• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge: Shirt Jackets/Shackets | May 16th Closing

xeoniq

Reaction score
As host for this Friday Challenge, I thought it would be fun to explore ways to style a shirt jacket (or shacket) in a way where the shirt jacket is the prominent piece. I have a few shackets from C.P. Company that I love wearing but they often get used as subtle layering pieces. Since it is warming up in the Northern Hemisphere and just starting to get cooler in the South, I considered that a shacket challenge would allow most people to participate.

What constitutes a shacket? Well I'd say they are mostly all unlined, have shirt-like details but are offered in a material slightly more substantial than a dress shirt, don't have a propper hem or ribbing, and many don't have pockets but some do. That definition probably includes things like denim trucker jackets and I think those do have a place here in this challenge. I've included some inspiration photos from a few brands, some a little more CM and others more streetwear.

equil.jpg
brioni.jpg
uniqloushacket.JPG
mantle.JPG

The only rule is for your outfit to feature a shirt jacket/shacket. I personally think people will vote for looks where the shacket is very prominent in the photo (as per my inspiration), but if you'd rather use it as a layer under heavier outerwear than by all means. The voters will decide what they liked.

I think we will find it quite challenging making a shirt jacket prominent outfit look interesting as the garment type is very simplistic.

Entries close May 16th Australian time (so Sunday night on the 15th or there abouts in the US).

Submit as many entries as you like, I will make an entry for each of them in the voting poll. The poster with the entry that had the most votes gets to host the next challenge.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a late-1960s/early-1970s shirt jacket look sported by the late great jazz pianist Andrew Hill.
0967D1A2-EDA6-4011-A6C2-A4BFED9F8182.jpeg

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shacket, but I also like what seems to be a kilim rug in the store.

Thanks! And it is a giant kilim in a store I love that I haven’t been to in ages. It must be something like 12ft x 8ft at least.

xeoniq

Reaction score
Damn, lots of entries already. Good effort everyone. Liking how clean Stevan, and Teeo's fits are. I wore one of my favourite C.P. Company shackets today, layered under a vest. They work well when the weather is being chaotic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads