• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ineffable
42R Purple Label Suit

195GBP right now, with no bids.. Mislabelled as "Puple Label".. You'd have to ask for shipping overseas, but I don't think that would be a problem. With shipping it'll probably come out to about $450-500, which isn't a bad deal...

Nice find - this is a really great deal for someone.

Mind you, I also sort of like the fur collar Sulka trench Doc found. Sort of... I like it in the abstract; not sure anyone could pull of wearing it!
wink.gif

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like a really nice suit. Any guess on its age or model?

Originally Posted by ineffable
42R Purple Label Suit

195GBP right now, with no bids.. Mislabelled as "Puple Label".. You'd have to ask for shipping overseas, but I don't think that would be a problem. With shipping it'll probably come out to about $450-500, which isn't a bad deal...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
looks like a really nice suit. Any guess on its age or model?

Difficult to be sure, but I'd guess 2005 or 2006. I've sold a fair few RLPL suits of that vintage, and the basic shape looks similar. I can't quite make out the sleeve tag details though. It went for a very decent price in the end.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapel width and pocket flap size suggests a 70s make date.

Avoid.

ineffable

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll try to be of some help...

Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
Click

Thoughts on this? I know its over but getting an idea of how old something like this might be...

This looks okay, but I don't really like the angle the pictures are taken at. Something seems funny (usually weird angles/no regular pic implies, in my mind at least, that there is something off about the item). In this case, I think it's that I this isn't really a 40s (31" coat length?).. It just has shortened sleeves and pants? If the measurements fit, then it doesn't seem to be a terrible deal. I think the suit is a few years old, but doesn't seem to be dated. Overall, could be a good find, but it's still a risk - I would ask for more pictures/information if you're really interested, otherwise I would probably pass.

Originally Posted by rioni
Brioni Escorial suit 42R currently at around 200.00. How old do you think it is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012

I have no clue, but guessing I would say it is at least 5-6 years old (and probably quite a bit older)? But, again, I really don't know. I wouldn't pay $200 for it myself, and it will probably end quite a bit higher than that. But I guess that is purely subjective - it seems to have a rather bland shape, is a true 3-button and seems to have fairly padded shoulders. If you like the styling, you could do worse for a charcoal suit - however, I would look for something that has the styling you like rather than some fancy material - these types of things get higher bids than better styled, more contemporary pieces and end up looking worse, in my experience.

Not that it has anything to do with the suit offered, but I also don't like the fact that the seller has clearly stolen comments from another ebay auction.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
Burberry car coat no bids with by now @ 299,99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250216401342

Any thought about the ebayer?

I would definitely pass on this. It reeks of thrift store pickup for something like $5-10. This is probably atleast 6-7 years old, and probably closer to 15 years old (imo - it's hard to tell sometimes due to photo quality and the fact that the burberry label has remained the same from the mid 80's until a few years ago). Then again, it depends on what kind of wear you would get out of it. If it is something that you really want, then why not? I just think you could do better at that price (the starting price.. at the buy-it-now I think you are getting genuinely screwed.)

And about the seller... Everything is overpriced (atleast what I got to.. when I saw Gucci suits @ $900 I stopped looking).

I'm not sure if all of my comments were valid, so if they're not feel free to correct me. Most of it is just my intuition which usually errs on the side of being safe unless something really catches my eye, so I'm definitely biased towards things I find visually appealing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads