or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5093  

post #76381 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Well, it is a bit short and snug. Snug is personal preference, but I like to see more room, it just looks better to me. The lapels are slightly narrow, the shoulders are divoting a bit, the sleeves are too short and not a great shape. I mean, again some of this is preference, some is just little nits.

Dayim! I thought that suit was a 40R but the label says 38R. Looks like I need to move on and let go of the misconception that I am a 38R. 

Appreciate it, pB. :slayer: 

post #76382 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

[...]
You're wrong. It is CBD certainly to not care how symmetrical your tie knot is, however.

 

I was quoting someone else, you know ...

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #76383 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Dayim! I thought that suit was a 40R but the label says 38R. Looks like I need to move on and let go of the misconception that I am a 38R. 
Appreciate it, pB. icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif 

No, you're probably a 40L
post #76384 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by faribeana88 View Post
 

On the topic of neckties...since I'm still a relative noob, does anyone have a quick crash course (or know where I can find one) about what kind of ties and colors go with what seasons (i.e. Shantung is best for spring, Wool best for winter)????


It's tough to generalize, and SF in general plays a bit fast and loose with tie seasons (and shoe formality).

 

Pliny, the texture of that gun club "reads" more warm-weather, as does the color scheme* so I think the shantung is a safe bet -- more so than the challis. It's kind of shoulder-season-ish, so I suppose it can go either way.

 

*Combinations of colors have seasons, shades have seasons, but entire colors? No way.

post #76385 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


I am in the minority these days where I like my socks to be in the realm of my trousers in color. [...]

 

I'm surprised to learn that that's a minority view here.  As you know, yours is the traditional classic principle, especially with regard to suits (as opposed to odd trousers):   socks should match the color of the suit as closely as possible.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #76386 of 78717
Yeah, but it is accepted not to follow it. Obviously there are degrees of it from "fun" socks to just navy socks/grey trousers and vice versa. I just like to get it in the same realm. Even a lot of the best dressers on and off the forum don't try to match it as much as I do.
post #76387 of 78717
I'm weird about the sock thing to the point where if I am not too keen on the pair of shoes I am wearing for the day (rain shoes or something) I wear something extremely sober that matches my trousers perfectly as to not draw unnecessary attention to my shoes.

Also, my sock rotation is pretty limited as it has been harder and harder to find small discrete patterns and not wild crap. I have several pairs of each pair because I don't want to be washing socks three times a week.
post #76388 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

[...] it has been harder and harder to find small discrete patterns and not wild crap. [...]

 

I'm in a similar situation.  If anyone can recommend a good source for not-too-expensive but tasteful pin dot, ribbed, or other conservatively patterned socks appropriate for worsted suits in charcoal and navy, I'd really love to know.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #76389 of 78717
I have had much luck with Brooks Brothers and, wait for it, Cole Haan.
post #76390 of 78717

Congratulations Stitchy! No wonder you were missing! I wish you and your family all the best all the way from Ireland. As a parent of two, I know how rewarding and challenging it can be - and its a great journey to go on!

post #76391 of 78717
Congratulations, Stitch!
post #76392 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you on the width issue. 

That is the suit with the widest lapels in my closet and so I might just bench this tie until I get another suit with wider lapel width. 

The cuffs...I can look into. 

Agree on TM on all aspects.

 

But only if I was really, really nitpicking. Stuff looks great. You're probably best dressed in the office by far. I wouldn't really worry about those. You're bound to bump in to stuff like that when you rotate clothing. Not every fit will be fantastic.

 

Congratulations Stitches!!

post #76393 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post
 

Agree on TM on all aspects.

 

But only if I was really, really nitpicking. Stuff looks great. You're probably best dressed in the office by far. I wouldn't really worry about those. You're bound to bump in to stuff like that when you rotate clothing. Not every fit will be fantastic.

 

Congratulations Stitches!!

Appreciate it. 

I am glad there are members who have the ability to pick apart in detail. 

I don't know about being the best dressed but, believe it or not, I do command some respect. 

People do come up to me for advice and stuff. I try to help them as best as I can. 

And I've managed to ban yellow ties from my floor. 

post #76394 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

And I've managed to ban yellow ties from my floor. 

It's a plot to have less contestants in the Friday Challenge.
post #76395 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

I'm in a similar situation.  If anyone can recommend a good source for not-too-expensive but tasteful pin dot, ribbed, or other conservatively patterned socks appropriate for worsted suits in charcoal and navy, I'd really love to know.

Cheers,

Ac

I have bought some very nice, reasonable priced, Made in Italy house brands from S5A and NM.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III