• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the chili welt with the transparent brown edge. It's like what the Neumok edges have. I agree the black edge is too formal. It's why the MTO is so great since burgundy and black are so common together.

I have discussed with Allison previously and I the Neumok edge trim is referred to as toasted natural edge trim. I have chili welt with transparent brown edge trim and it is certainly darker than the Neumok. My MTO Dundees have it.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Anybody ever try stripping AE's brown cordovan down to its natural color like the fellow who just did so with his burgundy shell? I wonder how much polish is applied to brown. I'd guess they would lighten up a bit.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have discussed with Allison previously and I the Neumok edge trim is referred to as toasted natural edge trim. I have chili welt with transparent brown edge trim and it is certainly darker than the Neumok. My MTO Dundees have it.

Are you talking about the Dundees with the danite sole? Because the edging on those looks fine, honestly. The leather is a nice shade, the danite just makes it all look darker. Look at the part of the heel that isn't rubber, that's fine. I wouldn't worry if it's that or lighter.

Anyway, Allison said that light brown transparent is what the Neumoks have, and my invoice says "like the 4025" which is the Neumok. So I'm set, or at least close enough to not really matter. I just don't want the chocolatey brown edging, and certainly not the black.

I also asked her if she could have them not do their finishing on it, and at least avoid cream and color. She'll put in the request, but she's not sure if that's doable, though I'm not exactly sure why not. I guess the finishing is a bit too automatically done? Oh well, I told her if they got finished I would just strip it myself, so we'll see.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that feeling of branching out, I heavily contemplated it as well. When I spoke to Allison she's like "didn't I just talk to you yesterday" lol. I hope you're not skipping out on ordering them on my behalf. I swear I won't be in NY any time soon
biggrin.gif
Post up the Marlows when you get them. They sure are gorgeous!
Definitely not because of you. Would have loved to have a shoe twin on the thread. Just figured I'd get what I originally wanted and not have to mess with any more 2 last shoes. Their sizing is so weird for my feet.

I might have to e-mail Allison just out of courtesy since she was so helpful. Wish I didnt order a pair of shell MacNeils or else I'd be discussing a MTO Strand in Shell.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Are you talking about the Dundees with the danite sole? Because the edging on those looks fine, honestly. The leather is a nice shade, the danite just makes it all look darker. Look at the part of the heel that isn't rubber, that's fine. I wouldn't worry if it's that or lighter.

Anyway, Allison said that light brown transparent is what the Neumoks have, and my invoice says "like the 4025" which is the Neumok. So I'm set, or at least close enough to not really matter. I just don't want the chocolatey brown edging, and certainly not the black.

This is chili welt with transparent brown edge dressing on my MTO Dundee

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever try stripping AE's brown cordovan down to its natural color like the fellow who just did so with his burgundy shell? I wonder how much polish is applied to brown. I'd guess they would lighten up a bit.
I may be wrong, but I think part of the reason the darker shades of shell that have the darker polish are more common is that they can cover up the imperfections in the leather. This is why the lighter shades of shell are so rare. Horween needs to find nearly perfect shells for the light colors. I would be concerned with revealing potential imperfections in the shell if stripping.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I think part of the reason the darker shades of shell that have the darker polish are more common is that they can cover up the imperfections in the leather. This is why the lighter shades of shell are so rare. Horween needs to find nearly perfect shells for the light colors. I would be concerned with revealing potential imperfections in the shell if stripping.

I agree.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you own the Strand or Park Ave? How do the Flatirons fit you compared to the ones mentioned?

I've tried the Batons before and they feel wider and longer/bigger than the Strand.

On another note, I heard that you can return seconds to a retail store if you want to avoid the $10 return fee.

Can anyone else confirm if this is true?

I have Strands, Park Aves, and Flatirons. The 333 last definitely feels wider than the 5 last, but not much longer. The 333 last is much more fully fitting in the toe box. I wear a 9.5D in the 5 last and the 9.5D in the 333 last fits me. However, I feel a 9.25D would be perfect in the 333 last. I tried a 9E in the 3 last and the heel was too big.

WICaniac

Reaction score
I have Strands, Park Aves, and Flatirons. The 333 last definitely feels wider than the 5 last, but not much longer. The 333 last is much more fully fitting in the toe box. I wear a 9.5D in the 5 last and the 9.5D in the 333 last fits me. However, I feel a 9.25D would be perfect in the 333 last. I tried a 9E in the 3 last and the heel was too big.
My experience is quite different. I wear an 11E in most AE lasts (to include the 5), and this is usually a tad tight for my pinky toes until they've been broken in or stretched. The forefoot on the 333 last is simply too narrow for me. I can jump up to an 11.5 E and have a comfortable forefoot but heel slippage or down to a 10.5EEE and have a comfortable forefoot with my toes curled. It just further illustrates the obvious point that every foot is different and requires individual fitting.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did you remove it? Simple buffing or with some product, as well?

This makes my Jefferson v. McAllister v. McTavish conundrum even harder. I had been swayed over to the Jefferson by comments here and elsewhere (and the desireable fact that I cannot afford them now). These pics, however, have me second guessing.

My weekly rotation:
Burgundy shell PAs
Black shell Leeds
Walnut Jermyns
Black Red Wing Beckman chukkas

I said in a previous post that I've never needed a brogued wingtip, but the truth is I prefer them and would probably wear this shoe twice as often as the others--especially if it works with dress trousers, khakis, and jeans. (I have J&M saddle wingtips in walnut and linen, but they're a white-pants-only affair).

I think the JM's would go pretty well with khaki's or maybe even navy pants. Then again, I'm a bit of an outlaw with this stuff. I like wearing my walnut daltons with black slacks or jeans.

SBear

Reaction score
+1

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I think part of the reason the darker shades of shell that have the darker polish are more common is that they can cover up the imperfections in the leather. This is why the lighter shades of shell are so rare. Horween needs to find nearly perfect shells for the light colors. I would be concerned with revealing potential imperfections in the shell if stripping.

I always believed that this was the reason that the lighter colors were in shorter supply from Horoween and why AE has ample supply of #8, black and dark brown. The paste that AE applies would be in addition to the dye that Horoween uses...ie the color should already account for the visibility of these flaws. Perhaps there are still visible flaws that AE is attempting to cover up, but I bet it is more than likely due to the tendency of shell cordovan to scratch easy and them wanting to protect the surface of the shoe for the customer. Most of the customer base wouldn't know the intricacies of maintaining cordovan to the extent of many of the members here, so it's much easier for AE to simply apply a base layer to keep the shoe from getting too dinged up before it makes it to the foot of the wearer.

On the same note, it's very possible that they apply the paste/creme/polish early on to protect the shell during manufacturing. I would assume that most buyers wouldn't want a slightly scratched or scarred shoe when they are spending nearly double the price of the perfectly finished calf models.

SBear

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Saunders vs. the Dundee in calf? I want a brown boot, but the Dundee is $200 more than the Saunders (tan) right now.
They are both great. I have the Saunders and really like them. I don't have the Dundee but it seems to be a bit stubbier (relatively speaking) than the Saunders, at least in appearance. Still, it looks great! Not sure how you are looking at Saunders that are $200 less but it sounds as if a seconds version may be in play? If so, I'd ask to get eyes on the specific shoes you'd be considering to learn the nature of the issue - that would be a deciding factor for me. As long as they are both looking good, I'd go for the Saunders...especially if it is that much cheaper but even if it wasn't. The tan looks indiscernible from my walnut (Strands), so it is indeed a light color. If you really want brown, then that would obviously trump all of the above. It is always best to get what you want (or wait if you don't want to spend the money) rather than get something you aren't totally happy with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads