• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

tj100

Reaction score

Im worried about LSU, they still have a damn good Arkansas team to beat, and a hungry UGA team to beat, very scary. Hell look at LSUs schedule this year, its insane.

History shows that more LSU is more likely than not to lose one of those two games.

Unbreakable

Reaction score

History shows that more LSU is more likely than not to lose one of those two games.

Gotta keep faith in the Mad Hatter, Chavis, and Mathieu to pull something brilliant together.

tj100

Reaction score

Gotta keep faith in the Mad Hatter, Chavis, and Mathieu to pull something brilliant together.

In the last 10 years, the #1 team in week 12 has won* the National Championship just twice (2004 USC & 2007 LSU). And that LSU team lost a game in between week 12 and the title game (to Arkansas, no less).

*Actually, just once, considering that USC's 2004 win did not actually happen...

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

According to most experts. Andrew Luck will win the superbowl next year... I myself think hes overrated, playing Oregon proved that. The first good team they played all year and its a 23 point loss. Also took them 3 ots to beat a bad USC team.

I'm not sure how the Stanford defense being slow and bad has to do with Andrew Luck. He's still the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

Secondly, the USC team is pretty good. If they were BCS eligible they would be a top 25 team when its all said and done. Kiffin can't coach worth **** but it's still a roster full of 4 and 5 star talent from top to bottom.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure how the Stanford defense being slow and bad has to do with Andrew Luck. He's still the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.
Secondly, the USC team is pretty good. If they were BCS eligible they would be a top 25 team when its all said and done. Kiffin can't coach worth **** but it's still a roster full of 4 and 5 star talent from top to bottom.

This is so incorrect it hurts.

3rd least penalized team in the Pac-12, #1 in sacks given up, incredible offensive numbers, rapidly (to my surprise) improving defense. None of it is to Kiffin's credit I guess :confused:

As someone who has followed USC in the past, I'd assume you would know that it takes more than 4-5 star recruits to make a good team. 2009 and 2010 should be testament to that.

And by top to bottom, I'm assuming you're referring to the depleted roster due to our bullshit scholarship reductions.

Last edited:

tj100

Reaction score

I'm not sure I'd go that far - I think this is a bit of revisionist history. Andrew Luck is the best NFL prospect at QB this year, but I'm not sure as a *prospect* he's any better than a whole slew of guys since the 1998 draft: Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, and David Carr have all been in that slot. And let's not forget that in 1998, Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf was a legitimate debate; you can't think about Peyton Manning as a sure-thing prospect, because he wasn't.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ No prospect is a sure thing. Especially at QB, but Peyton Manning was as close as it gets. There have been plenty of QB prospects with even higher upside (physical tool wise)... Leaf, Russell, Vick, et al. But none of them were nearly as pro-ready as Luck is right now, one bad game or not.

This is so incorrect it hurts.
3rd least penalized team in the Pac-12, #1 in sacks given up, incredible offensive numbers, rapidly (to my surprise) improving defense. None of it is to Kiffin's credit I guess :confused:
As someone who has followed USC in the past, I'd assume you would know that it takes more than 4-5 star recruits to make a good team. 2009 and 2010 should be testament to that.
And by top to bottom, I'm assuming you're referring to the depleted roster due to our bullshit scholarship reductions.

What other major factors contribute to an elite Pac 12 team? I mean I see talent of players and competency of coaching... I suppose institutional support/university resources, but USC is hardly lacking in either.

Year in and year out, USC has the best recruiting classes, not just the best, but the best by far in the conference. The other school across town has down pretty well for themselves of late in attracting talent, but their failures to win anything is attributed to poor coaching/player development. Why is it any different for Kiffin? I suppose he needs more time for a real verdict, but he did inherit a solid roster in 2010 and then had some head scratching losses to Washington (vs Sark), Notre Dame and an inexplicable blowout loss to Oregon State.

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, "Champagne" Joey Harrington, and David Carr were all better pro prospects than Luck.

Most of these guys had better arms, most could throw better balls, and most had played in better programs in pro-style offenses.

Luck is a good QB but the media has gone wild over him simply because CFB isn't producing many pocket passers anymore.

tj100

Reaction score

What other major factors contribute to an elite Pac 12 team? I mean I see talent of players and competency of coaching... I suppose institutional support/university resources, but USC is hardly lacking in either.
Year in and year out, USC has the best recruiting classes, not just the best, but the best by far in the conference. The other school across town has down pretty well for themselves of late in attracting talent, but their failures to win anything is attributed to poor coaching/player development. Why is it any different for Kiffin? I suppose he needs more time for a real verdict, but he did inherit a solid roster in 2010 and then had some head scratching losses to Washington (vs Sark), Notre Dame and an inexplicable blowout loss to Oregon State.

Lane Kiffin is 16-7 overall; 8-2 this year (and likely to finish 9-3) with a team that he didn't recruit, a massive scholarship penalty, and nothing to play for. That's really not bad.

Nick Saban was 19-8 in his first two years at Alabama.

Urban Meyer was 22-4 in his first two years at Florida.

Les Miles was 22-4 in his first two years at LSU.

The delta between Kiffin and the elite is a couple of games at most.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Another week, another apology from the ACC to FSU for terrible officiating. Can we leave this ****** conference already?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Another week, another apology from the ACC to FSU for terrible officiating. Can we leave this ****** conference already?

If we do that though, in what other conference would we be able to be touted as potential BCS contenders, year in and year out? Also with the basketball program on the rise FSU should stay in the ACC for a little while longer.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty poor slate of games this week. What's worth watching, Nebraska/Michigan and USC/Oregon? Bah.

I'm going to watch UGA/Kentucky, but I have no expectation that it'll be a good game.

Last edited:

tj100

Reaction score

Pretty poor slate of games this week. What's worth watching, Nebraska/Michigan and USC/Oregon? Bah.
I'm going to watch UGA/Kentucky, but I have no expectation that it'll be a good game.

There's really nothing compelling. What's up with the SEC schools scheduling 1-AA teams this late in the season?

Unbreakable

Reaction score

There's really nothing compelling. What's up with the SEC schools scheduling 1-AA teams this late in the season?

Look at the beginning and the middle of the SEC season. Heck most of our worst teams have played a tougher schedule than OKstate.....

But that said, I'm going to watch the Vandy/UT game.. Vandy is coming in to Neyland Favored! Franklin is doing great things with Vandy this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads