• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone posted a flyer a couple pages back showing $99 for closeout seconds at the Shoebank (all AE outlets use the same inventory database, not just what's available at that store).

I called the Jeffersonville Outlet and they confirmed they are taking pre-orders for the Black Friday sale, however they are checking tomorrow to see if the $99 on closeout seconds will be part of the actual sale.
Thanks for the heads up. $99 closeouts seems like a very sweet deal to me. I'll have to look into that and stay tuned.

david 112358

Reaction score
I think the Aberdeen is about a half size bigger than the 5 last. Mine are the same size as some perfect fitting stands, and the are just too roomy. Should have exchanged then for a slightly smaller pair.

I really like the Aberdeen, it's just a bit to big.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color is better in amberdeen the brown or tan? With jeans and slacks. Thanks for the help David!

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do some variation of this one-handed method to get bar lacing style with odd eyelets.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/onehandedlacing.htm

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

Sorry BR seems you are correct bar lacing requires an even number of eyelets.

How can I use bar lacing on a shoe with three eyelets?

I generally use this method for my dress shoes. It is close to bar, except it tightens nicely and can be used on even or odd number of eyelets.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

kkdkke

Reaction score
I agree that the pics don't show the proper angle of the... 'fanning' happening on the right shoe's pinking; some of it fans up, other parts lay against the vamp.
9uLlxh

Last edited:

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
What color is better in amberdeen the brown or tan? With jeans and slacks. Thanks for the help David!
I have them in tan and wear them all the time with jeans. As someone else mentioned, they seem a little roomier than my other AE's in the same size.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
So my strands, AE McAllisters, and BB McAllisters all fit differently. I used the same size for all three, the strands fit perfect, the AE McAllisters are loose and the BB McAllisters are tight. What gives?!

I should note that the AE McAllisters were MTO, if that has anything to do with it. I know that the BB McAllisters have a different insole which Is certainly taking up more room and is creating tightness in the vamp.

How have you guys faired with these shoes?

Side note: my Neumoks and Cronmoks fit fine, same size as the shoes above.

Crazy 5 last!

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wedge sole on the carson city is driving me nuts. Is it so hard to just put a normal sole on a good looking boot? Here is a totally sweet boot, almost on par with the dalton, and then it has some wacky red brick or china white sole. WHY?! Is this to force us to their more upmarket boots?
The more I look at the Carson City, the more I'm liking it, wedge and all, although I do agree the white sole is fugly (I would go with the dark brown leather and red sole) and I'm not crazy about the speed hooks. It doesn't come in a 9.5 E so I'd have to try 10.5 D instead. What I'd REALLY like is a pair of shell Daltons to go with my walnuts, but I could be waiting many months if not years for those to show up on the seconds list. In the meantime, as a "poor man's Dalton", the Carson City might scratch my itch just fine.

Here is my question: Generally speaking, on a shoe with a wedge sole, is it possible to replace the sole with something like the Dalton's butyl double leather (complete with actual heel)? Or is it once a wedge, always a wedge?

P.S. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and have finally decided to start posting. I humbly apologize in advance for any noob mistakes I make and would welcome constructive criticism. By way of context, I caught the AE bug only a few months ago but am already at 20+ pairs. The breadth and depth of knowledge in this thread of shoes in general and AEs in particular is amazing!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my strands, AE McAllisters, and BB McAllisters all fit differently. I used the same size for all three, the strands fit perfect, the AE McAllisters are loose and the BB McAllisters are tight. What gives?!

I should note that the AE McAllisters were MTO, if that has anything to do with it. I know that the BB McAllisters have a different insole which Is certainly taking up more room and is creating tightness in the vamp.

How have you guys faired with these shoes?

Side note: my Neumoks and Cronmoks fit fine, same size as the shoes above.

Crazy 5 last!

As you note, the BB AE shoes fit tighter due to the poron insole. Not sure why your Strands and McAllisters fit differently.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wedge sole on the carson city is driving me nuts. Is it so hard to just put a normal sole on a good looking boot? Here is a totally sweet boot, almost on par with the dalton, and then it has some wacky red brick or china white sole. WHY?! Is this to force us to their more upmarket boots?

The more I look at the Carson City, the more I'm liking it, wedge and all, although I do agree the white sole is fugly (I would go with the dark brown leather and red sole) and I'm not crazy about the speed hooks.  It doesn't come in a 9.5 E so I'd have to try 10.5 D instead.  What I'd REALLY like is a pair of shell Daltons to go with my walnuts, but I could be waiting many months if not years for those to show up on the seconds list.  In the meantime, as a "poor man's Dalton", the Carson City might scratch my itch just fine.

Here is my question: Generally speaking, on a shoe with a wedge sole, is it possible to replace the sole with something like the Dalton's butyl double leather (complete with actual heel)? Or is it once a wedge, always a wedge?

P.S. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and have finally decided to start posting. I humbly apologize in advance for any noob mistakes I make and would welcome constructive criticism.  By way of context, I caught the AE bug only a few months ago but am already at 20+ pairs. The breadth and depth of knowledge in this thread of shoes in general and AEs in particular is amazing!

20+ pairs in a few months? Man, you have got the fever bad! Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads