• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the Gramercy pictures were better or there were better pictures of the dublin cognac Ridgeway. It is impossible to get a sense of the color with 1) the small poor quality UD pictures, 2) the terrible AE pictures, and 3) how the orange stitching on the Ridgeway impacts the look/color of the cognac. Ugh, I need a new pair of fall shoes and am getting more and more frustrated. I would love any advice - something for business casual that can go with dark denim. Already have Indys, reverse suede wings, strands, desert boots. I'm not sure I like the Cronmoc either....

There are 2 more shoes coming out on Oct. 1 in Dublin leather cognac that I didn't scan because they were Dublin leather. Of course the AE catalog pictures are no better than the AE website:

I have the Elgin and McTavish in Dublin leather although in tan:

Also the Black Hills in Dublin leather, treated with HDLP:

On the left black calf Leeds and on the right shell Leeds, all 3 would work with jeans in BC.

I think the McTavish in Dark brown cognac will be a pretty good looking shoe, but like you said without decent pics hard to tell for sure.

The Bayfield in CXL is a great boot. And the Cascade was a pleasant surprise although it took me a bit to get used to it. Despite the heavy lug soles it dresses up very well especially with jeans.

But the Dundee and Dalton webgems in shell would be at the top of my list.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
The new Cronmok is the most hideous dress boot available, both in name and aesthetics. Puny wing, distressed leather on a bal, etc - just awful.

I'll be the voice of dissent: I like them, but, as stated, they're strictly a casual boot. I plan to pick them up in tan leather in the Rediscover America sale.

ShiroiAkuma

Reaction score
I have a quick question of preference, I own a few pairs of AE's now and I'm looking for another pair in Walnut Calf. I actually ordered the Players from Nordstrom in Walnut (I believe they have the exclusive). I then noticed the McAllisters which look very similar. I understand the differences in the shoes, the last, double leather sole on the Player.... I just wanted this threads input on which one they believe is better for office wear, I also understand neither of them are conservative business dress.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a quick question of preference, I own a few pairs of AE's now and I'm looking for another pair in Walnut Calf. I actually ordered the Players from Nordstrom in Walnut (I believe they have the exclusive). I then noticed the McAllisters which look very similar. I understand the differences in the shoes, the last, double leather sole on the Player.... I just wanted this threads input on which one they believe is better for office wear, I also understand neither of them are conservative business dress.
Players: blucher McAllisters: balmoral The latter is more formal. I personally like the McAllisters better - by a long shot.

Last edited:

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

In addition to the differences you note, one is a derby (The Player) one is a balmoral (the McAllister). I have the player in walnut (wearing them today, in fact; see below). Love them. The 2 lasts causes trouble for some people, but I find them TTS in my 14EEE size. They're snug (definitely more narrow than 5-lasted shoes, for example) but not uncomfortable.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In addition to the balmoral/blucher thing, the Player shoe is on the "2" last while the McAllister is on the "5" last. Many people have a very hard time getting a good fit on the 2 last. Though it doesn't apply in the case of the walnut calf, the Player shoe is available in a wide variety of suedes.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THe player shoe became more comfortable with even just a day of wear, so keep that in mind

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In addition to the balmoral/blucher thing, the Player shoe is on the "2" last while the McAllister is on the "5" last. Many people have a very hard time getting a good fit on the 2 last. Though it doesn't apply in the case of the walnut calf, the Player shoe is available in a wide variety of suedes.

yup. i had to return my players shoe in walnut to nordstrom. 9.5D was way too tight in the forefoot and verging on too-short. 10D, my heel and mid-foot were just swimming around. beautiful shoe, but i just don't think that last works for me. :brick:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
A quick compliment on AE customer service:

Using the online chat option on the AE website, I asked the associate (Melissa) what length wax laces are needed for the Dalton dress boot. She replied 48". The website only lists 27", 30" & 33" as options for wax laces. So...she offered to mail me a pair free of charge. Now that's service!

Update: 2 pair of 48" dress laces arrived today. No charge. No questions asked. Love this company.

jasonleb1

Reaction score
Can't wait for the Rediscover sale, gonna grab a pair of Mcallisters in Walnut.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Strawfuts in Brown/Linen but I have no idea what I'd wear them with. I know I'd want to dress them down though. $135 might be too good a deal to pass up though.
censored.gif

Last edited:

Murph65

Reaction score
Newbie here, drooling over all the fantastic AE shoes.

Wondering if you all can help me?

Small feet. 7.5D left foot, 6.5D right foot. High instep. Slightly narrow heel.

Love all the 5 last shoes. Unwilling to pay the full freight of $335 on most of them.

Always understood that one fits the larger foot, so I ordered 7.5D Elgins on closeout from AE via the website and 7.5D Park Aves on Amazon with a discount code.

Neither fits. Gapping at the vamp, bowing on the sides and pinching at the outer arch.

Went to an AE store as well as to Nordstrom in NJ and tried to get a better fit with little luck, mostly because due to the small size, they just didn't have the stock to try on options. For example, I wanted to try on a Sanford (blucher) because I understand them to be more forgiving of a high instep - nothing in stock... Nordstrom wanted to put me in Italian shoes at a much higher price tag and can't be recrafted... Not interested in that.

I have access to the AE stores in NYC, but like I said, I have no intention of paying full price. Do you think the salesmen will give me the time of day if I tell them that I'm just trying to find a shoe/last combination that works for me? Any other guidance how to figure this out?

I really want to find some AE shoes that will work for me as I think many of them are gorgeous, the value/price combo (on sale at least) works, and I love the idea of the recrafting service.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Murph

tsekh

Reaction score
There are some great AE deals on Amazon going on right now.

These 76 shoes are eligible for the 2012FALL coupon that gives $20 off $100 or $50 of 200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...9255011&ie=UTF8&qid=1347911938&rnid=679797011

In addition, signing up for their shoes and handbag mailing list gives you a one-time 20% off coupon that can be used on some AE shoes as well
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1397074842&pf_rd_i=507846

The Dalton is eligible for the first deal, but doens't seem to work for the second one.

** EDIT: The Dalton is eligible for both (but can't stack)! The second one gives $75 off the Dalton, I guess it's time for me to pull the trigger ... :happy:

Last edited:

millerbk

Reaction score
Venessa at UD sent me some better photo's of the Amsterdam I really like the new color but I'm not sure about the sole. I already ordered the shoe but I'm having second thoughts after seeing the sole. I'm looking for some input on the sole not sure why they went with the rubber? I might cancel my order and get the bourbon in the Larchmont when it comes out in Oct.

millerbk

Reaction score
Posted some new photo's of the Amsterdam but need to wait on the moderator to approve the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads