1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Lots of 007. Ace in the Hole. Four Days in September. Yellow Submarine.

2. ari.seoul

ari.seoul Active Member

any action, comedy or combination thereof ... I'm pretty shallow in selecting movies ~ just want something entertaining and fun

last movie watched was ... Jonah Hex (so-so movie), Kick Ass (pretty good, though have to use a lot of imagination to see Cage as a tough guy), League of Assassins (Michelle Yeoh still kicks ass)

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I got sucked into the Godfather saga on the television Thanksgiving Day. I've seen all three dozens of times and I can still watch Parts I and II with rapt attention.

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Watched Despicable Me last night. Very cute movie and pretty funny to boot. Highly recommended for those with kids and those adults who enjoy Pixar-style movies.

5. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

I got sucked into the Godfather saga on the television Thanksgiving Day. I've seen all three dozens of times and I can still watch Parts I and II with rapt attention.

AMC.

6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

Lots of Takeshi Kitano, Johnnie To, Phillip Ridley, and Peter Greenaway. I'm definitely going to be adding some Leslie Nielsen films to the playlist after the unfortunate news. R.I.P. [​IMG]

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Michael Clayton was on TV a few nights ago. I DVR'd it have watched it twice in two nights.

8. S. Paul

S. Paul Well-Known Member

the Graduate was on a few days back, followed by Taxi Driver. i also got reacquainted with Fight Club this weekend.

9. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Well-Known Member

Hunger. Best movie I've seen in the last 5 or 6 years. Next to Half Nelson.

1 person likes this.
  10. edinatlanta

Have "From Russia with Love" waiting for me... [​IMG] starting to make my way chronologically through all the 007 movies!

11. darnelled

darnelled Well-Known Member

Almost throught The Pacific series.

12. edinatlanta

13. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Well-Known Member

Just watched Carlos (Oliver Assayas). I picked up the mini series version (5 plus hours) from Amazon UK. I'm not sure how it was condensed for the theatrical cuts, but it didn't seem overlong at all. Probably the fastest paced movie (outside of mindless action flicks) since Goodfellas. In fact there were whole sequences that literally left my heart pounding. It's pretty remarkable to see the terrorist as rock star/ political gangster concept work so well. Kind of brilliant, actually.

14. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I watched Deer Hunter recently. Otherwise, I'm waiting for some Best of 2010 lists to come out.

16. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Well-Known Member

I watched Deer Hunter recently. Otherwise, I'm waiting for some Best of 2010 lists to come out.
    If you check Metacritic's Highest Ratings for 2010, it will give you a pretty good indication of what will be on most lists. I don't agree with every film that rates but it's a pretty good indication of the quality films that were released this year. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/mov...ary-nav;item;8

17. edinatlanta

18. edinatlanta

Chinatown.

Just picked up Thunderball, 12:08 to Bucharest and Bus 174.

19. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Well-Known Member

20. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Out of the blue, no idea why, but I watched the animated Heavy Metal from, what, 1980? I liked it as a kid when it came out and realized after seeing it again just how amazing it still is.

One thing that jumped out at me in contrast to today's computerized animated junk was the apparent labor of love and attention to detail that it has. Since it was all by hand (pardon the rotoscoping, this is how you do it right) it's just so much more real. I noticed all the little flaws that I remembered and spotted a few more, but they all combine to make it better. It's sad to think there will probably never be another film like it.