1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone get mocked for over-dressing at work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NeedStyleHelp, Jul 24, 2013.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

The underlined is my point, so I agree completely [​IMG]. The problem is that the people who regularly quote that adage DON'T have much awareness and are just quoting it to justify overdressing. Using the adage as a guide is fine, but when you have to use it as an excuse, you've gone too far. Someone with social awareness and grace would realize that he was overdressed and adjust.

2 people like this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

:cheers:

3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

Indeed, my higher-ups wear polo shirts in the summer and bad sweaters in the winter. It seems like it's almost a badge on honor to be able to dress down these days.

4. johng70

johng70 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's a realization that wearing suits has no correlation to job performance in many instances. There are definitely instances where formality of dress is important to job performance but not a lot. So, in most jobs whether the person is wearing a suit or polo really has little bearing on job performance. So, people decide that spending $50 on a polo shirt and $70 on a pair of dockers is better than $600 on a suit, $120 on a tie and $110 on a dress shirt.

The truth is - even when suits were common place it didn't mean anything. You had people wearing natty old suits with bad ties and thread-bare dress shirts because their personal budget didn't allow for them to spend $500 a month on their attire.

5. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

6. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

It seems nowadays that by dressing half-way decently, you're rebelling almost.

In the 50's, wearing a t-shirt and jeans was a shock to almost everyone.

I once wore a cardigan, ocbd, Frye harness boots and dark 501's to class. Everyone said i looked nice.

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

God, you're such a douche.

8. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

9. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

This is actually a decent point - now that a recent re-org has made my entire management chain female dressing more sharply is certainly derided less, they are all impeccable dressers.

The point about having others follow is good too - I know since I upped my game some of the other senior guys are more comfortable doing it too.

And some are still in flip flops and cargo shorts [​IMG].

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

Girls gossip behind each others' backs about that type of thing. Guys do the same thing, but they bro' it up by half-jokingly criticizing each other.

11. lwmarti

lwmarti Well-Known Member

But I try to hide it. Sometimes.

12. Tomboys

Tomboys Well-Known Member

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to: Does anyone get mocked for over-dressing at work?.

To OP,

I commend you for wearing a suit. Given today's social/business environment, it's becoming somewhat of a lost "art". Hopefully, that trend will reverse someday. I won't belabor the point because it's been discussed ad nauseam. I will simply suggest that you channel that desire/energy into building a business wardrobe that is less formal. You'll still look nice, but you'll also be more congruent with your current business setting.

13. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Well-Known Member

Fair argument. Better?

14. Televangelist

Televangelist Member

Sorry, but you do realize this one makes you sound like a massive tool, right?

1 person likes this.
  15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

^ Not even a little bit.

16. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

Actually, maybe not that much - he's limiting the comment to ironing rather than dissing that guy in general. Generalizing from clothes to the value of the person as a whole would be douchey.

17. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the point. He didn't dress particularly badly, in fact (especially compared to one of the other guys on the systems team). But... never ironed.

But you know, the guy was from systems. He doesn't have to talk to anyone outside of systems, and the server doesn't care how he's dressed.

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I'll dress head-to-toe formal one day to work, and jeans-and-tshirt the next.

I think if you at least represent both ends of the spectrum once in awhile, it helps avoid coming off as a megalomaniac.

Ultimately, though, your personality is what matters IMO; whether you're a good dude or a prick, you're going to be held to that whether you wear sweat pants and crocs or a suit.

19. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

I actually had a boss tell the staff to come in "formal dress" once.

We were this close to turning up in morning dress for the day when we found out that the new owner would be taking a tour and thought better of it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  20. Tomboys

Tomboys Well-Known Member

Actually, that would've been pretty cool. Then, when the owner asks for your name(s), everybody would reply, "Bond, James Bond."