• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shell is much worse now than a few decades ago. He blamed this primarily on horses being bred up too quickly these days.

I proposed this explanation in the Alden thread about 2 years ago, and it was scoffed at. I've come to realize that not everyone that appreciates nice shoes can understands elementary concepts of business, economics and manufacturing.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy shell bal boot. Shell is nice and thick

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks guys. boots are on the robert last. mto from carmina directly before the mto surcharge increased

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i kind of forgot i had them so when I pulled them out today i remembered why they havent been worn for 8 months:

after a little procedure of wipe, apply cream, apply venetian, bone, brush, wipe and voila:

what i used

Last edited:

Pastor

Reaction score

i kind of forgot i had them so when I pulled them out today i remembered why they havent been worn for 8 months:

after a little procedure of wipe, apply cream, apply venetian, bone, brush, wipe and voila:

I bought my Carmina MTO navy shell single monk after seeing your boots. The navy shell on my looks the same as yours after some hard wear. These Carminas are difficult to maintain a good shine. They look good when polished but it's work keeping them up.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you wear them through rough conditions to get them to that 'before' state? Or is that just bloom?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Carmina MTO navy shell single monk after seeing your boots. The navy shell on my looks the same as yours after some hard wear. These Carminas are difficult to maintain a good shine. They look good when polished but it's work keeping them up.

That hasn't been the case with my navy shell wholecuts - they have been almost maintenance-free, take a nice shine and have never had that flat / chalky / waxy look.

But then I wouldn't call wearing them to / at / from the office "hard wear". I haven't really ever understood the application of that term to a dress shoe. What is the nature of the hard wear that your single monks have been subjected to?

namor - love the before / after shots.

Last edited:

Pastor

Reaction score

Did you wear them through rough conditions to get them to that 'before' state? Or is that just bloom?

That hasn't been the case with my navy shell wholecuts - they have been almost maintenance-free, take a nice shine and have never had that flat / chalky / waxy look.

But then I wouldn't call wearing them to / at / from the office "hard wear".  I haven't really ever understood the application of that term to a dress shoe.  What is the nature of the hard wear that your single monks have been subjected to?

namor - love the before / after shots.

By hard wear I mean wearing them out in foul weather or wearing them for multiple days in a row. I try to avoid both of those scenarios with all of my shoes but sometimes it's unavoidable. I travel to teach a college residency every year and I usually only take one pair of shoes with me. This past year I took the blue carminas and they looked a lot like NAMOR's at the end of the week. I don't think my Allen Edmonds or Alden shells would have looked that bad. Also, if then get wet, forget it, they look terrible. They shine up good and I'm still happy with them and I'll continue to buy Carminas in the future. My other Carmina shell shoes do not require as much maintenance.

greverif

Reaction score

By hard wear I mean wearing them out in foul weather or wearing them for multiple days in a row. I try to avoid both of those scenarios with all of my shoes but sometimes it's unavoidable. I travel to teach a college residency every year and I usually only take one pair of shoes with me. This past year I took the blue carminas and they looked a lot like NAMOR's at the end of the week. I don't think my Allen Edmonds or Alden shells would have looked that bad. Also, if then get wet, forget it, they look terrible. They shine up good and I'm still happy with them and I'll continue to buy Carminas in the future. My other Carmina shell shoes do not require as much maintenance.

I can relate to that. My carmina navy Shell looks much crappier then my cognac Shell looks when used in the same weather.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay - fair enough - we wear them differently. I don't wear any shoe for two days in a row, much less multiple days, and generally don't select shell for sloppy weather. All of my shell shoes - Carmina, Alden and AE - require immediate after-wear attention when worn in wet or snowy conditions - very unattractive waxy spotting is the rule. It's not a problem that a quick application of Saphir Cordovan Cream doesn't solve, but I find I just more often go with calf or suede when the weather is bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads