."
confused.gif

And as to the knowledge of the truth at all an abyss.

And I'm glad you told me to what I have shortcomings and failures. It helps me to become better.
worship.gif
smile.gif

Thank you again guys!
My teachers.
My friends.
My colleagues

Spasibo!!!
smile.gif

Last edited:

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only complaints: Trousers too short and right sleeve caught. I get why some are calling for socks; the reason being that, with a suit, sockless looks a little odd. Doesn't bother me too much, personally, but it may come off cleaner.

Last edited:

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned SOS's trousers ... IMO the jacket is pretty good but the drape on the pants could be a lot better. Those lines are a clear sign of poor drape. I think SOS is slightly bow legged and that wasn't factored in by the cutter. Just a thought ... Could be wrong about the bowleggedness ...

Last edited:

rcc1

Reaction score
Only complaints: Trousers too short and right sleeve caught. I get why some are calling for socks; the reason being that, with a suit, sockless looks a little odd. Doesn't bother me too much, personally, but it may come off cleaner.

maybe its a tomy browne lol

Layered Player

Reaction score
Love this time of year, starting to feel a snap in the air...darker, richer colors and hardier fabrics.

Obligatory ****** iPhone bathroom pic but at least it's MY bathroom; front quarter caught on the shirt placket

SC: RL Made in Canada
PS: no idea, ex gf said she got it from a nannying gig with the Rockefellers as a yout
Shirt: Vintage Etro
Tie: Vintage Rooster(retailers tag says Bowdoin Pharmacy, Kennebunk, Maine)
Trousers: Banana Republic
Socks: ?
Shoes: Bostonian shell cordovan shortwings

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what a great cloth on that jacket LayeredPlayer- prefer this to a more contrasty overcheck

I think you will find that the collar issue has been pointed out to Victor several times by different people, and he has already agreed with the criticism. You don't expect him to have a whole new wardrobe of shirts made immediately, do you? I don't like his obsession with loafers and I've told him too - but most of the forum love loafers... I don't agree with your comments on colour and pattern - I think he generally has a commitment to a certain kind of look which he pursues with rigour and is mostly successful. I admire that much more than whether he conforms to any external rules. And finally, just because someone gives a thumbs-up doesn't mean that they approve of everything - it's about whether the post is helpful and/or interesting as much as anything else.

As for the rest of you comments, some seem to be more about your own prejudices and frustrations. Why do you feel the need to post attacking a particular member and one who makes decent contributions at that? What relevance is it that he is a 'Russian businessman'? Why is bad that he has a tailor, or even that he is friends with one - surely, that's what all of us want?

If you have criticisms about specific fits, just make them, but please don't start some kind of campaign against an individual.

I didn't read Louis' comments as an 'attack' so much as a bit of eye-rolling and frustration at a group dynamic. IIRC Louis began his post with a bunch of positive stuff about Victor- trying not to play the man. Call me crazy but I'm sure I've occasionally seen popular guys get a ton of thumbs for second-rate fits when a few honest 'What were u thinking, man? That's just wrong!' comments would have been in order. Meanwhile some good fits are overlooked because the poasters are nobodies.... 'What's his post count? time here? how've people responded b4? who's he talk with? how are they rated ?'' etc etc Wasn't that Louis' point? High school + better clothes. brutal sometimes, mostly reasonable.

As for my style - I think I need a lot more work and learn that it was good.
I very much do not understand and try to learn what to understand.
To do this, it takes years and years.

Thanks a lot, guys, what can I learn from your example and your comments.
Thanks to you, I'm starting to understand a little.
And I am happy that I can continue to learn from people on this board!
worship.gif

I consider myself weak newcomers in a style that is still much to understand and learn.
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I am very far from just up to the "not bad" and even further to "good."
confused.gif

And as to the knowledge of the truth at all an abyss.

And I'm glad you told me to what I have shortcomings and failures. It helps me to become better.
worship.gif
smile.gif

Thank you again guys!
My teachers.
My friends.
My colleagues

Spasibo!!!
smile.gif

Spasibo, guy Youre a sport

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

ha! navy and brown today for me, too.

Brunch with SO at the Ritz:

Did I pick the right (left) shirt for this combo? didn't opt for a linen pocket square, thoughts?

#edit: Post 600
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

rokr32

Reaction score

A new combination I tried out today, not sure if it worked. Also, I realize that there is too much pocket square showing, but don't worry as it was pushed into the pocket later on.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clapey, the choice of shirt was right and the colour combination is lovely.
Seems as if you shirt sleeves are a bit on the short side and the left cuff not wide enough to slide over your watch, yet very SF nitpicky.
The only item I would seriously consider changing about is the jacket. Flap pockets are just too formal to go without a tie for my liking.
Hope you had a great evening and your new haircut looks great!

potemkin_city_limits, I strongly dislike the tie - the knot is too big, as is the pattern of it, I don't see the appeal of the stone pin and it's colours don't work with the otherwise monochrome white/grey/black outfit.
Jacket and shirt look nice though!

rokr32, the tie's pattern is too busy for my liking and once again the windsor knot does nothing for me.
I think you would profit highly from a less bold shade of blue in your shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads