• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to subtly inform a colleague that they have BO

datasupa

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing irreparable harm to a working relationship? And if so, how? The co-worker is not a friend per se so it would have to be done tastefully and discreetly, to say the least. Anonymous note maybe?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pull him aside in private and talk to him about it. Or let HR do it for you.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"HE", as in "how to subtly inform a colleague that HE has BO"

tlmusic

Reaction score
Years ago I had an eccentric boss who told one of his employees, "put some mum in those pits!"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I guess I have been on the opposite side of this (ashamed to admit) - I used to go boxing at lunchtimes 3x a week, which involved an incredible amount of sweating (I live in the tropics remember). I walked back in to the office one day and my deputy proclaimed that every time I go to boxing I come back "hoi qua". I laughed it off and was a little embarrassed, but then made sure I like tripled the amount of deodorant I put on after my shower, and also kept more in the office bathroom and sprayed myself again on return. I appreciated just being told, even if it was a little embarrassing for a minute or two.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most effective way is probably in person conversation. Start with golf and see how it goes.

FabricOfSociety

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Pull him aside in private and talk to him about it. Or let HR do it for you.

HR...ugh. I'd rather hear bad news from a friend. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about all the luggage that comes with HR.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd slip an anonymous note on his desk... not handwritten of course.
smile.gif

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"HE", as in "how to subtly inform a colleague that HE has BO"
very regettably, in this particular case 'they' be a 'she.' of the russian persuasion.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wait until he comes in the bathroom and as he steps in shower him with lysol. When he starts to scream/ attack, tell him you were just cleaning up the bathroom and clearly it was an accident. Then convince the other employees to go around for the rest of the day telling him how fresh and clean his lysol scent is.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sniff sniff...hey, you smell something funny?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Sniff sniff...hey, you smell something funny?

This is good. I have a co-worker who wreaks when he wears his leather body suit in the summer when commuting on his motorcycle. Working the night shift is like a frat party so we are super honest with each other. We tell him he wreaks and he just laughs it off unphased.

Someone did get in trouble once though and was sent to sensitivity training for another offense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads