• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
quote name="bucksfan" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473"]Spent some time getting the infamous AE polish / cream / whatever off my new kenwoods.

Mid- way through:

Naked #8 goodness:

[/quote]

So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?

tietherope

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Saunders vs. the Dundee in calf? I want a brown boot, but the Dundee is $200 more than the Saunders (tan) right now.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fingers crossed for my first pair of seconds coming in today. $149 for Walnut Flatirons. Hopefully as close to this as possible.
I just got mine. Physically they're perfect. Unfortunately the fit of the left is way off. Maybe that's the defect. Heel is hugely out of proportion. Tongue pads and insoles don't help, so even at 149, I have to send back. Too bad, they're gorgeous :(

drcharlie

Reaction score
Nice purchases, at $143 per pair, that's awesome.
If you're retiring from seconds, eoes that mean you're moving onto firsts? After that it'll be shells and then your conversion to the dark side will be complete!
stirpot.gif
Must avoid the progression... Must avoid the progression...

I have been subscribing to this thread since August. I recently stopped my subscription and vowed to stop buying shoes. However, I got the Rediscover America list of seconds and avoided a purchase, but then a few days later requested an updated list--it had the BB walnut Strands and I couldn't resist! Now I started my subscription to this thread again. Seeing all of the shell and made to order shoes makes me wonder how long until I start all of that!

WICaniac

Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

I knew the amount of cream was excessive, but didn't think it was this bad.

These started out looking like the new burgundy cordovan finishing and now actually appear to be the older style.

Why is the AE cordovan care cream "infamous"? I ask as I had some troubles of my own the other day, but I attributed them to the horrible AE pencil dauber shedding hairs constantly.

bucksfan

Reaction score
quote name="bucksfan" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473"]Spent some time getting the infamous AE polish / cream / whatever off my new kenwoods.

Mid- way through:

Naked #8 goodness:

So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?[/QUOTE]

It is either polish or cream that AE adds to its shell cordovan shoes, in order to make them look what they think is better. I personally like to see the actual shell, rather than covering it up with product. No real protection is gained, in fact there is some discussion about whether the shell cordovan is more likely to "welt" if it is covered in a polish. It really is just a preference though. Most on here prefer less product.

[/spoiler]

What method did you use, bucks?

I typically only use a damp rag with a horsehair brush. I wipe them down, then brush off. The water makes the polish easier to remove. I keep at it until nothing is coming off **********. It usually takes about 30 mins per shoe. This pair of kenwoods was loaded, so I used Renovateur and a horsehair brush. Took me about 30 mins per shoe, and I still need to hit them again a little tonight. Some others have been known to use Renomat to strip it all off, but I personally didn't want to use something that harsh. I'd rather spend the time.

I actually like the very dark appearance of those burgundy shell kenwoods. If one wanted to darken their pair up a bit, would AE's cordovan cream/polish be appropriate?

Yes, AE's burgundy shell cordovan cream does add color to the shoes, as does Saphir's version of the same.

[/SPOILER]

I knew the amount of cream was excessive, but didn't think it was this bad.

These started out looking like the new burgundy cordovan finishing and now actually appear to be the older style.

That was my take also. Happy to see the "old" coloration peeking through.

Why is the AE cordovan care cream "infamous"? I ask as I had some troubles of my own the other day, but I attributed them to the horrible AE pencil dauber shedding hairs constantly.
I say "infamous" because a lot of people on this thread complain about the volume of stuff that AE puts on their new shell cordovan shoes, as difficult to remove and covering up the beauty of the shell.

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if this $505 MTO special ends the 15th along with the Rediscover America Sale?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Saunders vs. the Dundee in calf? I want a brown boot, but the Dundee is $200 more than the Saunders (tan) right now.
I bought a pair of the Saunders in chocolate suede. I like them a lot. If you want a pair, I'd suggest calling in right away. A lot of the BB and RL shoes are actually sold out from the last sale, but the inventory hasn't been completely updated yet. I learned that when I called last week. Unless you're an unusual size, there's a good chance that they won't actually have any, so check right away.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Do you guys know if this $505 MTO special ends the 15th along with the Rediscover America Sale?  

There is no "$505 MTO special". It is all pricing from the RDA sale. Once the sale ends all shell will be back to $595(shoes). Get crackin'!!!

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no "$505 MTO special". It is all pricing from the RDA sale. Once the sale ends all shell will be back to $595(shoes). Get crackin'!!!
Thats what I was afraid of. I need to try on a 2 last before ordering. Thanks.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
PSA: Jos Bank has trees today for $8.50 with free shipping. Maybe some don't like them, but they've worked for me!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

PSA: Jos Bank has trees today for $8.50 with free shipping. Maybe some don't like them, but they've worked for me!

I hope I like them! I ordered 4 pair earlier. They look identical to my AE branded trees. I typically buy the Woodlore from Nordstrom Rack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads