• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handsewn lapels: Oxxford, Rubinacci, and Steed

The Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Great thread. I will try to photograph some Dege and Merrion suit or sportcoats if I get a chance. I will leave Raphael's to others. I am warning you now though, all of my coats have collar cuts1, so it may get ugly.

1 I am sure there is a correct term for this, which someone else can supply. I am talking about a small dart hidden under the lapel.

A neck cut, which is used on someone with a prominent chest, to throw cloth where it's needed and to control the bridle (the inside of the roll) so it doesn't bounce off the chest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
Manton,

When I snap the contrast levels up on the cotton suit, it appears to be the one that shows the most needle work on the back side, is that a side effect of the fabric choice?

I think so.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm very disappointed in some of the Oxxford pics I've seen here. I just checked my one and only Oxxford (from the 90s, in a 90s gray worsted), and it's very neat and clean.............

There has been some very nice hand work shown here.

I had never seen an Oxxford until a few years ago, I can't help but wonder if they went through a period of "dark days"??

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
There has been some very nice hand work shown here.

I had never seen an Oxxford until a few years ago, I can't help but wonder if they went through a period of "dark days"??

This could be true, although the OP M. obtained his Oxxford MTM relatively recently. I have a vintage Oxxford from the early 1960s from Maus and Hoffman that I am getting back from my alterations tailor in two weeks or so...it's a tweed, but I will try to get a photograph of it.

At least in my case, I am not too bothered by where Oxxford falls short when compared to the finest in the world, which Oxxford is not. It's okay that they are not in the very top ranks, and I still keep several Oxxfords and wear them with pleasure (as I will today).

It is interesting to see the variation in the refinement of handwork among makes and within makes.

I think that you have been instrumental, Z. in widening the base of knowledge of some of the factual construction differences among some of the big, quality RTW makers (Oxxford, Kiton, Borrelli). Oxxford seems to attempt to make a bit more of the garment by hand than the Italian RTW-oriented top brands, but at Oxxford's level of production and over time, I do not believe that they put out a product as consistent or good as a top bespoke maker.

I do not think this should be startling nor cause owners not to enjoy their Oxxfords.

In fact, owners who have Oxxfords that fit them well and that are better made than the samples I have posted should celebrate their good fortune. I mean, a practical person might ask, "Who is going to walk up to you, flip over your lapel, and critique the construction of your coat?"

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Des Merrion:

This was worn today, so the little brown thing is the corner of a wallet peeking out. The white threads on the collar melton are not stitching - they are the white threads from the cloth. The stitching is visible, but it is gray and you have to look a bit more closely.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here for interest are pictures of the best vintage frock coat from my collection. I would date it to approximately the 1910s-20s:

FrockCoat_lapel2.jpg

FrockCoat_lapel1.jpg

thomaus247

Reaction score
This might stir this thread up a little...Hickey Freemans new Handsewn line. You may have seen the ads, I saw a suit today, it was beautiful (at least for a HF). I can't confirm what exact percentage is hand sewn (the vertical seams are machine, of course), but I know it is enough to call it handsewn. I only saw one large book of fabrics so far, but very nice. Starting around super 140's for the suitings, and also jacket fabrics. They are made on the Presidential model and start around $3100.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now? The factory has shrunk from over seven floors to barely three. They have not had a great time finding replacements for retiring workers either.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Lesser fabric (the other was 12/13oz)

Err, what colour is that other 13 oz Lesser? Like, an espresso brown base with tannish brownish dots? If so, I think I have a suit in the exact same cloth. It's pretty spectacular.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Err, what colour is that other 13 oz Lesser? Like, an espresso brown base with tannish brownish dots? If so, I think I have a suit in the exact same cloth. It's pretty spectacular.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The other cloth is a Charles Clayton and it is grey, not brown.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomaus247
This might stir this thread up a little...Hickey Freemans new Handsewn line. You may have seen the ads, I saw a suit today, it was beautiful (at least for a HF). I can't confirm what exact percentage is hand sewn (the vertical seams are machine, of course), but I know it is enough to call it handsewn. I only saw one large book of fabrics so far, but very nice. Starting around super 140's for the suitings, and also jacket fabrics. They are made on the Presidential model and start around $3100.
Please forgive the late reply Mr. Maus, the lapel on this HF is close to perfect, too perfect actually, to the point I wonder if it is machine padded. Some time ago there was a raging debate about how to define, hand made, hand sewn etc. When HF says hand sewn, then every inch of it should be hand sewn. Not even Oxxford makes that claim, they, Kiton, Borrelli etc use the term hand made since little to no automated machinery is used. Not too long ago, I really did not care how they made my clothes as long as it fit well, felt great and was not fused, and to a degree, I still do not care that much today, but the production aspect of the textile trade has fascinated me. If I were to bet a cappuccino on it, I would bet that this lapel is machine padded, or done with a blind stitching machine.
smile.gif

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Now? The factory has shrunk from over seven floors to barely three. They have not had a great time finding replacements for retiring workers either.

Based on the one recent jacket of mine, I would certainly not say "now". It is a stunning piece.

Just about ever industry in NA is lacking skilled workers at the moment, how they replacing the aging work force could be make or break in the next few years for them and many others.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please forgive the late reply Mr. Maus,
the lapel on this HF is close to perfect, too perfect actually, to the point I wonder if it is machine padded.

Well, that depends on what you mean by 'perfect'. The edge stitching is perfectly uniform; to me, that means the stitches must be machine-made. They're also easily discernable and spaced relatively far from the lapel's edge. In comparison, the really good hand stitches we've seen are difficult to see at all.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, that depends on what you mean by 'perfect'. The edge stitching is perfectly uniform; to me, that means the stitches must be machine-made. They're also easily discernable and spaced relatively far from the lapel's edge. In comparison, the really good hand stitches we've seen are difficult to see at all.
Perhaps you have missed the point:
the lapel on this HF is close to perfect, too perfect actually, to the point I wonder if it is machine padded.
"too perfect" "Machine Padded" The bulk of this thread is about the guts of how the lapel is made, not the superficial or cosmetic details like pick stitching, whether real or fake. Like you, and many here, I do not like very visible pick stitching or accent thread, but that is a detail one can have altered when ordering a jacket. How the house sews the lapel is generally not open to discussion. Area of discussion:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style