• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY

Who did it best? (Multiple choices accepted.)

• @Gerry Nelson

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • @bienluienapris

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • @gdl203

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • @EFV

• @Cleav

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • @Thrift Vader

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • @Academic2

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • @SYCSYC

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • @jcmeyer

• @Coxsackie

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • @Kai

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • @Darkside

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • @Claghorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea is simple. Choose a piece of art that inspires you, and dress accordingly. No other rules. Entries by 4PM Sunday EST. Poll closes Monday, August 3 evening 8PM EST.

It has been over a year since an art-inspired challenge has taken place, and I think there are enough new active members to keep it interesting. I want to reiterate that there are no rules for this challenge, in order to attract visitors from other corners of this forum here. Also, for selfish reasons, I would like to know what type of art the regular users here appreciate, as it will aide in my personal discovery.

Bonus points for creative one-liners describing the relation of your fit or image to the piece of art.

Here are some exquisite examples from the previous years:
LL

600x600px-LL-d7771353_image.jpeg

600x600px-LL-a6e50d8c_image.jpeg

LL

LL

LL

600x600px-LL-b151d5d3_image.jpeg

600x600px-LL-3686fe85_image.jpeg

Here are this week's participants. Thanks to everyone who submitted. It ranged from paintings to film to novels to music.
Inspiration:

Execution:

I like a variety of art including photography, painting, sculpture and music but am not much of a fan of installation pieces most of the time although I've seen some work that took my breath. Different things can move me in a piece whether it's the colours in a painting, the way that the has captured the musculature of the figure or even an interestingly placed major seventh chord in a piece of music, The Starry Night ties a few of these things together - the colour and motion in the painting and the song Vincent by Don McLean, of course, begins with the words "Starry, starry night ..."

As to how the fit relates to the painting - I've chosen items with colours that reflect the painting. The pocket square represents the moon and stars while the shades of blue in the tie and suit together with the white shirt are implying the colours of the night sky. We often talk about the black night but more often that not, it's actually a dark blue. The brown shoes are meant to represent the trunk of the cypress tree in the left of the painting and this makes sense to me since our feet support us like the trunk supports the branches.

My inspiration is a Novel from Joseph Conrad (I hope that a story could qualified):

And my interpretation from monday :

So Why this story :

I've always been fascinated by Africa and this novel is probably one of the best story which take action in Africa. When i was younger i spend 4 summers in the ranch of one member of my family, it's in South Africa. And i've always enjoy to be there, into the wild, the savannah, all the animals, riding horse in the nature, just you, the horse and the wild. I have also done a big trip just with my family and some friends of my father with a 4X4 during 3 month in Algeria, Niger and Mali, Burkina faso. I'm sad, because nowadays it's just not possible anymore to do that due to the political and religious conflict. Well i love Africa ! I know much more the desert than the forest in Africa. Heart of Darkness is much more situated in forest, but the spirit is there. My grandfather was in the Merchant Navy and have lived in Indochine and in Algeria. In the short story of Joseph Conrad, the principal character work for the Merchant Navy.

The outfit :

The suit is beige like the desert, it can also remind the Uniform of colonial force in Africa. The tie could also remind that. The pale blue shirt is the sky which is very pure in Africa. And the Ghillie's could represent the crazyness of Kurtz in the story and also the period when the story take place (beginning of the 20the century).

Me and Art :

I love different art (Pictures, Painting, Writing, Cinema etc...), i'm not a big fan of modern art which is often to conceptual for me, it's just didn't touch me. But i think the art which touch me the most is the litterature, i can really feel something when i read a great book.

Excuse my english, it's not my first language and i write it maybe a bit too fast.
It's impossible to where my real Saharienne etc... since i can't wear them in the city, it's only for the Djebel
biggrin.gif

van Gogh // van Greg

0.jpg

From a current exhibition at the MoMA in NY.
Ok, in Technicolor:

The Englishman

Introducing......... Mrs Vader!!!! in "Modern Times".

Inspired by a hero of mine, Charlie Chaplin. in his 1936 Masterpiece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Times_(film)

van Gogh:

van Ac:

Admired painters:

Far too many to list, from anonymous medieval through Vermeer, Cezanne, Klimt, Kandinsky (especially middle period) ...

I did not plan to enter this week's FC, but then I remembered an outfit from a while ago that struck me as looking like the famous "The Scream" paint from Edvard Munch.

I love this masterpiece because it resonates in my memories with a fantastic novel I read when I was a teenager named "ORANGE IS FOR ANGUISH, BLUE FOR INSANITY", which pitch was:

A young artist becomes fixated to a 19th century impressionist named Van Dorn, who, despite being a genius in his time, was bypassed and unrecognized. Van Dorn’s frustration eventually shakes his sanity and by gouging his eyes, he met death.
The artist, in an attempt to comprehend Van Dorn’s genius and insanity, tried to relive the impressionist’s life; immersed in his paintings, stayed at the same inn, ate at the same diner, and visited the exact location of the infamous painting that drove him mad.
In the end, his obsession caused him his own sanity; for those who try to uncover the secret of Van Dorn is doomed to a gruesome end.

And now, let's make SF Scream at sartorial Insanity:

I think Thrifty has this one in the bag, but despite that...

^ Portrait of Paul Tortelier, by June Mendoza

What is amazing about Mendoza's painting is how accurately she was able to depict Tortelier's playing position.

I had to change my stance a bit to get that look. Tortelier has a high right shoulder, which is typical of the French school of playing. I've spent my whole cellistic life trying to keep my right shoulder relaxed, allowing the weight of the arm to provide power for the bow rather than by using muscular force. This is more typical of the Russian way of playing - I learnt from the school of Russian cellist Boris Pergamenschikow.

Men in Black

I'll admit that this challenge was inspired by my recent visit to the Hokusai exhibit. Pocket square is from Kent Wang. This could have probably been used for the "Uniform" and Claghorn challenge as well:

Inspiration:

Outfit:

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lurk:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooohhhhhhhh I like these.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love it!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love it if someone could successfully do a novel or a piece of music. I know I can't.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspiration:

Execution:

I like a variety of art including photography, painting, sculpture and music but am not much of a fan of installation pieces most of the time although I've seen some work that took my breath. Different things can move me in a piece whether it's the colours in a painting, the way that the has captured the musculature of the figure or even an interestingly placed major seventh chord in a piece of music, The Starry Night ties a few of these things together - the colour and motion in the painting and the song Vincent by Don McLean, of course, begins with the words "Starry, starry night ..."

As to how the fit relates to the painting - I've chosen items with colours that reflect the painting. The pocket square represents the moon and stars while the shades of blue in the tie and suit together with the white shirt are implying the colours of the night sky. We often talk about the black night but more often that not, it's actually a dark blue. The brown shoes are meant to represent the trunk of the cypress tree in the left of the painting and this makes sense to me since our feet support us like the trunk supports the branches.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hoping to nail this one. With one of the biggest Cinema scenes, accurately replicated. Ever on SF.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gerry Nelson , I thought the cypress tree was represented by your beard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads