• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad haircut :/

Ippo

Reaction score
It looks better now than before, based on that alone I would say your haircut was a success.

Bravo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by markbao
Yeah, that's what I presumed too. I went to Arty's, a Japanese place in San Francisco's Japantown.
Did you bring a reference picture? Or pick a similar hair style from a hair style magazine in the salon?(usually they have a few to let customer to choose from) A high end hair cut is very similar to a besopke. You need to let the stylist know what length you like and how thin you want your hair feel/looks. I ALWAYS , even after 3 years , need to remind my Japanese hair stylist to cut my side buns shorter. Its not that he is not skilled. There are just to many details that can affect the final outcome of a hair cut ( the hair style, face shape, head shape , hardness of the hair, eye level....etc.) You should be in control of how he/she cut your hair. Communicate with them, don't just let them cut away. My hair grows like a caveman. I need a hair cut every 2 months and it took me 5 years to finally find the right salon
ffffuuuu.gif

captoe

Reaction score
seriously a crew cut from a real barber might work on you. it would also save you some cash.

Benzito

Reaction score
Why not try a different look without a cut? Comb it backwards, for example, or try a middle part.

deranged

Reaction score
hey. i think you're using the wax wrong. in your photo, it looks more like gel on your head, it's supposed to be matte, not shiney.
make sure you wash + condition and dry your hair. BLOW DRY THAT **** until there is no more moisture.
put wax on your fingertips and pinch the hair on the top of your head into little spikes. then rough it up a bit to look more natural.
then wax the hair on the side of your head straight down.

i hope that's an okay explanation, it's better if you youtube instructional videos.

good luck my fellow asian man.

BTW. use wax with tons of texture, your hair is too flat on your head. I suggest black gatsby wax.

markbao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bravo
Did you bring a reference picture? Or pick a similar hair style from a hair style magazine in the salon?(usually they have a few to let customer to choose from)

A high end hair cut is very similar to a besopke. You need to let the stylist know what length you like and how thin you want your hair feel/looks.

I ALWAYS , even after 3 years , need to remind my Japanese hair stylist to cut my side buns shorter. Its not that he is not skilled. There are just to many details that can affect the final outcome of a hair cut ( the hair style, face shape, head shape , hardness of the hair, eye level....etc.) You should be in control of how he/she cut your hair. Communicate with them, don't just let them cut away.

My hair grows like a caveman. I need a hair cut every 2 months and it took me 5 years to finally find the right salon
ffffuuuu.gif

Thanks for sharing your experience! Good to know. Yeah, I brought in a reference picture.

markbao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
hey. i think you're using the wax wrong. in your photo, it looks more like gel on your head, it's supposed to be matte, not shiney.
make sure you wash + condition and dry your hair. BLOW DRY THAT **** until there is no more moisture.
put wax on your fingertips and pinch the hair on the top of your head into little spikes. then rough it up a bit to look more natural.
then wax the hair on the side of your head straight down.

i hope that's an okay explanation, it's better if you youtube instructional videos.

good luck my fellow asian man.

BTW. use wax with tons of texture, your hair is too flat on your head. I suggest black gatsby wax.

I might be, yeah -- or the photo sucks. My hair is already incredibly dry and brittle, so blow drying doesn't do much and makes it more difficult to use wax. I don't do that right now, though -- what you mentioned, that is -- so thank you for the tutorial! Will try and report back.

Bravo

Reaction score
Remember to wash your hair with shampoo to remove any grease/ oil /dust then blow dry before applying any wax

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads