• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone get mocked for over-dressing at work?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get mocked for dressing nice to school. And I went to a "preppy" high school, where everyone was dressed in shirts, chinos and leather shoes (not school uniform), but the fit was terrible and they didn't know how to combine clothes and fabrics.
The funny thing is that I don't come from a rich family, and that's why they mock me. Everyone else is children of billionaires and millionaires, and therefor is it for granted that they dress nice. They laughed me at because I didn't wear Polo Ralph Lauren, which I don't like, but instead I wore quality brands and MTM clothes.

Last edited:

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Popular opinions thus far:

• Wear whatever you want and deal with what people think.
  • Take it down a notch; Odd jacket, no tie.
  • Stay within the approved work culture.

I see how a suit and tie can be perceived as over-the-top and would even be willing to drop the tie or try an odd jacket (need to purchase one first).

I was really looking forward to Samuelsohn's trunk sale at Harry Rosen. I was thinking of getting a 2pc, maybe 3 (would never wear that to work, someone might have a heart attack), but now am questioning if I should.

What would you do in this situation?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see how a suit and tie can be perceived as over-the-top and would even be willing to drop the tie or try an odd jacket (need to purchase one first).

I was really looking forward to Samuelsohn's trunk sale at Harry Rosen. I was thinking of getting a 2pc, maybe 3 (would never wear that to work, someone might have a heart attack), but now am questioning if I should.

Go to the trunk show and buy some sport coats?

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
Context: I'm a junior-level employee at a government office where it is EXTREMELY casual. Hardly anyone ever puts any effort into how they look. Those that do, wear dress pants and a shirt. While I typically abide by this silly idea, I, on the other hand, enjoy dressing up, in a suit and tie.

I chose to do this today. Consequently, in a way, I was mocked for taking pride in wanting to look nice. I had to make an excuse for dressing up instead of just being able to look good.

Has this ever happened to you?

Could it be me over thinking things, and actually in the wrong for going "out of the norm"?

Edit: Btw more clarification, jeans are rarely worn, more trousers and button down shirts in the workplace.

Ha! Almost everyone practically dresses like a bum where I work. I started wearing second hand tweed sport coats with jeans/nice shoes and people thought I was "overdressing".
lol8[1].gif

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of becoming successful in an office situation is understanding the culture. What works for one situation does not work for another. The advice to stay within the general level of formality is good advice - especially when you are a junior employee. It is also important to recognize that the culture in a given area may be very different than another. The style of shirt/socks you might wear in business-casual in LA may be very different than what people consider acceptable in Arkansas. And the culture in that local can often dictate how receptive people are to those differences.

So, even within the same spectrum of formality, you have to understand how well the culture in your office/geography is receptive to different styles.

Now, having said all of the above, not everyone's opinion matters the same. It's the opinions of the movers and shakers in your office that matter most when you're going to push the envelope on style.

For example - my office is business casual. When you wear a suit you stick out like a sore thumb if you're not an executive. If you're below senior level management you will be mocked. It's just the way it is. 15 years ago when it was business attire, things were different. Now, you can choose to wear nice fitted shirts of high quality and quality dress shoes - but if you sport some wild colors (one employee used to) you push a bit too far outside the comfort zone of many people. For example there was a post in a thread here where someone was sporting some pretty wild socks with their AE shoes - that type of a style statement hear will probably get quite a few chuckles. But nice chinos, fitted shirt, quality shoes and matching belt probably gets you compliments.

At some point you have to determine what is more important to you - career success or individuality. You can be stylish while still conforming to the norms within your office. But when your personal style goes further and further outside the norms you risk hurting your career success.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many suits do you currently own? In all honesty, it sounds like you really have no reason ever to wear a suit to work. Based on this, assume your suits will get worn to weddings, dressy social functions, charity events and the like. Once you have a solid navy and a solid grey suit, you really don't need anymore (unless you have been sucked into the SF vortex). Well fitting trousers and shirts should be your priority right now with perhaps the occasional odd jacket. I suspect odd jackets will be more useful to you now than suits, so maybe pick up a couple of odd jackets at the trunk show assuming you have at least one suit that you like for the times you really need one.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Consequently, I was mocked for taking pride in wanting to look nice. I had to make an excuse for dressing up instead of just being able to look good. Has this ever happened to you?

Never been mocked, but people often assume I'm gay. I take that as a compliment.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never been mocked, but people often assume I'm gay. I take that as a compliment.

Never been mocked either, but I have gotten the following comments:

1. "You look like Tom Ford" (in reality I look absolutely nothing like Tom Ford).

2. "You look like James Bond" (Always a good compliment)

3. "You look like a London banker" (ditto from above)

4. "You look like Tom Cruise in The Firm" (I guess ditto as well). I don't really recall how well he dressed in that movie.

I probably wouldn't receive these comments if I worked in a more buttoned-up industry. Because most of the people in my line of work dress casually, I tend to stand out more for wearing nice clothes, and hence receive comments like the ones above.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who cares what people think? It's not like you'll get fired for dressing well.

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
How many suits do you currently own? In all honesty, it sounds like you really have no reason ever to wear a suit to work. Based on this, assume your suits will get worn to weddings, dressy social functions, charity events and the like. Once you have a solid navy and a solid grey suit, you really don't need anymore (unless you have been sucked into the SF vortex). Well fitting trousers and shirts should be your priority right now with perhaps the occasional odd jacket. I suspect odd jackets will be more useful to you now than suits, so maybe pick up a couple of odd jackets at the trunk show assuming you have at least one suit that you like for the times you really need one.

Two: one I like and the other, not so much. You're right that I don't really need to wear a suit to work. The only reason I do, or would, is because I like to.

Good advice overall and stuff that I will consider!

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Who cares what people think? It's not like you'll get fired for dressing well.

Imagine?

Interviewer: So why did you leave your last job?

Me (donning a 3 piece **** me suit with peaked lapels, ticket pocket and a ****-eating grin): No particular reason
biggrin.gif

Hetzen

Reaction score
Imagine?

Interviewer: So why did you leave your last job?

Me (donning a 3 piece **** me suit with peaked lapels, ticket pocket and a ****-eating grin): No particular reason
biggrin.gif

I don't even know what to say....

You have absolutely no sense of style. Wearing a suit where it doesn't belong or thinking wearing ^ that one to an interview is appropriate. You might as well wear it to go fishing because it looks "nice" and you "want to", then make a thread about getting mocked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads