• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone get mocked for over-dressing at work?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I posted after, why is it the case that nobody usually dresses that way and has to submit to the culture of the workplace? On my first day, as with other poster's experiences, I had a tie on and was told that I didn't have to wear one (pre-Styleforum days). I abided at the time, but my knowledge and tastes have changed since then.

You're right in that it was out of the ordinary for me to dress like that, however, why do others feel the need to create a "ceiling", so to say, for how people should dress, and then mock/chide them whenever they try to go above that "ceiling"?

Btw more clarification, jeans are rarely worn, more trousers and button down shirts. I'll add this to the original post.
Yep...like I said...a self-serving rationalization. I had THIS ^^^ very type of response in mind while I was typing my post. Damn, you're predictable.

If the office was filled with ties (by choice, not by requirement), and someone showed up wearing jeans and a graphic tshirt, you'd have started a thread about that dumb@ss guy who didn't get it, but since it's you who's on the outside, you spin it to make it seem like everyone else has it wrong and shouldn't "create a ceiling."

Scottyb06

Reaction score
I actually wouldn't recommend wearing a suit in your environment because it seems too many 'levels up' from where everyone else is currently at. The reality is that, at least in many jobs, teamwork and partnering with others is important. As well, many people in the workplace pay attention to things other than your actual competence or ability to partnership. If others perceive you as being 'snobby' there are certain people who will hold on that stigma, including those in higher level positions. My rule of thumb has been to dress one step up and no higher. In my situation, I dress a bit more casually in summer because I'm a bit of a bigger guy and can't take hot weather (nice khakis, button down shirt, and nice Allen Edmonds shoes with a nice matching belt). But, in the fall and winter months I wear a lot of flannel or wool pants and OCBDs with merino wool sweaters. At times I will sometimes wear a tie and/or jacket to go with it (love my camelhair jacket!). While I do get many compliments, I also get a roughly equal amount of, "Dude - why are you wearing a tie? We all know you - who are you trying to impress?". I can't imagine wearing a suit in my environment.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Context: I'm a junior-level employee at a government office where it is EXTREMELY casual. Hardly anyone ever puts any effort into how they look. Those that do, wear dress pants and a shirt. While I typically abide by this silly idea, I, on the other hand, enjoy dressing up, in a suit and tie.

OJFC, just get over yourself and wear slacks and a shirt. Maybe an odd jacket every once and awhile.

You said it yourself: you're a junior level employee working in a very casual office.

If you want to wear a suit everyday, go find a different line of work/more formal office (law, banking, etc.)

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
There is an old adage which should be remembered in these circumstances;

"Dress for the job you want to have, not for the job you already have."

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
OJFC, just get over yourself and wear slacks and a shirt. Maybe an odd jacket every once and awhile.

You said it yourself: you're a junior level employee working in a very casual office.

If you want to wear a suit everyday, go find a different line of work/more formal office (law, banking, etc.)

Thanks for the advice, that is what I currently am trying to do; fingers crossed!

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score

Read my mind
fing02[1].gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This rule doesn't apply in an office where there is a very low standard of business dress, and people who wear suits are mocked.

OP should be aiming for one notch above the average: well-ironed slacks and a shirt, and nice shoes.

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
First off, I appreciate the posts. At first, it was more me venting about the matter. Like I said, I do see both sides of the matter and do appreciate the other, but don't necessarily agree in all aspects.

I'd like to continue with this discourse, it's quite fun, but can we try to keep it more civil?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go full tibor. boom. problem solved.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't recommend either of these responses in a government office.

I'm actually very apolitical but if a government of a country actually incurred my wrath I assure you they would be very, very sorry they did, in very short order. ;)

Last edited:

allegrokev

Reaction score
The office where I work has a very relaxed dress code. I do wear a suit and tie every day. The only people who think I am uptight or snooty are the ones who haven't even taken the time to talk to me properly, despite efforts on my part to initiate conversation to get to know each other. Sorry - who is supposedly uptight and snooty? Anyone who has taken the time has been pleasantly surprised by the fact that I am actually 100% approachable and down to earth.

So, dress however the hell you want; how other people react will say a lot more about them than the way you dress does about you.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit and tie is the standard in my office. No negative comments from colleagues at all - I was only asked twice who my tailor is.

jt10000

Reaction score
As I posted after, why is it the case that nobody usually dresses that way and has to submit to the culture of the workplace? On my first day, as with other poster's experiences, I had a tie on and was told that I didn't have to wear one (pre-Styleforum days). I abided at the time, but my knowledge and tastes have changed since then.

You're right in that it was out of the ordinary for me to dress like that, however, why do others feel the need to create a "ceiling", so to say, for how people should dress, and then mock/chide them whenever they try to go above that "ceiling"?

Btw more clarification, jeans are rarely worn, more trousers and button down shirts. I'll add this to the original post.

Culture is shared beliefs and actions. If you don't mind being outside the culture, or can handle it, then do so. If it bothers you that you are outside, then don't be outside. Or go to the edge of the culture - dressing slightly nicer but not totally differently.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see debates like these I'm thankful that I'm a creative and can get away with eccentricity because it's expected.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

I don't recommend either of these responses in a government office.

C'mon it's harder to get fired in government jobs than the private sector.

I once worked with a guy that showed up every day just reeking of booze. If he had been on the elevator before you, you would know it. He nearly got into an altercation with a female coworker. He made disparaging remarks about our Director in a conference room full of colleagues. He began to sleep in his car for hours at a time, before taking the further step of going home to sleep while on the clock. He called our boss a nazi for phoning him at home to see if he was ok and coming back to work. He made inappropriate comments to summer students. He once pulled a bag of pretzels out of the garbage so that he could eat the salt. Another time, he was so messed up that he hit the dirt when a loud truck went by, out of fear it was a terrorist attack. IN CANADA. I could write a book about this guy and never run out of material. Despite all of this (and so much more), even the fact that his position was completely obsolete did not get him fired. No, when he finally left the building, it was his choice.....because he was "sick of this ****".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics