• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handsewn lapels: Oxxford, Rubinacci, and Steed

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not the greatest, but photos but hopefully better than nothing. I tried to chose cloths that show the stitching (i.e., no flannels, and only one tweed, a very tight weave). I did not take pics of my Steed stuff, since that has been covered, but I could if anyone is interested. FWIW, mine is old and made when Mahon and DeBoise were still together.

Another point of interest: Shattuck and this MTM Italian outfit I used to use (based in Naples) always use a front cut, a/k/a sidebodies, a/k/a a dart that goes all the way to the bottom edge. Raphael, Flusser, and all the London makers I have tried never do.

Somewhere in the archives should be detailed photos of my one Nicolosi suit.
sarcasm.gif

Raphael (cotton):

p1020162pr9.jpg

Front edge with buttonholes:

p1020163ks8.jpg

Raphael mohair trouser, loose lap seam (sadly, the coat is in the shop, the work on it is extraordinary, and every seam is lapped):

p1020193zu0.jpg

Flusser (a/k/a Martin Greenfield):

p1020166kf1.jpg

Giacomo Trabalza:

p1020169lr8.jpg

Field:

p1020172fi3.jpg

Tobias (Savile Row; defunct):

p1020174mr7.jpg

Logsdail:

p1020176cr7.jpg

Shattuck:

p1020180eo3.jpg

Lapped rear side seams (he always laps this seam, but no others):

p1020182lo5.jpg

p1020187cj2.jpg

Men's Wearhouse:

p1020188hm1.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I too am really grateful for the education.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can just make out the under collar / breast dart in the lapel photo of my Solito:

256392105_A8ypc-L.jpg

Look directly under the turnback on the collar, and let the pinstripes guide your eye to it.

In the next photo (a quick iPhone shot, excuse the poor quality), we have another of my DeBoise pieces, a jet black (the horrors! Manton, avert your eyes!) plain worsted suit that I use for dinner and drinks. This shot shows the absence of a front, or chest, dart, but the presence of the underarm dart. This dart is is invisible unless one is flagging a cab, or has just KOed one's opponent in a ring while wearing one's bespoke suit:

256575976_GnBsw-L.jpg

This is a single-breasted coat, and shows the handsome belly to the lapel, typical of my samples from Steed. I've not seen such an execution on anything but an expertly handpadded lapel.

- B

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very disappointed in some of the Oxxford pics I've seen here. I just checked my one and only Oxxford (from the 90s, in a 90s gray worsted), and it's very neat and clean. The pic stitching is also nicely done, with just a touch of puckering (have to look closely to notice). I don't mind a little puckering with pick stitching, though, for some reason. I can promise to post a pic, but I doubt I'll get around to it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm very disappointed in some of the Oxxford pics I've seen here. I just checked my one and only Oxxford (from the 90s, in a 90s gray worsted), and it's very neat and clean. The pic stitching is also nicely done, with just a touch of puckering (have to look closely to notice). I don't mind a little puckering with pick stitching, though, for some reason. I can promise to post a pic, but I doubt I'll get around to it.

I have some Oxxford pics I might put up. Some of my suits are neat and clean on the lapel.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Caraceni Rome - horrible pics, I know:

Picture005-11.jpg

Picture004-7.jpg

Picture003-9.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
This is a very informative thread.

Seeing you post, AF, reminds me to dig out the one Edgar Pomeroy that I have...I know you are a big fan...

- B

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the plaid fabric in the second photo.

Agreed. Dopey, do you know who makes that tweed? Is it Hunters of Brora/ North Highland Tweed Co? It kind of looks like 604.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love the plaid fabric in the second photo.
Thanks. It's a favorite and I love the fit as well. If they could reproduce the cut and fit reliably, I would never have strayed. In fact, I asked them to make the other one (the blue windowpane) fit like the first (made some 7 or so years earlier) but it just didn't come out the same way).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Agreed. Dopey, do you know who makes that tweed? Is it Hunters of Brora/ North Highland Tweed Co? It kind of looks like 604.

I think it is, though it was identified by Dege as a House Check way back when. It may very well have started as such and then made by Hunters as one of their regular offerings.

Not that you asked, but he other is a standard P&H offering and there is really nothing wrong with it. I don't like seeing it treated like an ugly sister.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Manton,

When I snap the contrast levels up on the cotton suit, it appears to be the one that shows the most needle work on the back side, is that a side effect of the fabric choice?

As for the Mark's Men's Warehouse, do you recall the year it was patched together?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads