• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWN

Reaction score
Only difference is that Nordstrom's customer service will probably be better in the long run -- in case you want to do an exchange 6 months down the line.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My heart was set on the Elgin and I couldn't let it go, so I ordered a first quality pair at $197 & and a seconds Cognac McTavish with the 20% off coupon. Dropped the 2 for $250 deal altogether.
That is a smart move IMO, it is much better to get exactly what you want than talk yourself into something that will sit on the shelf and you will never wear. The Elgin is my favorite rough collection shoe and I really like the waxy saddle leather finish more than any of the other rough collection leathers.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent approx. 1 hr with the Mac method on my Cambridge last night. They are getting there.
a2ymedun.jpg
Are you satisfied with the fit of those on your foot? Only reason I ask is because I do see a large gap in the lacing. Or maybe its the cross lacing you have, I think straight bar would really clean it up and not be as noticeable. Either way, the shoes are beautiful thus far, cant wait for few years down the road what they have morphed into.

rpearlberg

Reaction score
That is a smart move IMO, it is much better to get exactly what you want than talk yourself into something that will sit on the shelf and you will never wear. The Elgin is my favorite rough collection shoe and I really like the waxy saddle leather finish more than any of the other rough collection leathers.

I like those Elgin's!! Are they still available from AE?

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what last is the Sanford?

I love the 7 Last for my wide feet. And I do love my Walnut Sanfords. In fact I'm wearing them today, they have Patina'd nicely over the past 2 years, and still show very minimal wear, great casual blucher, and awesome fit. I'm amazed they are on closeout, its such a classic casual shoe. I suppose it can always be replaced with a similar style.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the fit of those on your foot? Only reason I ask is because I do see a large gap in the lacing. Or maybe its the cross lacing you have, I think straight bar would really clean it up and not be as noticeable. Either way, the shoes are beautiful thus far, cant wait for few years down the road what they have morphed into.
I do really like the fit of these. All the oxfords I have look like this when laced so I never thought anything of it. Maybe my instep is a smidge high, but I wouldn't change my size to account for it. These fit really well and are super comfy so I am happy. I'm sure I could lace them up a little tighter too, but they feel good.

tietherope

Reaction score
What is the difference between buying from Nordstrom vs Allen Edmonds brick & mortar stores?? Reason I ask is because I am planning on buying the Walnut Strands and Allen Edmonds doesn’t have my size they have to order it. Nordstrom does have my size so I was just wondering if Im better off just waiting the 4 to 5 days it takes for Allen Edmonds to receive it? thanks
For the next 3 days they are cheaper at Nordstrom (well, I guess there is price matching).

Last edited:

tietherope

Reaction score

That picture confirms that I definitely made the right choice. I'm more excited for that shoe than any other one yet. Thanks for sharing it.

I like those Elgin's!! Are they still available from AE?
Here's the details from an earlier post of mine - keep in mind the shoe is a closeout so once it's gone, it's gone:
The Tan Elgin as a second is part of the 2 for $250 sale or I think $179 on its own. A first quality pair is $197.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Thanks! And great point; I've wiped them down a number of times, but there does still seem to be some build up. And based on what Tifosi just shared (and how great those Cambridges look) I have much more to do.

These are my first cordovans, so thanks for the tip
So you have worn calfskin before . . . and this is the first cordovans?

How did they feel to your feet after wearing them for 4 or more hours?

Reason I ask is that many have said cordovans have to be broken in before they are comfortable on feet that have been more accustomed to calfskin. Others who always wear cordovans seem to have feet accustomed to the cordovan feel.

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
anyone out there try applying Walnut polish to their brown calf shoes?

After wearing walnut strands for the first time this week, I have decided that lighter colors pop much better. I am thinking about using walnut polish to lighten my brown shoes- thoughts?
It depends.

Do you wish to keep the color the same? If so, then a Color Guide to match up what you actually have in hand would be best to have before laying out money to buy colors unseen.

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
What is the difference between buying from Nordstrom vs Allen Edmonds brick & mortar stores?? Reason I ask is because I am planning on buying the Walnut Strands and Allen Edmonds doesn’t have my size they have to order it. Nordstrom does have my size so I was just wondering if Im better off just waiting the 4 to 5 days it takes for Allen Edmonds to receive it? thanks
Go with Nordstroms.

As mentioned, they also will price match on the same shoe being sold for less from other stores, such as www.6pm.com .

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
Only difference is that Nordstrom's customer service will probably be better in the long run -- in case you want to do an exchange 6 months down the line.
How true, especially since they offer a professional fit in their store to back up any misfits 6 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads