• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY

Who did it best? (Multiple choices accepted.)

• @Gerry Nelson

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • @bienluienapris

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • @gdl203

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • @EFV

• @Cleav

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • @Thrift Vader

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • @Academic2

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • @SYCSYC

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • @jcmeyer

• @Coxsackie

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • @Kai

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • @Darkside

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • @Claghorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
van Gogh:

van Ac:

Admired painters:

Far too many to list, from anonymous medieval through Vermeer, Cezanne, Klimt, Kandinsky (especially middle period) ...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Van Gogh is the choice of #menswear folk everywhere
smile.gif

SYCSYC

Reaction score
I did not plan to enter this week's FC, but then I remembered an outfit from a while ago that struck me as looking like the famous "The Scream" paint from Edvard Munch.

I love this masterpiece because it resonates in my memories with a fantastic novel I read when I was a teenager named "ORANGE IS FOR ANGUISH, BLUE FOR INSANITY", which pitch was:

A young artist becomes fixated to a 19th century impressionist named Van Dorn, who, despite being a genius in his time, was bypassed and unrecognized. Van Dorn’s frustration eventually shakes his sanity and by gouging his eyes, he met death.
The artist, in an attempt to comprehend Van Dorn’s genius and insanity, tried to relive the impressionist’s life; immersed in his paintings, stayed at the same inn, ate at the same diner, and visited the exact location of the infamous painting that drove him mad.
In the end, his obsession caused him his own sanity; for those who try to uncover the secret of Van Dorn is doomed to a gruesome end.

And now, let's make SF Scream at sartorial Insanity:

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Thrifty has this one in the bag, but despite that...

^ Portrait of Paul Tortelier, by June Mendoza

What is amazing about Mendoza's painting is how accurately she was able to depict Tortelier's playing position.

I had to change my stance a bit to get that look. Tortelier has a high right shoulder, which is typical of the French school of playing. I've spent my whole cellistic life trying to keep my right shoulder relaxed, allowing the weight of the arm to provide power for the bow rather than by using muscular force. This is more typical of the Russian way of playing - I learnt from the school of Russian cellist Boris Pergamenschikow.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So far, Cox, TV, and Ac2 have my votes.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought that was understood?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought TV had it in the bag till I saw Coxsackie's entry.

I really appreciate the accurate representation of both the bowing and the fingering hands as well as the facial expression and positioning. Excellent work!

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bet on a horse 'til you know the entire field ...

Cheers,

Ac

(More seriously, I wouldn't want to discourage people from throwing their hats in the ring. Sorry for the mixed metaphor ...)

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads