• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input (although I still don't quite know what drape means... those little waves in the chest from extra material?).  I actually have two of these broad houndstooth black and white coats that I am trying to decide between, and then I am going to the tailor.

Here is the other one.

You've got some fairly serious lapel issues in both jackets. They really shouldn't bow out in a curve from your neck. See HF's fit above as an example and compare and contrast with your fit. Not sure that this would be fixable for a reasonable amount of money at a tailor.

Welcome.

Now go get some shirts with a more spread collar. Burn the second (grey white) tie.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UC, may I ask what that "thing" is called on the tip of your shoe laces? And what function does it serve? I can only imagine that you put them on after lacing the shoes?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1f478812.jpg

5b03568a.jpg

500dd190.jpg

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Quote:
You've got some fairly serious lapel issues in both jackets. They really shouldn't bow out in a curve from your neck. See HF's fit above as an example and compare and contrast with your fit. Not sure that this would be fixable for a reasonable amount of money at a tailor.
Welcome.
Now go get some shirts with a more spread collar. Burn the second (grey white) tie.

Thanks for the advice. The consensus seems to be get rid of both coats which I will do. And yes, that isn't the best tie.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Must learn how to quote properly on not-so-new SF.
It's a TF - I thought people would remember it?! I felt my last efforts with it were either too subdued (the blue knit tie) or too complex (the check tie). I prefer a plain shirt between a more complex jacket and tie, but things aren't always so simple. I tend to wear a lot of country-check shirts with such patterns. IST66 often presents very good reasons for going for a plain shirt between complex jacket and tie :devil:.

Although the TF gets SF-approval for the loudness and brand, the navy plaid is my favourite conservative suit - although it only gets dragged out once a year or so. The fit is now so-so, as it's pre-weight-loss. Front isn't terrible, but the back... It occurred to me that, as someone who pays some attention, I've almost never noticed the back of a man's suit, so I don't care.:hide:

Guy in my office building has this same suit. It looks a million times better on you though. I don't think the guy I work with got the correct size.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UC, may I ask what that "thing" is called on the tip of your shoe laces? And what function does it serve? I can only imagine that you put them on after lacing the shoes?

The proper term for the "thing" on the end of any shoelace is "aglet". In the case of my shoes today, the aglets are small leather tabs, rather than being metal or plastic bindings, to keep the ends of the shoelaces from fraying. The aglets were made for the shoes, and remain on the laces (but can be removed, if I were to need to get new shoelaces).

Otherwise, their purpose is decorative.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the unloved concave shoulders

074.JPG

Those shoulders are intense. Talk about making a statement.

Feeling meh about today's shirt/tie combination. Better in concept than in execution, sadly. The poor fit of this jacket around my neck is starting to bug me more too... causes me to leave the jacket unbuttoned more often than not. I thought the corduroy material would loosen up after what must be around 10 wears now, but no sign yet.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cindy Sherman retrospective at the Modern this evening - should be fun.
Suit - BB
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Andrew's Ties
Cufflinks - BB
PS - Robert Talbott
Topcoat - JAB
Scarf - HF
Hat - Scala
I have no idea how you're wearing that many layers today and not dying of heatstroke, but this (imo) your best post since I've been on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads