• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pastor

Reaction score

I can relate to that. My carmina navy Shell looks much crappier then my cognac Shell looks when used in the same weather.

Maybe it was just a certain batch of navy shell? I'm not complaining because I love the shoes and when polished they look awesome. Mine were a MTO and cost around $800 USD (it was before the MTO increase). I can't touch Edward Green navy shell for anywhere near that price point.

Pastor

Reaction score

Okay - fair enough - we wear them differently.  I don't wear any shoe for two days in a row, much less multiple days, and generally don't select shell for sloppy weather.  All of my shell shoes - Carmina, Alden and AE - require immediate after-wear attention when worn in wet or snowy conditions - very unattractive waxy spotting is the rule.  It's not a problem that a quick application of Saphir Cordovan Cream doesn't solve, but I find I just more often go with calf or suede when the weather is bad.

I'm with you on all of those points. Travel is the exception for me as I like to use only carry-ons and I usually limit myself to one pair of shoes. I like the Carminas because they are slip-ons and work well in the airport. They also look nice with either suits or business casual attire. If any shoes get wet because of rain I usually use Saphir after they have dried a little.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By hard wear I mean wearing them out in foul weather or wearing them for multiple days in a row. I try to avoid both of those scenarios with all of my shoes but sometimes it's unavoidable. I travel to teach a college residency every year and I usually only take one pair of shoes with me. This past year I took the blue carminas and they looked a lot like NAMOR's at the end of the week. I don't think my Allen Edmonds or Alden shells would have looked that bad. Also, if then get wet, forget it, they look terrible. They shine up good and I'm still happy with them and I'll continue to buy Carminas in the future. My other Carmina shell shoes do not require as much maintenance.

Yes, I have found the same on my navy.

I think it is both a matter of luck on your specific shell and the water type in your area.

I found my #8 Aldens to not really spot at all. Just need very quick brushing afterwards. 30 min + process to despot Carminas initially.

Rain unfortunately can't be avoided in London/Boston, as it just seems to occur somewhat randomly during the day. NYC seems to actually pick days when it rains, so I just don't wear shell on those days.

agedashidofu

Reaction score
I'm now really itching to get navy shell. They look completely appropriate for business wear (I initially thought they would look more striking blue)

Styleforum is really dangerous!!!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now really itching to get navy shell. They look completely appropriate for business wear (I initially thought they would look more striking blue)

Styleforum is really dangerous!!!

Completely appropriate for business wear. I find in most indoor lighting they look close to black. Nobody does a double take when I wear mine at the office. Indoor pic with flash:

Indoor pic with flash:
orig.jpg
Outdoor pic in natural sunlight:
orig.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Completely appropriate for business wear.  I find in most indoor lighting they look close to black.  Nobody does a double take when I wear mine at the office.  Indoor pic with flash:

Indoor pic with flash:
orig.jpg
Outdoor pic in natural sunlight:
orig.jpg

youre pure class, RogerP. great look, always

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I bought my Carmina MTO navy shell single monk after seeing your boots. The navy shell on my looks the same as yours after some hard wear. These Carminas are difficult to maintain a good shine. They look good when polished but it's work keeping them up.

Did you wear them through rough conditions to get them to that 'before' state? Or is that just bloom?

i think i wore these last in June for a wedding. wore them with a tux for an outdoor wedding. so lots of dust, lots of liquid, etc

and yeah navy is def versatile. they will lighten over time but when they become dry, (mine get dry but not as much as burgundy wingtip boot), apply navy saphir shoe cream and they soak up the color and are good for several weeks of easy wear.

edit - just found the pic from last year:

http://yolowastaken.tumblr.com/post/52694191926/navy-boots-with-a-navy-tuxedo-carmina-navy-shell

Nullson

Reaction score
Anyone interested in joining a MTO for Carmina tanker boots in Navy shell cordovan on rain last?

Below are the pictures of the design I have in mind.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a comparison thread on Carmina Shells vs Alden Shells and Allen Edmond Shells?

I think most people would agree that Carmina produces superior calf leather shoes over AE calf shoes and at the very least, on par with Alden calf shoes. However, Alden is the undisputed King when it comes to producing the different varieties of shell offerings. Disregarding price, which shoemaker produces the better shell product for end users? I would like to hear from people who has owned a combination of Carmina and either AE or Alden.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a comparison thread on Carmina Shells vs Alden Shells and Allen Edmond Shells?

I think most people would agree that Carmina produces superior calf leather shoes over AE calf shoes and at the very least, on par with Alden calf shoes. However, Alden is the undisputed King when it comes to producing the different varieties of shell offerings. Disregarding price, which shoemaker produces the better shell product for end users? I would like to hear from people who has owned a combination of Carmina and either AE or Alden.

I own examples from all three.

Alden undisputed King.... says who? First of all, just trying to get any shell from them that's not black or colour 8 is like wishing upon a star. Carmina is surely king when it comes to variety of colour. Ruby, loden, navy, saddle, cognac - blows Alden deep into the weeds for actual availability of actual shoes. And the variety of styles available in shell is also unsurpassed.

Since all three source their shell from Horween, I doubt there's much of an argument as to which is the best quality of shell. When it comes to the style of the shoes, however, I vastly prefer Carmina across the board to Alden or AE.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own examples from all three.

Alden undisputed King.... says who? First of all, just trying to get any shell from them that's not black or colour 8 is like wishing upon a star. Carmina is surely king when it comes to variety of colour. Ruby, loden, navy, saddle, cognac - blows Alden deep into the weeds for actual availability of actual shoes. And the variety of styles available in shell is also unsurpassed.

Since all three source their shell from Horween, I doubt there's much of an argument as to which is the best quality of shell. When it comes to the style of the shoes, however, I vastly prefer Carmina across the board to Alden or AE.
Thanks. What about in terms of construction among all three shoemakers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads