1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jmillz15

jmillz15 Member

Hello everyone, I received my Iron Works boots this past week. I've worn them a total of 3 times, and was wondering if anyone else could comment on their boots and how they've broken in ? I find that the upper collar is very stiff, this should soften up over time I imagine ?

A short side review: These boots seem to be very well constructed, and no doubt should last a long time. Last year I was deciding between these and Frye Brando Laceups, and went with the Fryes. If I were to do it again, I would pass on the Fryes and get the Katahdins...for the extra hundred over the Katahdins, you would expect some huge leap in quality, but there isn't thus far. I would highly recommend these boots to anyone looking for classically styled, sturdy work boots.

2. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

The collar was stiff for the first wear but fine after that. I had no break in issues but I've never had problems with blisters, etc. so my experience might not be the best guide. I did, however, find the sole to be stiff for a while.

I agree with your view of these boots. They seem to be one of the best values in terms of quality out there. I can't imagine they're making much money off these. It's probably for nostalgic reasons that they keep it in the catalogue at such a low price. If they had this boot in a smooth leather without the toe cap, I wouldn't ever need to buy another boot.

... and cue the special flower remarks

3. riraito

riraito Well-Known Member

I bled from my ankles the first couple of wears.. now they're broken in and feel great

4. drewdub

drewdub Active Member

Mine broke in pretty quickly and I echo the sentiments of most others - these are a phenomenal value. I love my boots, they are very comfortable, very well made, and are holding up great after a year of use.

5. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Well-Known Member

6. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

How's the colouring on these? Really beige-ey ala regular workboots or something nicer? I want a pair of practical winter boots, but if they look exactly like workboots, then I may have to pass - I just find Red Wings so damn ugly, I want an alternative.

7. bs3009a

bs3009a Active Member

The boots definitely take a few hard wearings to soften them up. But once they do they are like butter. I think the best thing is to rub them down with some mink oil every couple months. This really softens up the leather, waterproofs them and helps to dampen the dusty coloring. I just hit mine with some Mink Oil and now they have a great color and are awesomely soft.

8. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

TTS or half size down?

Same as dress shoe size.

9. riraito

riraito Well-Known Member

I think the consensus is buy TTS, but I do feel like I could have sized down a half. Still fits well though

10. jmillz15

jmillz15 Member

I think the consensus is buy TTS, but I do feel like I could have sized down a half. Still fits well though

how did everyone else size their boots ? I bought the size 9, and feel like I could almost size down a half size...for reference, i'm a 9 in converse/purcells and topsiders, and an 8 in clarks desert boots...

11. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

how did everyone else size their boots ? I bought the size 9, and feel like I could almost size down a half size...for reference, i'm a 9 in converse/purcells and topsiders, and an 8 in clarks desert boots...

your a 9 in converse, but an 8 in desert boots? that makes NO sense

1 person likes this.
  12. ataru

ataru Well-Known Member

It makes some sense if he just means purcells... kinda strange if he's including chucks as that slash implies.

13. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Well-Known Member

14. jmillz15

jmillz15 Member

It makes some sense if he just means purcells... kinda strange if he's including chucks as that slash implies.

jack purcells to clear things up...

15. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

I'm 8.5 Nike (true size), 8 in Purcells, 7.5 Chucks and wore an 8 in the Katahdin with an insole. They run a little bit bigger than half a size large imo.

16. Threak

Threak Well-Known Member

Mine were only stiff when I was trying them on and the first time I wore them. They only bothered me around the top set of hooks, so now when lacing them I skip from the bottom set of hooks to a loose wrap around to top set, then down to the middle set for the knot. Having the knot lower on mine made them much more comfortable. Or you can just skip the top set of hooks altogether.

17. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

Somebody be a guinea pig and order from here http://www.bootsusa.com/Chippewa%20B...er_styles_.htm $70+shipping for the Katahdins, probably seconds. So cheap I'm tempted to get for rain/snow, wonder if they are the current model or if they are the older model without the vibram soles.

18. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

I love these boots, mine broke in really quickly. Wore them almost every day last winter and they look great. Will be breaking them in even more over this winter [​IMG]

19. MrDrizzle

MrDrizzle Active Member

Somebody be a guinea pig and order from here http://www.bootsusa.com/Chippewa%20B...er_styles_.htm $70+shipping for the Katahdins, probably seconds. So cheap I'm tempted to get for rain/snow, wonder if they are the current model or if they are the older model without the vibram soles.
    Took at look at their Return Policy, where they say:
    BootsUSA sells Blem merchandise. Blem merchandise or BLEMISHED is just that, defective product. Most defects are of cosmetic nature and only reflect surface scratches, leather discoloration's, or slight color differences and therefore, the manufactures could not reasonably ask full price from regular retail outlets. They sell them to us and we resell them at massive discounts. Before Blems leave our warehouse, each boot is inspected manually to assure you that all major defects are pulled from shipments.
    source: http://www.bootsusa.com/Admin pages/return_policy.htm You could always call them to see if they are current models, but if you're just getting them for beating up the cosmetic defects probably aren't a big deal.