• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
As long as those Chippewas are US made, I'm all in for black ones.. May pick up a pair of regulr Katahdins as well.

My collection of boots is growing weekly.. Ehh, at least I have a bike and live in a place with ****** winters to justify owning them..

They are making those in Black ? I'm all in!. I prefer the cap-toe's and I've used them all winter..snow,ice,sleet and have had no problems. I ******* love these things...

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my Katahdins in today! They're a little warmer in hue than I had expected, and I can confirm that they are pre-oiled and darker than in the pictures on the website. They're nowhere near as light as the pictures posted in the beginning of the thread, though I imagine when the oils dry out they will be similar. Not as rugged looking as I had thought, but some wear and tear should change that. They also fit true to size (measured foot size and shoe size are the same) in both width and length. Quality is great, I can see this boot taking a beating for a very long time. Hope that helps anyone else interested in these boots!

By the way, and it's a stupid question, but I'm so used to wearing black boots I'm really not sure what these go with. All colors of denim (raw, light faded, dark rinse, etc.)? Charcoal, navy, or black trousers? Khaki trousers? Anything to avoid? Help is appreciated!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changed
yeah, I'd agree they aren't great in snow/ice. then again, is somebody that posts on SF really going to be doing strenuous activities on snow and ice anyway? :]

I have been considering a commando sole when I eventually send them in for resoling. My only hesitation is that commando soles are usually black...

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I have been considering a commando sole when I eventually send them in for resoling. My only hesitation is that commando soles are usually black...
I was also, since I only wear them in winter. I think the black will look ok.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
I got my Katahdins in today! They're a little warmer in hue than I had expected, and I can confirm that they are pre-oiled and darker than in the pictures on the website. They're nowhere near as light as the pictures posted in the beginning of the thread, though I imagine when the oils dry out they will be similar. Not as rugged looking as I had thought, but some wear and tear should change that. They also fit true to size (measured foot size and shoe size are the same) in both width and length. Quality is great, I can see this boot taking a beating for a very long time. Hope that helps anyone else interested in these boots!

By the way, and it's a stupid question, but I'm so used to wearing black boots I'm really not sure what these go with. All colors of denim (raw, light faded, dark rinse, etc.)? Charcoal, navy, or black trousers? Khaki trousers? Anything to avoid? Help is appreciated!

Brown shoes/boots are much more versatile than black.

But never wear black trousers with brown shoes.

akmateo

Reaction score
Noob here. I have been wanting a pair of Katahdin boots for some time. When I googled, them, I was directed to this forum. I ordered a pair of the waterproof version yesterday from LL Bean, and am contemplating a 2nd pair of the non water proof variety to rotate. Amazon has a pair of Chippewa "Rugged" boots that look like the Katahdin boots, but they have a kiltie, Vibram Gumlite soles, and no cap toe. Just wondering if anyone has these, and how the Gumlite soles wear as compared to the Katahdin Vibram soles? They are $139.00 with free shipping. Thanks. Edit: I have been so impressed with my waterproof Katahdin's, that I ordered a pair of the non waterproof version. The waterproof boot have a "Chip-A-Tex" (similar to Gore-tex?) lining, a padded tongue and collar, and were super comfy right out of the box. Applied 2 coats of Sno-seal and they look great. For those of you considering them, they should make fine winter boots. http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-20065...3681049&sr=1-4

akmateo

Reaction score
My Katahdin waterproof boots arrived today. In a word, they are awesome. Top quality, and comfortable right out of the box. Having been a Timberland classic boot wearer for the past several years, I can easily say that these will be my new go to boot. I will post some pics in a few weeks when they have some wear on them. Still debating between the standard Katahdin and the above mentioned boot found on Amazon. Hopefully, someone can provide some feedback on them soon.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have more info on when the Chippewa branded Katahdins are going to drop on Zappos ? Specifically in black.

akmateo

Reaction score
I emailed Zappos customer service and inquired about the new boot. Here is the response I received :

"Thank you for contacting the Zappos.com Customer Loyalty Team.

I am so sorry for any confusion regarding new styles of the Chippewa boots on our site.

We get new items in all the time. Regretfully, we do not have exact dates as to when items will be received.

Great news! We have a new styles notify list for individual brands located right on the landing page of each brand. Here is how you can sign up:

1. Click on "Brands" at the top of our webpage to see a list of all the brands that we carry. Once there, click on the desired brand.

2. Once on the brand's landing page, scroll towards the bottom of the page. You should see a yellow box that has a blank text field. This is where you enter your email address.

3. Once signed up, you will receive automatic updates everytime we receive new styles in that brand!

The only thing you must keep in mind is that being on the list does not hold any merchandise for you. Everything on our website is still on a first come, first served basis.

If you need any assistance with this at all, please let us know. Have a wonderful day!"

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those new black ones are going to be pretty dope when they finally drop.

and BTW I have a brand new pair of Katahdins for sale in my sig if anybody is interested.

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
As long as those Chippewas are US made, I'm all in for black ones.. May pick up a pair of regulr Katahdins as well.

My collection of boots is growing weekly.. Ehh, at least I have a bike and live in a place with ****** winters to justify owning them..

Originally Posted by hboogz
They are making those in Black ? I'm all in!. I prefer the cap-toe's and I've used them all winter..snow,ice,sleet and have had no problems. I ******* love these things...

Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
I was also, since I only wear them in winter. I think the black will look ok.

Originally Posted by hboogz
Anyone have more info on when the Chippewa branded Katahdins are going to drop on Zappos ? Specifically in black.

Originally Posted by dmash1080
Those new black ones are going to be pretty dope when they finally drop.

and BTW I have a brand new pair of Katahdins for sale in my sig if anybody is interested.

Where is everyone geyying the idea that these are coming out in black as well? Am I just completely missing something, or did one person make a comment, and everyone else is took it as if they actually were coming out in black? Black would be great, but I am not seeing it.

akmateo

Reaction score
I don't know where the rumors about a new Chippewa black boot at Zappos started. The one that I have been reading about is this one. Maybe it will available in black...

Ossington

Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking at the LL Bean Kats and the plain toe Chippewas, both look good. We get hard winters where I live so, none of these would be used in the ice/snow that doesn't seem to be moved very quickly in my area. Do you guys like the Kats/Chips or these others ones I saw from William Lennon in the UK better? With Shipping and the pound being in the toilet, they come out to be about the same price.

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footw...war-boots.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads