• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgp001

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about a $99 special....details?
Someone posted a flyer a couple pages back showing $99 for closeout seconds at the Shoebank (all AE outlets use the same inventory database, not just what's available at that store).

I called the Jeffersonville Outlet and they confirmed they are taking pre-orders for the Black Friday sale, however they are checking tomorrow to see if the $99 on closeout seconds will be part of the actual sale.

cincikid

Reaction score
I have an existential dilemma. Which PTB: Derby City or Stewart? Both are now $159, but Derby City should be 30% off at J'ville and Stewart will probably be $99 as a closeout second.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
How much were the merlot strands? I'm guessing for the 30% you have to actually call during that time.

234 less 30% ~$165. Saved $200 off the normal price. Fingers crossed they come in great condition, the SA told me they were still at the factory.

850csi

Reaction score
Called the Jville outlet and was told the %offs don't apply to the RL shoes for some reason. I confirmed that I could use it on a pair of Dalton or Fifth Streets though. Does anybody know why?

the 20/30% off thing is a Tanger Outlets sale, so if it's worked in the past on RL shoes I don't see why it wouldn't this time - unless they're saying that RL shoes are already discounted and thus you can't take off any additional %

It's probably because the RL shoes, like the BBs, are already on sale. I'd imagine they'll let you use those coupons on any shoe that isn't a closeout/on sale. They typically won't let you stack sales.

Last edited:

taint it sweet

Reaction score
Ok...this may be long.. I have a few newbie questions. I've been lurking for a while, and I'm considering my first pair of AE. I figured I'd post here for help since the search function on this forum sucks and I didn't want to start a new thread...

-What exactly are factory seconds?
-If I've never ordered extra wide dress shoes before, should I disregard all of the extra options (EEE), etc and just stick with the regular?
-Is there a particular "last" that results in a better shoe based on popular opinion here?
-Is the quality far superior to that of Donald Pliner and/or John Varvatos?
-Is the maintainence difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cincikid

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconds are shoes deemed to have a flaw by the factory. They range from near flawless to major defects. If you have never ordered shoes from a particular last please try them on ,the knowledge of members here will be of great benefit and help you to approximate your size, however no two feet are a like often not even your own. A better shoe is a subjective term, but to answer your question each last will fit you differently in some cases the differences will be small in other cases you may need to size up or down to find the correct fit. The last of the shoe has nothing to do with the integrity of the shoe itself. The last defines the shape of the shoe after the leather/cordovan etc. has been pulled over the wooden/plastic form. I have no experience with either of the brands you have listed however AE is often considered to be of great quality and considered to best the best bang for your buck. Most AE shoes are good year welted and recraftable meaning the soles can be replaced and the uppers reconditioned among other repairs. This leads to increased longevity which serves to enhance the value as a well cared pair of AEs could easily last 20 years depending on your walking habits, rotation size, and dedication to maintaining them. Always use shoe trees and get fitted by a professional. Welcome to the thread and good luck on your journey.

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
I like bar lacing.

How can I use bar lacing on a shoe with three eyelets?

Also -- I just used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LC on my Bayfield Brown CXL boots. It was a great experience, as weird as that sounds. I slightly warmed the boots and the product then and applied a very thin coat by hand. Stuff smells delicious and the leather just looks healthier/richer. I was thinking about adding a second coat, as recommended in the LP's description, but I wasn't sure how long I had to wait. Tomorrow night should be safe.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok...this may be long.. I have a few newbie questions. I've been lurking for a while, and I'm considering my first pair of AE. I figured I'd post here for help since the search function on this forum sucks and I didn't want to start a new thread...

-What exactly are factory seconds? slight imperfections (usually, hopefully) that keep shoes from making it to retail sales but that are still deemed minimal enough that the shoes can still be worn and are thus sold at a discount
-If I've never ordered extra wide dress shoes before, should I disregard all of the extra options (EEE), etc and just stick with the regular? go to a local Nordstrom's or AE store and get sized.
-Is there a particular "last" that results in a better shoe based on popular opinion here? AE and other quality shoe manufacturers base their shoes off of different lasts (think molds), each of which has a slightly different foot. It doesn't refer to manufacturing process. Thus preference is largely personal - people's feet are different and fit differently in different lasts - so go try a few different lasted shoes on. All shoes manufactured on the same last should fit you more or less the same and AE doesn't make any type of shoe (eg. the Strands) in more than one last.
-Is the quality far superior to that of Donald Pliner and/or John Varvatos? Yes.
-Is the maintainence difficult? Keep them in shoe trees. Purchase a horsehair brush, shoe conditioner and cleaner, some cream polish and a dauber. Use the cleaner sparingly (AE sells combo cleaner/conditioner, you can buy that, it'll be fine) - really only when you need to strip the shoes of layers of polish or dirt. Once you clean you have to condition because you've sucked the moisture out of the shoes. Condition the shoes regularly after going over them w/ the brush to knock away any dirt/buildup. Let them dry. Go over w/ brush and then buff w/ cloth. You don't need to use cleaner prior to conditioning every time, only when it's dirty. If it's getting scuffed and discolored, daub a little bit of polish on and work it in just like you would the conditioner.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers in bold. Read the thread. Lots of good (and varying) advice here. This is just my opinion based on my experience.

Man, I'll do anything to avoid studying for my shelf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads